Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Daily Exercise + Under Daily Calories = No Weight Loss!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

Those darn scales! Think about what you just said. You would rather weigh less than have put on muscle and lost fat but stayed the same weight? Meaning you wish you hadn't put on muscle? You should be delighted you have put on muscle!

I'm already muscular, gold. What I've said is that my goal is to be a trim/fit 190 lbs. That means 30 lbs lighter. I assume that not all of 30 lbs is fat, HOWEVER, even if I'm building muscle, MAINTAINING muscle (so we're sold) requires fat, right? So, the more muscle I (allegedly) build, the more fat my body uses to fuel/maintain it.

Or not. It depends on what book/nutritionist/doctor/trainer you read. I'm fine with all of that, because I know NO one has the ONE "silver bullet" to kill every weight demon. You must find what works for YOU. Still, my stats (6', 53, male, 229) indicate that I'm "clinically obese." Add this to the undeniable fact that I feel SO HEAVY and, yes, I want to be lighter. I want to be Dr. Jeff Life (without steroids or hormone therapy, if possible). Is that so bad?

The amount of calories you gain from increased muscle (which will not happen on your current diet) is miniscule. IIRC, it's like 6 or 10 calories per lb.

The fact that you did the HCG diet is probably one of the reasons why you are having so much trouble because the average person I have seen on that diet, loses about 50% of their weight from lean body mass. And considering it's a starvation diet, you probably had a lot of metabolic adaptation. I am working with a women that lost similar weight as you and it took a whole year of eating at maintenance and heavy weight training to stabilize her RMR to get close to where it should have been. A year ago, she wasn't losing at 1700 calories, now she is.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    It ISN'T Calorie Deficit only, since 1000 calories of Doritos doesn't equal 1000 calories of Chicken/broccoli/quinoa...but I don't know WHAT ratios are right for weight loss nor how to achieve them.

They are not equal in their ability to keep us full. So, if we weren't measuring/logging everything and sticking to a daily goal, your comment would be more meaningful. In fact, I would argue that when we are hungry (because we ate Doritos instead of filling foods), we are more likely to cheat. At least I am. Rounded tablespoons, eyeballing half a cup when it's closer to 3/4 a cup, etc.

That is very true, but if you are able to stick to the same deficit, you will lose the same regardless of what you are eating. But, I agree, with far less volume of food, it's less likely people will be able to stick to their goals.
  • DanielNotDan
    DanielNotDan Posts: 30 Member
    It ISN'T Calorie Deficit only, since 1000 calories of Doritos doesn't equal 1000 calories of Chicken/broccoli/quinoa...but I don't know WHAT ratios are right for weight loss nor how to achieve them.

This is WRONG. 1000 calories of doritoes is the same as 1000 calories of chicken/broccoli/quinoa.

So, given the same (let's call it 45-day) vigorous workout routine, you're saying that my weight loss/body composition/bmi, etc. will be IDENTICAL whether I eat 1000 calories/day of deep fried fish & chips or I eat 1000 calories/day of lean chicken/broccoli/quinoa, right? You genuinely believe that? Can you point me to any data that would confirm this finding?

I'm not sure many people would make that bet or take that challenge. Your analogy is a bit under-inflated (pun intended): a soccer ball is NOT equal to a basketball. If you believe that, I think the NBA would have a serious problem with your purchase of "100 lbs of hexa/pentagon patterned black & white balls" for their playoffs –– a ball being a ball and such.

I've ALWAYS been talking about nutritional sustenance/make up. I'm open to reading credible data/studies that "a calorie is a calorie" as far as maintaining a healthy lifestyle is concerned.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member

This is WRONG. 1000 calories of doritoes is the same as 1000 calories of chicken/broccoli/quinoa.

So, given the same (let's call it 45-day) vigorous workout routine, you're saying that my weight loss/body composition/bmi, etc. will be IDENTICAL whether I eat 1000 calories/day of deep fried fish & chips or I eat 1000 calories/day of lean chicken/broccoli/quinoa, right? You genuinely believe that? Can you point me to any data that would confirm this finding?

I'm not sure many people would make that bet or take that challenge. Your analogy is a bit under-inflated (pun intended): a soccer ball is NOT equal to a basketball. If you believe that, I think the NBA would have a serious problem with your purchase of "100 lbs of hexa/pentagon patterned black & white balls" for their playoffs –– a ball being a ball and such.

I've ALWAYS been talking about nutritional sustenance/make up. I'm open to reading credible data/studies that "a calorie is a calorie" as far as maintaining a healthy lifestyle is concerned.

So we agree a calorie is a calorie for weight loss, but not for health? In terms of body composition, I would guess that you would have trouble making any muscle gains if you weren't feeding your body enough protein.

• psuLemon

So we agree a calorie is a calorie for weight loss, but not for health? In terms of body composition, I would guess that you would have trouble making any muscle gains if you weren't feeding your body enough protein.

Calories determine weight loss, macronutrients determine composition. The whole 1000 calories of Doritos vs broccoli is the most ridiculous comparison ever. No one eats that way so to have the argument is like hitting your head against a wall for fun (Mr.M i am talking to you :wink: jk).

• DanielNotDan
    ...when eating certain kinds of foods we need to not only check the calories it has, but also the percent of Fat. We need calories to have energy during the day but consuming food with a lot of fat will make your body store it as Fat and burning Fat while burning calories is hard!! ...

So, you've only "touched on" this but it's all about calories:fat? :-) I know this is going to come across as snarky, but what you said is (in this case) anecdotal. Even though I don't mean to sound jaded or dubious, nonetheless, I am. I would suppose many of us have a collection of books by (seemingly?) credible authors, some of whom would take you – and/or your biology professor – to task on this.

Thanks for sharing. I agree, finding the formula for burning fat/calories is hard (well, it is for me, anyway). My sleuthing continues.
  • DanielNotDan
    This may be answered elsewhere in the community, but if my
    GOAL = 1500
    FOOD = 1500
    EXERCISE = 200
    REMAINDER = 200
    (something like below):

rn4vs1igge82.png

Does this mean I ought to "eat up to" 1700 calories? Or is that "200" considered my deficit?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Only if your body is burning 1500 calories a day.

You're most likely burning more than that - so 1500 is already a 'deficit' - the 200 just adds to your deficit.
  • auddii
    This may be answered elsewhere in the community, but if my
    GOAL = 1500
    FOOD = 1500
    EXERCISE = 200
    REMAINDER = 200
    (something like below):

rn4vs1igge82.png

Does this mean I ought to "eat up to" 1700 calories? Or is that "200" considered my deficit?

Yes. However, MFP can often overestimate calorie burns as can the counter on cardio machines. I'd suggest eating back half to two-thirds of the calories it tells you and see how you do. You'll need to balance how you feel (are you super hungry after workouts, do you have enough energy through the day) and how it affects your weight loss.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Fact is if you are not losing fat you are not eating at a deficit.

Some how some where you are making errors in your efforts. Be it weighing, using bad data, logging, brm , TDEE , your exercise burn rate ect.
    Reevaluate your whole program until you find the error.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2015
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Fact is if you are not losing fat you are not eating at a deficit.

Some how some where you are making errors in your efforts. Be it weighing, using bad data, logging, brm , TDEE , your exercise burn rate ect.
    Reevaluate your whole program until you find the error.

We have already addressed the logging issues but he doesn't want to believe it. Looking at the diary, most weeks only log 4-5 days out of 7. Personally, I would address that first but when we suggest it, he has gotten upset even though science has already suggested the average person under reports intake and over reports calories burned.

You are probably eat more than you think
  • DanielNotDan
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm not understanding why a 6' tall male has a caloric intake goal of 1500.

Preach it, brother.

Previously, I was doing P90x3 (daily 6x/week) + martial arts heavy bag work every other day (5 1-minute rounds with :30 rest between) and eating (roughly) 2000 c/day... gained or maintained 229.

That SUCKED. I did this for six months. I (seriously) thought I'd be, like, '300' ripped/lean after half a year.... but I'm still just kind of muscularly flabby and still considered clinically obese!

And – I can't emphasize this enough – I'm not fooling myself (or others). I eat "clean" and don't go crazy if I don't log. I don't eat cake, oreos, pie, etc. I don't cheat and then cry "Wahhh!!! Why am I STILL fat??!" I'm *kitten* dead serious about this. So, yeah. WTF am I eating 1500 calories/day? Because 1700+ wasn't working.

Somewhere (as I've mentioned in other posts) the math – at least on MFP – isn't squaring.

Monday, I started the "21-Day Shred" by Men's Health editor Mike Simone. I supplement this with my heavy bag workouts every other day. Also 3 hrs of Tennis/week. 21-Day Shred calls for alternating Strength/Interval days and eating 6 lean meals day -- (roughly) 2000 cal/day.

But (per suggestions here) I'm subtracting 500 from that number -- in case MFP is screwing with me and my food calculations. I've kept an accurate log (thus far) so, we'll see how Week 1 goes.
  • auddii

Preach it, brother.

Previously, I was doing P90x3 (daily 6x/week) + martial arts heavy bag work every other day (5 1-minute rounds with :30 rest between) and eating (roughly) 2000 c/day... gained or maintained 229.

That SUCKED. I did this for six months. I (seriously) thought I'd be, like, '300' ripped/lean after half a year.... but I'm still just kind of muscularly flabby and still considered clinically obese!

And – I can't emphasize this enough – I'm not fooling myself (or others). I eat "clean" and don't go crazy if I don't log. I don't eat cake, oreos, pie, etc. I don't cheat and then cry "Wahhh!!! Why am I STILL fat??!" I'm *kitten* dead serious about this. So, yeah. WTF am I eating 1500 calories/day? Because 1700+ wasn't working.

Somewhere (as I've mentioned in other posts) the math – at least on MFP – isn't squaring.

Monday, I started the "21-Day Shred" by Men's Health editor Mike Simone. I supplement this with my heavy bag workouts every other day. Also 3 hrs of Tennis/week. 21-Day Shred calls for alternating Strength/Interval days and eating 6 lean meals day -- (roughly) 2000 cal/day.

But (per suggestions here) I'm subtracting 500 from that number -- in case MFP is screwing with me and my food calculations. I've kept an accurate log (thus far) so, we'll see how Week 1 goes.
    From that description (and as previously stated), it sounds like an accuracy in counting/logging issue. You can still overconsume calories eating "clean".
  • psuLemon
    auddii wrote: »

Preach it, brother.

From that description (and as previously stated), it sounds like an accuracy in counting/logging issue. You can still overconsume calories eating "clean".

Also would like to point out that P90X3 is not a big calorie burner. So being older, having previously been on a HCG diet and inaccuracies in track will lead to over consumption of calories and maintenance.

OP, have you gotten blood work recently?
  • DanielNotDan

Yes. However, MFP can often overestimate calorie burns as can the counter on cardio machines. I'd suggest eating back half to two-thirds of the calories it tells you and see how you do. You'll need to balance how you feel (are you super hungry after workouts, do you have enough energy through the day) and how it affects your weight loss.

Wait. WHAT? Eat, like 750-900 calories/day? No way. REALLY?
    That. Sounds. Ridiculous.

I'm not bee-atch-slapping you, Auddii! It just sounds like a crazy, drastic move, given my level of (granted, self-assessed, but honest) vigorous workouts and my eating regimen. I've mentioned it before, but I did a 500 c/day (HCG) diet and, while I had tremendous success, swore that this time I would lose weight/get strong using the "traditional" route.

I had hoped my results would be FAR better after over 6 months of P90x3 (AND occasionally P90x) workouts @ 1800-2000 c/day. So, I'm adjusting my sails, so to speak.
  • psuLemon

Wait. WHAT? Eat, like 750-900 calories/day? No way. REALLY?
    That. Sounds. Ridiculous.

I'm not bee-atch-slapping you, Auddii! It just sounds like a crazy, drastic move, given my level of (granted, self-assessed, but honest) vigorous workouts and my eating regimen. I've mentioned it before, but I did a 500 c/day (HCG) diet and, while I had tremendous success, swore that this time I would lose weight/get strong using the "traditional" route.

I had hoped my results would be FAR better after over 6 months of P90x3 (AND occasionally P90x) workouts @ 1800-2000 c/day. So, I'm adjusting my sails, so to speak.

She is suggesting eat 2/3 of the extra burned calories from exercise, not your base calories.

And your tremendous loss with HCG is probably what is making it more difficult now.
  • DanielNotDan
    psulemon wrote: »
    Also would like to point out that P90X3 is not a big calorie burner. So being older, having previously been on a HCG diet and inaccuracies in track will lead to over consumption of calories and maintenance.

OP, have you gotten blood work recently?

Well,
    1) what calorie burn numbers would you use for a P90x3 workout? Say, the MMX workout (which is my "go-to")? Plus,
    2) 5 1-minute/rest :30 heavy-bag martial arts (kicking/punching) workout?

No blood work ups recently. Why do you ask?
  • DanielNotDan
    edited January 2015
    psulemon wrote: »

She is suggesting eat 2/3 of the extra burned calories from exercise, not your base calories.

And your tremendous loss with HCG is probably what is making it more difficult now.

Whew! Thanks! I panicked. Yeah... MAYBE my HCG weight loss is a factor, but that's obviously conjecture. And I don't know how to rule that out/compensate for that after the fact.
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    edited January 2015
    Suggestion: Adjust your macros to 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, and 20% fat. You're eating double your fat it seems from the week of logging I saw. Almost 100 grams per day. For a guy who is weight training, you should be eating more protein as well. Reduce the foods with fat and add more protein and healthy carbs.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    fishernd wrote: »
    Suggestion: Adjust your macros to 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, and 20% fat. You're eating double your fat it seems from the week of logging I saw. Almost 100 grams per day. Try to re-balance the three.

His macro balance shouldn't be inhibiting his ability to lose weight. The culprit(s) are more likely inaccurate logging, metabolic adaptation from his previous VLCD, and possibly an undiagnosed medical issue like hypothyroidism since he hasn't had blood work done lately.