starvation mode, myth or truth?

Options
heyhey2015
heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Doc wants me to stay around 1000 calories, 40 p, 30f, 30c nutrition scale just for a couple months. It is working, with light exercise. I feel great but I am
wondering about all the talk of starvation mode

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's a myth.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Based on personal experience it is a truth, but under 400 kcal/day
  • heyhey2015
    Options
    Thanks. I am not well educated in this and sometimes you get so many opinions it makes you confused.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's a myth.

Starvation mode does not exist
    Metabolic adaptation does exist

They are not the same thing.

Why does your doctor want you to eat 1000 calories per day?

This.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It depends on what is meant by starvation mode. The body does start shutting down less critical functions when it doesn't get enough calories. But some people have the idea that the body could actually stop losing weight while in starvation mode. That is a myth.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

What you experience was probably severe muscle loss and metabolic adaptation/adaptive thermogenesis. If you starve your your body, your metabolism will become more efficient and burn less calories.

• hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

What you experience was probably severe muscle loss and metabolic adaptation/adaptive thermogenesis. If you starve your your body, your metabolism will become more efficient and burn less calories.

I totally agree with you, it was metabolic adaptation.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    It's a myth.

Yeah, no. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

It's a real thing. Not nearly as drastic as some people claim it is, but it's real.

You have to do some pretty mean things to your body to trigger large spikes of cortisol production. Being in an excesive calorie deficit is one way to ramp up cortisol produciton in your body (others include just stress in general, lack of sleep, etc.).

The TL;DR for the wiki: Cortisol basically does everything it can to minimize your body's energy consumption in order to maximize the time you can "survive". I am sure it was very useful to our primitive ancestors, but not terribly useful to us anymore. It tries to make you physically lighter so it takes less calories to move (reduces muscle mass, bone density), it reduces immune function, cell growth, slows the metabolism down, etc.

Basically, just don't be an idiot and you won't have to worry about it.
  • heyhey2015
    Options
    OK. Thanks for all info. As to why she wants me to try this, ? I think she feels its enough to sustain my body and still lose. I am about 50 pounds overweight. I do feel fine, and am losing weekly, not rapid, but steady. It was just a question posed to those of you who are more informed with facts.
    Thanks again
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Doc wants me to stay around 1000 calories, 40 p, 30f, 30c nutrition scale just for a couple months. It is working, with light exercise. I feel great but I am
    wondering about all the talk of starvation mode Andrew

If it is being medically supervised, follow the advice of your doctor.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    OK. Thanks for all info. As to why she wants me to try this, ? I think she feels its enough to sustain my body and still lose. I am about 50 pounds overweight. I do feel fine, and am losing weekly, not rapid, but steady. It was just a question posed to those of you who are more informed with facts.
    Thanks again
    50lbs of fat is enough to sustain a fairly substantial deficit, but it generally ends bad when doing that and most just gain the weight back, and at a higher body fat % because of the lean mass lost while consuming low calories. This is generally administered to the morbidly obese initially, to help support the general psychological hardships of weight loss. Statistics show that most gain the weight back. Personally slow and steady will little adjustment when the time comes for maintenance is the better approach, but people like magic and magic shows.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's a myth.

Starvation mode does not exist
    Metabolic adaptation does exist

They are not the same thing.

Why does your doctor want you to eat 1000 calories per day?

This^ says it all!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Thanks again
    50lbs of fat is enough to sustain a fairly substantial deficit, but it generally ends bad when doing that and most just gain the weight back, and at a higher body fat % because of the lean mass lost while consuming low calories. This is generally administered to the morbidly obese initially, to help support the general psychological hardships of weight loss. Statistics show that most gain the weight back. Personally slow and steady will little adjustment when the time comes for maintenance is the better approach, but people like magic and magic shows.

^this.

You should be laying down good habits now, so you will be successful long term.

Slow and steady really does win the race!
  • heyhey2015
    Options
    OK. Thanks. Is 1 -2 pounds a week considered "magic"? I am not being snarky, I am really asking. I thought that was reasonable. Most weeks its not 2. Maybe
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks again

You're 50 pounds overweight and your doctor is recommending you go on 1,000 calories a day?

Personally, I'd be looking for a new doctor.

And yeah, starvation mode is a myth.