I have a high resting heart rate

Options
I'm 45 and probably likely very unfit @ 20% bf . I'd like to know what my target heart rate based on a 92-95 resting rate. the absolute numbers don't really make sense.

What references do you use to know what zone I should be in fitness/fat loss etc based on a high resting heart rate?

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    go to a doctor first
  • LeftHandCyclist
    LeftHandCyclist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yup - go talk to physician!
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    will a walk in clinic do? I don't have a primary doctor.
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    I should add that I can routinely do 120bbp and can peak as high as 170 but I'm sure that is getting close to my maximal.. I have another question but I'll make another treat about it.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your doctor about the high resting heartrate to see if that will be a problem with exercising. I'm very obese but my resting heartrate is around 65-70, and I can get up to 170 with exercise without any problems. I'd be concerned about exercise if you're starting with a higher resting heartrate.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Unless you're training for a specific event where you need to pace yourself, like a marathon, you don't need to worry about target heart rates. All activities burn calories and therefore contribute to fat loss. Higher HRs simply burn more per hour, lower HR burn less. Pick whichever pace fits your preferences. Ignore the "fat burning" zone and "fitness" zones - those are old myths. Google "fat burning zone myth" to learn more.

By the way, your resting HR is within normal range and not high, according to:
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/All-About-Heart-Rate-Pulse_UCM_438850_Article.jsp

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple.
    If you are very unfit forget about training HR zones - just exercise to get fitter in the way you enjoy.

If you have heart concerns see a Doctor.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    go to a doctor first
    hessrt wrote: »
    Yup - go talk to physician!

A resting heart rate under 100bpm is not exactly cause to see a doctor. A resting heart rate between 60-100 is normal for adults. If the resting heart rate is ABOVE 100, then you should see your doctor and cut down on stimulants (caffeine, allergy med, pseudofedrine, etc).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Keep it simple.
    If you are very unfit forget about training HR zones - just exercise to get fitter in the way you enjoy.

If you have heart concerns see a Doctor.

^^ this
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Echoing that hers is in the normal range. Mine's up there too, and it's always been that way. It's usually around 87-88 or so.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Heart rate zones are based on max heart rate, not resting heart rate. An estimate of max heart rate is 220 minus your age, so 220-45=175. Moderate intensity exercise is between 50% and 70% of that (87.5 and 122.5). Vigorous intensity is between 70% and 85% of that (122.5 and 148.75). I assume the 87.5 is why you say it doesn't make sense.

It doesn't really make sense for me either. The high end of vigorous intensity for me is supposed to be 153, but my typical bicycle ride puts me above that for most of the trip, and I don't feel like I strained myself when I get back.

Simply put, we're all different. I ignore the suggested ranges because they seem meaningless. However, a resting heart rate in the 90s is an indication of being less fit, even though it is considered normal. Bicycling is a great way to bring your resting heart rate down. When I wasn't bicycling on a regular basis, I've seen a resting heart rate in the 80s. Currently, my resting heart rate is a little below 60, but I've seen it even lower. It tends to go down during the summer when I'm putting in more time on the bike and seeing my exercise heart rate hit 170 and above.
  • las357s
    las357s Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I went to the doctor yesterday and my resting heart rate was 163 :o , it's usually a tad over a hundred. I have had a stomach bug and hope that is the cause. I don't want my chest to explode the next time I work out!
  • snowy0wl
    Options
    I realize that my heart rate isn't super high. just wasn't sure where to aim for. I don't think I have a heart condition and other than breathing and and my hate for giggling I can do any exercise I throw myself at it. My maximal heart rate based on the updated formula is 176=208-0.7*45. Thanks everyone who shared there own numbers!

I'm still waiting on polar instruments to monitor heart rate, My BP is 122/82 @ a RH of 93. which I"m tracking over time. I do notice statistically it seems to be lowering which is great but it's only been a couple of weeks.

I used to love to bike, so I'll mix that in with everything else. I will be definitely working towards working near my maximal I seem to do 160 for short periods of time than scale back to 100 and repeat. I'll need to find more concrete ways of improving this.

I agree that I'm just in the upper range. I don't have enough precursors to warrant a visit to a doctor as shown http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20047414

I'm on the cusp of middle age but that's about it. I will be watchful if any of the signs do crop up.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    snowy0wl wrote: »
    I realize that my heart rate isn't super high. just wasn't sure where to aim for. I don't think I have a heart condition and other than breathing and and my hate for giggling I can do any exercise I throw myself at it. My maximal heart rate based on the updated formula is 176=208-0.7*45. Thanks everyone who shared there own numbers!

I'm still waiting on polar instruments to monitor heart rate, My BP is 122/82 @ a RH of 93. which I"m tracking over time. I do notice statistically it seems to be lowering which is great but it's only been a couple of weeks.

I used to love to bike, so I'll mix that in with everything else. I will be definitely working towards working near my maximal I seem to do 160 for short periods of time than scale back to 100 and repeat. I'll need to find more concrete ways of improving this.

I agree that I'm just in the upper range. I don't have enough precursors to warrant a visit to a doctor as shown http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20047414

I'm on the cusp of middle age but that's about it. I will be watchful if any of the signs do crop up.

My resting heart rate used to be in the higher end (80's). It's dropped down to the lower 60's after a couple years of running.

I'll agree with others that you don't need to worry about being in a specific zone unless you're doing specific fitness training, like for running a half-marathon or marathon, where one targets certain zones for cardio endurance building. Just workout with some effort. You'll burn calories and improve your health. Your blood pressure is in the normal range, and that would've been a doctor's bigger concern.

Also understand that people can't work near their maximal heart rate for very long. For cardiovascular endurance improvement, most workouts take place at a lower percentage of max heart rate, 50-80% of max rate - in the easy to moderate intensity. Great cardiovascular improvements are gained in those zones. There's a reason distance runners do mostly "slow" runs.

• snowy0wl
    Options
    I'll need to see if 140 HR is okay for me. My concern is that at that rate I don't feel anything. then again I keep thinking it has to hurt. Being Asain does that lol.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    las357s wrote: »
    I went to the doctor yesterday and my resting heart rate was 163 :o , it's usually a tad over a hundred. I have had a stomach bug and hope that is the cause. I don't want my chest to explode the next time I work out!

YIKES!

Mine doesn't go that high on a fast 10-miler.

What did the Doc say/do ?

My non-medical opinion would tell me that's dangerously high.

Dangerously!

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I'll need to see if 140 HR is okay for me. My concern is that at that rate I don't feel anything. then again I keep thinking it has to hurt. Being Asain does that lol.

If your heart hurts for any reason, at any time, it's probably a Medical Emergency, right?

Your heart should never "hurt".

Never.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    las357s wrote: »

And they didn't do an ekg or send you to the ER? Yes, an infection or fever can raise your heart rate, but that rate is dangerous at rest.
  • snowy0wl
    Options

Your heart should never "hurt".

Never.

no the heart doesn't hurt, it's more of my neck doesn't feel nice and I get pressure in my head almost like a headache.. My breathing is not great either but all my exercise so far is 60 minutes with a cool down period during and a little after.

I felt a little dizzy after stepping off but I'm assuming the cool down period isn't enough.

I'm never clenching my chest lol.. that would be bad. I'm not into that kind of pain!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    A doctor can give you a graded exercise test (stress test) and give you a better idea what your heart is capable of. Dizziness can be caused by an abrupt stop to exercise. But it can also be a sign of other things, so you might want to watch that.