low calorie chicken dishes

Options
Hi I'm looking to try some new quick and easy chicken dishes please. I've been eating a lot of the slimming world diet cola chicken which is very nice.... Need some new ideas though. Can any one help me pls? Have two kids under four so the quicker prep the better thank you in advance.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas. I'm loving the make-in-a-bag version, but other recipes are available.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love harissa marinated chicken. Find a good store-bought harrisa, toss your chicken with enough of the harissa to coat (I sometimes add some orange juice or honey for a sweet note) and grill/bake/roast :)

A lemon/oregano marinade is great too for a Greek touch. Or whip up a quick tomato sauce (tomato passata, onion, mushrooms, olives, herbs) and let the chicken simmer in that.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How low calorie do you want? I should have some suggestions! I made this http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1521/summerinwinter-chicken last night which is in my diary at 643 including a polish potato pancake, and tonight I'm having the same with 100g of gnocchi for 583.

If you want lower then if you just put some cumin and paprika in some plain flour, coat the chicken and with a tiny bit of oil fry. Have with haricot beans (red onion, balsamic vinegar and some golden caster sugar - sweat first then add the beans and let cook through for 10 minutes) and broccoli.
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm making baked chicken breasts this is my favorite recipe - I am going to make eight or ten chicken breasts and then make the following casseroles with the leftovers and freeze them
    -
    Baked chicken. https://dashingdish.com/recipe/the-worlds-best-baked-chicken/

Tex mex casserole. http://www.bhg.com/recipe/poultry/tex-mex-chicken-and-rice-casserole/

Chicken noodle casserole. http://www.bhg.com/recipe/poultry/tex-mex-chicken-and-rice-casserole/

Chicken cashew casserole. http://www.bhg.com/recipe/garlic-cashew-and-chicken-casserole/
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Rick Gallops low GI chicken with cherry tomatoes and tarragon, i think youll find it in the database. It is delicious and easy whether on a diet or not.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Chicken and mushrooms in BBQ sauce (doesn't have to be a lot of BBQ, just enough to marinade) and some garlic cloves.
    I also use the tomato Italian sauce I use for bolognese with chicken to mix it up a bit.
    2 cloves of garlic, mixed herbs, 1 tablespoon of paprika, tinned tomatoes and tomato puree. Simple! :) You can add peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, onions and all sorts to this.
  • channi_c
    channi_c Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i DO A CHICKEN JAMABALYA TWIST

chicken breasts, 2 peppers, 2 onions, garlic, chilli, passata and jerk chicken seasoning + 200g of whole grain rice does at least 4 large portions and its delicious even nice in the roasting bags throw it all in on 180 for nearly an hour x
  • txlawyer87
    txlawyer87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Skinny baked chicken parmesan off skinnytaste.com. It's delicious, fast, and low-cal. I'm a full-time attorney and a PhD student, so I'm always on the go and have very little time to cook. This is my go-to meal when I'm in a hurry! I really recommend checking out their website :smile:
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I marinate the chicken in balsamic vinegar (or soy sauce) with some pepper and Italian seasoning overnight. bake it for 35min.

serve it with a side of edamame or greek salad.
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Pesto Chicken. Chicken breast covered in pesto, tomato slice, and mozzarella cheese melted on top. So good and easy!
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    Couldn't be easier- chicken and salsa in a crock pot
    - (whatever chicken you have, thighs, legs, wings, breasts etc)
    - its so simple and so delicious, and low cal.
  • megra034
    megra034 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Weight Watcher's Mexican Chicken Breasts recipe is rather quick (~ 35 mins. including prep) and simple. It's great because you can make it mild or spicy depending on your salsa preferences. :-) I have paired it with black beans and corn before (if you eat carbs.), but it's also really good sliced up with lettuce in a low carb. lavash bread wrap.

Recipe:
    food.com/recipe/weight-watchers-mexican-chicken-breasts-155442

Low Carb. Lavash Bread (available at my local Wal-Mart):
    josephsbakery.com/shop/flax-oat-bran-whole-wheat-square-lavash.html

If you decide to give it a try, I hope you love it!
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yumm. I think I will have to try some of these. :wink:
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    Pollart77 wrote: »
    Pesto Chicken. Chicken breast covered in pesto, tomato slice, and mozzarella cheese melted on top. So good and easy!

i do this but put it on top of cooked spaghetti squash! YUM!
  • kbogucki67
    kbogucki67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I heard these are delicious, and I'm trying these tonight!

Mu Shu Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Servings: 4 (serving size: 3 wraps each)
    Calories: 193
    Categories: Chicken & Other Poultry, Dinner, Main Dish, Thai
    Source: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-lettuce-wraps-50400000132702/

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
    • 1 tablespoon dry sherry
    • 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
    • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    • 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    • 1 (14-ounce) package coleslaw (about 4 cups)
    • 6 ounces shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast (about 1 1/2 cups)
    • 1/2 cup sliced green onions, divided
    • 12 Bibb lettuce leaves
    • 1/4 cup chopped cashews

Directions

1. Combine first 4 ingredients (through rice vinegar) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
    2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic and ginger to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add soy sauce mixture and coleslaw; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add chicken and 1/4 cup onions to pan; cook 1 minute or until coleslaw just begins to wilt. Divide chicken mixture evenly among lettuce leaves; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup onions and cashews.

• lisakirt
    lisakirt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Taco chicken

Chicken breast..rub taco seasoning on top, add shredded cheese than top with salsa..bake and enjoy..I also add sour cream on top when eating it is so yummy and the kids love it..
  • hrubner
    hrubner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sautee couple chicken breasts on stove. Add can of diced tomatoes 1/4 cup water and let tomatoes warm up. Add oregano, garlic powder and 6 oz spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted 3-4 minutes. It's is delish!!!
  • tracyqc1
    tracyqc1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's not as quick as some of the recipes mentioned here, but I just love the Weight Watcher's Bella Braised chicken. We make it in the crock pot and my kids (10, 8, and 5) love it.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=319905670
  • stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I bake chicken breasts on Sundays usually and use them throughout the week. I work 12 hour days starting at 4 am, so I am always really tired when it comes time to make dinner so I like really simple dinners..

-chop up a whole zuchinni, toss in a pan with a little evoo, add chopped up chicken breast and 1/2 cup tomato sauce.
    -bagged salad + chicken breast + handful of grape tomatoes
    -tortilla or pita with chicken breast, spinach and whatever veggies I have handy
    -chicken breast topped with salsa, avocado and a little shredded cheese
    -chicken breast, steamed broccoli and a serving of rice or noodles.
    -add a chopped up chicken breast and steamed veggies to some pasta

If I start to get sick of chicken I use my crock pot for roasts and stews..but usually precooked chicken is my go to for easy easy dinners.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Typical Sunday casserole with the kids and grandkids
    2 lbs skinless chicken breasts
    3 cups barley cooked
    6-8 stalks of celery chopped
    1 medium onion chopped
    1/2 cup mini carrots chopped
    1 cup frozen green peas
    1 large can mushroom stems and pieces
    1 cup non fat milk
    1 cup shredded parmesan (a lot of sodium in parmesan, so don't add salt to recipe)
    1 Tbs minced garlic (I use 2)
    1 Tsp rosemary
    1 Tsp thyme
    Add sour cream or plain yoghurt if you need a thickener

I aways just grab, dollop, shake, chop and stir until it looks and smells good. So this suggestion varies every time I make it. I use barley regularly instead of rice or noodles because it has more flavor, more fiber, more texture and more overall nutrient value.