fruit is it good for you?

Options
Morning, I'm currently undertaking a no carb diet... With it I've been destroying my way through a ton of fruit and veg... Now I know fruit has a large amount of natural sugar and they suggest eating the same fruit so your body finds it easier to process it but I've recently been advised to cut fruit out almost completely and stick to veg..... I was wondering what people's thoughts were?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    topstar123 wrote: »
    Morning, I'm currently undertaking a no carb diet... With it I've been destroying my way through a ton of fruit and veg... Now I know fruit has a large amount of natural sugar and they suggest eating the same fruit so your body finds it easier to process it but I've recently been advised to cut fruit out almost completely and stick to veg..... I was wondering what people's thoughts were?

A no carb diet? That virtually impossible.

Also- why no carbs? Carbs are not the enemy.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit more than ok IMHO. I think a reduced carb but essentially balanced diet is the way forward. As in less than 50% of calories and low GI where possible.

But plenty will disagree on both counts!
  • vinster345
    vinster345 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you'll probably get differing opinions. Depends what type of diet you're going for.I assume you're doing the same diet as myself, ULC (ultra low carb) trying to reset the metabolism. I prefer to limit the fruit due to the sugar and insulin response. You can start re-introducing carbs and fruit back in after a month or so.
  • DonnellHensley567
    Options
    Fruit is an excellent source of fructose i.e, so it contains a very negligible amount of carbs so it is always good for our health. Fruit is good for everyone which keeps away from the doctor.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Fruit fills me up and keeps me from feeling hungry...
  • bethouiseevans
    bethouiseevans Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you - it has calories so if you're trying to loose weight don't go too wild but fruit is great. Great source of energy and fibre! Why the lack of carbs though?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    1) It is impossible to be on a NO carb diet. 2) Anyone who tells you than an entire food group is evil, he/she is talking nonsense.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. It has fiber, and vitamins and minerals. Plus it's tasty.

It's not exactly low-carb, though.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    PJtnTuB.jpg
  • bryant28408
    bryant28408 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No carb doesn't make sense. You need a balanced diet that you can live with. There are no evil foods or food groups. Just monitor your intake, carefully record your calories and you will do fine. The most important factor in weight control is also the factor hardest to find: Common Sense!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    low/no carb with lots of vegetables?

I think you are getting a lot of bad advice.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Fruit is an excellent source of fructose i.e, so it contains a very negligible amount of carbs so it is always good for our health. Fruit is good for everyone which keeps away from the doctor.

Huh? Fruit has carbs.

Carbs are good. Eat the fruit.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mind blowing....utterly mind blowing
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Fruit has carbs, vegetables have carbs.
    Strongly suggest you change your sources of information.

Fruit is great!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    How about you do the best of both worlds...eat fruit but fruit that is low on the GI?
    Yes, fruit has sugar...anytime sugar enters your body an insulin response from the pancreas is invoke to carry that sugar to the muscles for energy (and other places). When this happens it can kick off the fat storage process sooooo, Eat from the berry family for less sugar to keep the blood sugar low and maximize your fat loss.
  • sustainablehome
    Options
    topstar123 wrote: »
    Morning, I'm currently undertaking a no carb diet...I've recently been advised to cut fruit out almost completely and stick to veg..... I was wondering what people's thoughts were?

It depends on the fruit. Some fruits have a higher carb count than others but it's the same with veg, also. Here are some basic charts you can either download as .pdfs or view online: http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/LabelingNutrition/ucm063367.htm. It's really up to you to decide what your body wants/needs (and that includes how many carbs you eat).

• 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you are at the point where you're worrying about the healthiness of goddamn fruit, you need to reassess!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Fruit is great!

This^ x 10000
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Fruit is great!

This!
    3shirts wrote: »
    If you are at the point where you're worrying about the healthiness of goddamn fruit, you need to reassess!

And this!