incline on treadmill to lose weight

Options
knburch20
knburch20 Posts: 15 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been working out for about a week now (I'm very out of shape now) and now I'm starting to increase the incline. What's a good starting incline? I've only been able to get up to about 3.4-3.6 mph and stay at the rate for most of my workout. Anyone lose weight doing mostly walking on an incline? (How much, how long before you saw results, etc.) I'm eating on a diet of about 1300 calories. Thank you!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I lose all my weight thanks to a calorie deficit.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Well done on starting to exercise regularly. You need to watch your diet to lose weight, regardless of the amount of exercise you do. Assuming you already do that, just use an incline that makes you slightly out of breath through your workout- you should be able to say a few words but not have a full blown conversation. Aim for at least 30 mins walking per day if you can.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Get through your work out with out stopping. Then work up to another level or incline and do that without stopping. Then increase as you get into shape...
    :s:s

Oh yeah, dont' eat too much. Stay in a modest deficit, then you will see results!
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yep. I attribute all my weight loss to inclined walking. I created my calorie deficit through exercise alone. I've been going at it since the beginning of August. I don't count the last 30 days because I wasn't dieting then.

I am still trying to get my diet under control so that the burn from cardio can just be an added bonus because it's way easier to eat 500 calories than to burn it. Your weight loss journey will be a lot easier once you can refuse that 500 calorie snack altogether though.

Anywho, You can start at say an incline of 5%, but maybe you should just see how much incline you can take for say half a mile. Maybe try a hill interval program where the incline isn't intense the entire workout.

My current goal is to be able to walk at 3.5 mph with 15% incline for 60 minutes. I currently can walk 3 mph at 10% incline for 60+ minutes which maybe burns 400 or so calories... Maybe more.

I love inclined walking. Happy losing.

ETA: I cant recall how long it took before I saw results, but I've lost a total of 75 lbs to date... With 100 lbs more to go before I reach my ultimate goal weight..
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You do not need to walk at an incline to lose weight. You need to eat less calories than you burn. Whether this happens by eating less, walking, walking at an incline, running or whatever, it does not matter. Calorie deficit helps lose the weight, exercise helps get in shape.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    knburch20 wrote: »
    I've only been able to get up to about 3.4-3.6 mph and stay at the rate for most of my workout.

I'd suggest focus on pace rather than incline. When you can walk at over 4.5mph for an hour, then either start running or start to increase the incline.
  • BaranVonCoop
    BaranVonCoop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started at 0 and now I put the incline at random percentages through my workouts. As someone above mentioned, you should be able to say a few words, but don't make yourself gasp for air.

Incline is a great way to increase effectiveness of your workout, but remember that you do need to be careful to not use the handrails. (And keep your calories at a deficit, it is key)

Best of luck to you!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I say continue doing what you're doing. Even a modest speed on a high enough incline can burn amazing calories. 2 mph at 15 incline, for example, can burn about 400 net calories an hour for a 150 pound person. This helps create a deficit without cutting too much into your food intake.

You have a few options, see which appeals most to you.
    1. Start at 0 incline, increase speed gradually until you aren't able to walk any faster then start increasing incline.
    2. Start at 15 incline with the a slow speed then gradually increase the speed.
    3. Do "hills" or intervals where you walk a high incline at 85+ heart rate then recover at a low incline. Progress by increasing your speed.
    4. Do pyramids, where you start at a low incline while keeping speed constant then increase incline every minute or two, then come all the way back down. This makes you not need warmup or cooldown because they're "built-in". Progress by increasing that constant speed.
    5. Have a goal constant speed in mind and gradually increase the incline.
    6. Any other system you prefer.

I do a mashup of both 2 and 3 where I do one or the other or both depending on what I feel like doing.

No matter how you do it, make sure to always have some kind of way to progress. Good luck. I personally think incline walking is amazing. Burns almost as many calories as running with being as high imact as running.
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill I use in our gym you can set it for interval training so it will increase speed lower speed add incline increase and decrease it. If at any time you find it too tough you can lower the speed and incline maybe look at something like this. If not start at .5 when you feel able push it to 1 and so on. Maybe ask a member of staff how to use the treadmill show you the features etc.

Personally I started off walking and just increased the speed now I am running at least 15 minutes at time. Feels like I had a great work out and I feel fab afterwards.

For inclines I do hill or mountain walking.

Good luck!