Calories in Sunflower seeds? - 292 per Tbsp?

Options
Hi there,
Just added my 1 Tbsp of sunflower seeds raw, and calories calculated at 292!!! Is this correct? Seems rather a lot and more than a Tbsp of pure oil?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Nuts / seeds are very high in calories.

More than likely, it IS correct. If you're not sure, check the packaging if you have it on hand.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    According to the USDA, a tablespoon of sunflower seeds would be about 45 calories. However, measuring spoons/cups for things like that are not all that accurate, so it would be better to use a food scale for complete accuracy.

It's likely just a bad entry. You can add "usda" to your search in the MFP database to help narrow things down. I usually just like to confirm with the source:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    According to the USDA, a tablespoon of sunflower seeds would be about 45 calories. However, measuring spoons/cups for things like that are not all that accurate, so it would be better to use a food scale for complete accuracy.

It's likely just a bad entry. You can add "usda" to your search in the MFP database to help narrow things down. I usually just like to confirm with the source:

Is that in shell, and the OP was hauled?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No way. Depending on how much your tablespoon of seeds weighs, it should be around 160 (per 1 ounce, 28g, it should be 165 calories according to the USDA Nutrient Database. A tablespoon is probably half an ounce by weight, at a guess.

ETA: That's for shelled, dry roasted, salted kernels
  • auddii
    edited January 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Doh! That's a great point. With calories that low, my guess is in the shell.

ETA: The listing just shows kernels, and I'm not sure what that means. I actually think that would imply not the shells, but it does seem low.
  • MezaEza
    MezaEza Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There's just under 600cals in 100g of sunflower seeds so unless you have packed that tablespoon I don't think that's correct!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

ETA: The listing just shows kernels, and I'm not sure what that means. I actually think that would imply not the shells, but it does seem low.
    KERNELS means no shell.
    47 calories a TBS of KERNELS
    165 an ounce of KERNELS.
    no shells.
  • auddii
    Options

KERNELS means no shell.
    47 calories a TBS of KERNELS
    165 an ounce of KERNELS.
    no shells.

Thanks. Need more coffee this morning...
  • snaapz
    snaapz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nuts are evil calorie/point hogs. Using MFP shed light on how a simple palm of nuts equals soooo many calories.

I'd thought a cup and a half of nuts or peanuts wasn't that bad. Now I know. Evil.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    snaapz wrote: »
    Nuts are evil calorie/point hogs. Using MFP shed light on how a simple palm of nuts equals soooo many calories.

I'd thought a cup and a half of nuts or peanuts wasn't that bad. Now I know. Evil.

Nuts are spectacularly good. Over indulgence in them is bad.