Not eating enough

Options
I'm being very strict, making sure I input EVERYTHING into the app,weighing what I eat, scanning barcodes etc but I can't seem to eat my recommended calories. I know under eating is just as bad as over eating but what can I do to increase my appetite?!

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    You can add calorie dense foods like peanut butter or even some ice cream if you have the calories.
  • lennonluvr
    lennonluvr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This seems to be my problem. My "diet" before this really consisted of coffee with coffeemate creamer and one meal a day.

Eating normally now I find myself too darn full. I realize that this was because I was used to starvation mode, and not having a good idea on what is normal.

I have found that it is easier to eat the exact amount of servings. So for instance I had Wheat Thins this afternoon. The serving is 16 squares. That is what I ate. No more and no less.

If you're going to have cereal, make sure you measure out the amount of food. You'll get used to it.
  • nicnickynic
    Options
    I'm happy with one meal a day. And snacking on a piece of fruit. I've tried to eat smaller meals and more often but struggle to eat my "recommended calories".
    I'm hoping tracking everything precisely will help me, over time, increase my appetite so I can eventually lose weight!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods are your friend when you're having trouble hitting your calories. This is a generic list and doesn't account for your personal definition needs, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies or medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP how many calories a day should you be eating?
  • nicnickynic
    Options
    According to this app, after inputting my weight etc, I'm allowed 2140 calories. Every day, I'm short, between 700 and 1400.
    I've spent years retraining my brain to go from "mother says I must eat all the food on my plate" to now I only eat when I'm hungry and stop before I eat too much.
    I can't force myself to eat when I don't want anything. I just feel I'm cheating if I'm eating some of the "calorie rich" foods to boost my intake, if that makes sense!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You got overweight in the first place so you CAN actually eat enough. Don't demonise food and don't starve yourself.
  • nicnickynic
    Options
    Without sounding like I'm making excuses, I've never been anything other than what I am now. Yeah, I'm overweight, but I'm not the fattest person around. I've never been skinny but was never the fat kid in school either.
    I do a decent amount of exercise, so I don't sit around eating and being lazy all day, gaining weight.
    I spend 8 hours a day at work on my feet, not on my backside.
    And I don't eat loads of junk food.
    So I never really "got overweight" this is how my whole life has been.
  • nicnickynic
    Options
    And I don't starve myself. I just eat when I'm hungry. Which isn't as often as for some people.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    That you eat when you're hungry doesn't automatically mean you're not starving yourself. Your body adjusts. My body got used to functioning on 700 calories at one point. I wasn't hungry, but I wasn't taking care of my body either.

Anyway. You know you're under eating. You know it's not good. You probably know how to change it (eat more calorie dense foods), but you choose not to. There's really only two ways to get more calories in: eat (or drink) more or eat more calorie dense foods. Choose whichever suits you best, but also try to develop a mentality that will allow you to do either.
  • imaccountable4me
    imaccountable4me Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'd also take another look at your profile and make sure you are estimating your activity level correctly to get your recommended calories. For someone wanting to lose 66 lbs that does a decent amount of exercise 2140 calories sounds like a lot to me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    According to this app, after inputting my weight etc, I'm allowed 2140 calories. Every day, I'm short, between 700 and 1400.
    I've spent years retraining my brain to go from "mother says I must eat all the food on my plate" to now I only eat when I'm hungry and stop before I eat too much.
    I can't force myself to eat when I don't want anything. I just feel I'm cheating if I'm eating some of the "calorie rich" foods to boost my intake, if that makes sense!
    That's your problem. You didn't become overweight because you ate the calorie rich foods. You became overweight because you ate too many overall calories. It doesn't matter how long it took you to become overweight, you were still able to eat over maintenance so you should be able to eat at a standard deficit now without starving yourself.

Agreed. It's easy to say "I'm going to be healthier", restrict "bad food", and then end up undereating. Over a long period of time, it could lead to problems. Personally, I ended up binging on weekends because I was undereating during the week.

At some point we need to realize there is no bad food in the context of an overall diet. If it's all you're eating, then yes, you diet may overall be unhealthy. However, if you are eating mostly nutrient dense foods, a bar of chocolate or a bowl of ice cream is not bad, and you're not "cheating".

You don't get extra bonus points for cutting out "bad" foods, and moderate amounts of those foods don't lead to health problems (for most people - if people have impulse issues or medical conditions this may not apply). And in fact, undereating for extended periods can lead to its own health problems.
  • chrissysue
    chrissysue Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Take one day a week and pre cook meals for the entire week. Eat 6 small meals. You should be eating every 2-3 hours to "feed" your metabolism. Each meal should be around 300-400 calories. Do the math 6*350=2100. Lots of protien, chicken or fish. Try to stay away from red meat. Lots of fruit and veggies. If it is green eat as much as you want! AND drink lots of water. Eliminate sugar and salt. You will be surprised at how fast your body adapts to eating frequently and will start to tell you when it is time to eat. Best of luck to you! Hope this is of some help. :)
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Calorie rich foods aren't bad for you, and sure as heck isn't cheating. You got a whole great list above to choose from. Cook with butter and olive oil, snack on seeds and nuts, whole fat or higher fat dairy and cheese. Put some cheese sauce on your broccoli! Yum.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

If you can't eat more and you refuse to eat smarter, then it kind of feels like we're wasting our time here.

There's nothing "cheating" about eating higher calorie foods to help your intake, and most of the foods on the list I posted above aren't even traditionally considered to be "junk." A handful of nuts, a scoop of peanut butter with your fruit, an extra slice of cheese and that's 400 calories added to your day.

If you honestly cannot bring yourself to eat more, then you may want to consider addressing this with a professional who can help you get to the root of your issue.
  • nicnickynic
    Options
    Thank you auddii, chrissysue and sweetdixie92 for your kind words.
    Obviously I need to retrain the way I think about food.
    I appreciate everyone's comments and have taken things on board.
    Sometimes when you feel stuck in a rut you need someone else to push you in the right direction with a bit of encouragement.
    At no point, diannethegeek, have I said that I refuse to eat smarter, so you aren't wasting your time, but if you feel that way, then refrain from commenting in future. All opinions are taken onboard, but if you misinterpret what I say....