Daily Exercise + Under Daily Calories = No Weight Loss!

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    KT022 wrote: »
    Just me (?) - But I notice a lot that if I don't eat ENOUGH calories (my output often ending up at 5-600 calories burned a day) I don't lose weight. My body freaks out and I gain weight. This has happened to me a lot in the past and I have successfully last weight last year eating around 2100 cals a day, a 5km walk and 50minute resistance session. I wasn't using MFP at that point, but it sure worked. Now I'm trying to do it by myself and I think I am eating too few calories again. It's just something that you might need to look into!

So your body defies the laws of physics?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP- I think we are in a similar situation. I eat right, 13-1400 calories a day, get some exercise and can't move the scale. I have reciently changed my macros and it seems to be helping. The scale still isn't moving, but clothes fit differently.

Good luck- I'm ~26% and targeting 20%.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Just BTW to all the calorie is a calorie is a calorie bs- macros. If I can change those and lose, what's your explanation there? Loads of research out there on this... :p

You'll have to restate that question to get an answer since I'm not sure really what you're asking.

A possible answer is that it's a satiety issue. You feel more satisfied, which leads to better adherence to your calorie goal. Macros to an extent should be based on your personal preference. Eat what keeps you satiated and helps you reach your goals (although you should aim to get sufficient protein and fat).
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It ISN'T Calorie Deficit only, since 1000 calories of Doritos doesn't equal 1000 calories of Chicken/broccoli/quinoa...but I don't know WHAT ratios are right for weight loss nor how to achieve them.

This is WRONG. 1000 calories of doritoes is the same as 1000 calories of chicken/broccoli/quinoa.

A calorie is a unit of measurement. It's like saying '100 lbs of soccer balls does not weigh the same as 100 lbs of basketballs'.

When it comes right down to it caloric deficit = weight loss. If you are not losing weight (and it's not just water retention which also causes fluctuations in weight) - it is because you're OVERESTIMATING exercise or UNDERESTIMATING the food you're eating. End of story.
    Look at that first - forget the clean eating thing (in reference to your weight loss), clean eating is a myth.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    It ISN'T Calorie Deficit only, since 1000 calories of Doritos doesn't equal 1000 calories of Chicken/broccoli/quinoa...but I don't know WHAT ratios are right for weight loss nor how to achieve them.

They are not equal in their ability to keep us full. So, if we weren't measuring/logging everything and sticking to a daily goal, your comment would be more meaningful. In fact, I would argue that when we are hungry (because we ate Doritos instead of filling foods), we are more likely to cheat. At least I am. Rounded tablespoons, eyeballing half a cup when it's closer to 3/4 a cup, etc.

• DanielNotDan
    DanielNotDan Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Those darn scales! Think about what you just said. You would rather weigh less than have put on muscle and lost fat but stayed the same weight? Meaning you wish you hadn't put on muscle? You should be delighted you have put on muscle!

I'm already muscular, gold. What I've said is that my goal is to be a trim/fit 190 lbs. That means 30 lbs lighter. I assume that not all of 30 lbs is fat, HOWEVER, even if I'm building muscle, MAINTAINING muscle (so we're sold) requires fat, right? So, the more muscle I (allegedly) build, the more fat my body uses to fuel/maintain it.

Or not. It depends on what book/nutritionist/doctor/trainer you read. I'm fine with all of that, because I know NO one has the ONE "silver bullet" to kill every weight demon. You must find what works for YOU. Still, my stats (6', 53, male, 229) indicate that I'm "clinically obese." Add this to the undeniable fact that I feel SO HEAVY and, yes, I want to be lighter. I want to be Dr. Jeff Life (without steroids or hormone therapy, if possible). Is that so bad?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

Those darn scales! Think about what you just said. You would rather weigh less than have put on muscle and lost fat but stayed the same weight? Meaning you wish you hadn't put on muscle? You should be delighted you have put on muscle!

I'm already muscular, gold. What I've said is that my goal is to be a trim/fit 190 lbs. That means 30 lbs lighter. I assume that not all of 30 lbs is fat, HOWEVER, even if I'm building muscle, MAINTAINING muscle (so we're sold) requires fat, right? So, the more muscle I (allegedly) build, the more fat my body uses to fuel/maintain it.

Or not. It depends on what book/nutritionist/doctor/trainer you read. I'm fine with all of that, because I know NO one has the ONE "silver bullet" to kill every weight demon. You must find what works for YOU. Still, my stats (6', 53, male, 229) indicate that I'm "clinically obese." Add this to the undeniable fact that I feel SO HEAVY and, yes, I want to be lighter. I want to be Dr. Jeff Life (without steroids or hormone therapy, if possible). Is that so bad?

The amount of calories you gain from increased muscle (which will not happen on your current diet) is miniscule. IIRC, it's like 6 or 10 calories per lb.

The fact that you did the HCG diet is probably one of the reasons why you are having so much trouble because the average person I have seen on that diet, loses about 50% of their weight from lean body mass. And considering it's a starvation diet, you probably had a lot of metabolic adaptation. I am working with a women that lost similar weight as you and it took a whole year of eating at maintenance and heavy weight training to stabilize her RMR to get close to where it should have been. A year ago, she wasn't losing at 1700 calories, now she is.
  • auddii
    Options

They are not equal in their ability to keep us full. So, if we weren't measuring/logging everything and sticking to a daily goal, your comment would be more meaningful. In fact, I would argue that when we are hungry (because we ate Doritos instead of filling foods), we are more likely to cheat. At least I am. Rounded tablespoons, eyeballing half a cup when it's closer to 3/4 a cup, etc.

That is very true, but if you are able to stick to the same deficit, you will lose the same regardless of what you are eating. But, I agree, with far less volume of food, it's less likely people will be able to stick to their goals.
  • DanielNotDan
    Options

This is WRONG. 1000 calories of doritoes is the same as 1000 calories of chicken/broccoli/quinoa.

So, given the same (let's call it 45-day) vigorous workout routine, you're saying that my weight loss/body composition/bmi, etc. will be IDENTICAL whether I eat 1000 calories/day of deep fried fish & chips or I eat 1000 calories/day of lean chicken/broccoli/quinoa, right? You genuinely believe that? Can you point me to any data that would confirm this finding?

I'm not sure many people would make that bet or take that challenge. Your analogy is a bit under-inflated (pun intended): a soccer ball is NOT equal to a basketball. If you believe that, I think the NBA would have a serious problem with your purchase of "100 lbs of hexa/pentagon patterned black & white balls" for their playoffs –– a ball being a ball and such.

I've ALWAYS been talking about nutritional sustenance/make up. I'm open to reading credible data/studies that "a calorie is a calorie" as far as maintaining a healthy lifestyle is concerned.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

So, given the same (let's call it 45-day) vigorous workout routine, you're saying that my weight loss/body composition/bmi, etc. will be IDENTICAL whether I eat 1000 calories/day of deep fried fish & chips or I eat 1000 calories/day of lean chicken/broccoli/quinoa, right? You genuinely believe that? Can you point me to any data that would confirm this finding?

I'm not sure many people would make that bet or take that challenge. Your analogy is a bit under-inflated (pun intended): a soccer ball is NOT equal to a basketball. If you believe that, I think the NBA would have a serious problem with your purchase of "100 lbs of hexa/pentagon patterned black & white balls" for their playoffs –– a ball being a ball and such.

I've ALWAYS been talking about nutritional sustenance/make up. I'm open to reading credible data/studies that "a calorie is a calorie" as far as maintaining a healthy lifestyle is concerned.

So we agree a calorie is a calorie for weight loss, but not for health? In terms of body composition, I would guess that you would have trouble making any muscle gains if you weren't feeding your body enough protein.

• psuLemon
    Options

So we agree a calorie is a calorie for weight loss, but not for health? In terms of body composition, I would guess that you would have trouble making any muscle gains if you weren't feeding your body enough protein.

Calories determine weight loss, macronutrients determine composition. The whole 1000 calories of Doritos vs broccoli is the most ridiculous comparison ever. No one eats that way so to have the argument is like hitting your head against a wall for fun (Mr.M i am talking to you :wink: jk).

• DanielNotDan
    Options
    ...when eating certain kinds of foods we need to not only check the calories it has, but also the percent of Fat. We need calories to have energy during the day but consuming food with a lot of fat will make your body store it as Fat and burning Fat while burning calories is hard!! ...

So, you've only "touched on" this but it's all about calories:fat? :-) I know this is going to come across as snarky, but what you said is (in this case) anecdotal. Even though I don't mean to sound jaded or dubious, nonetheless, I am. I would suppose many of us have a collection of books by (seemingly?) credible authors, some of whom would take you – and/or your biology professor – to task on this.

Thanks for sharing. I agree, finding the formula for burning fat/calories is hard (well, it is for me, anyway). My sleuthing continues.
  • DanielNotDan
    Options
    This may be answered elsewhere in the community, but if my
    GOAL = 1500
    FOOD = 1500
    EXERCISE = 200
    REMAINDER = 200
    (something like below):

rn4vs1igge82.png

Does this mean I ought to "eat up to" 1700 calories? Or is that "200" considered my deficit?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Only if your body is burning 1500 calories a day.

You're most likely burning more than that - so 1500 is already a 'deficit' - the 200 just adds to your deficit.
  • auddii
    Options
    This may be answered elsewhere in the community, but if my
    GOAL = 1500
    FOOD = 1500
    EXERCISE = 200
    REMAINDER = 200
    (something like below):

rn4vs1igge82.png

Does this mean I ought to "eat up to" 1700 calories? Or is that "200" considered my deficit?

Yes. However, MFP can often overestimate calorie burns as can the counter on cardio machines. I'd suggest eating back half to two-thirds of the calories it tells you and see how you do. You'll need to balance how you feel (are you super hungry after workouts, do you have enough energy through the day) and how it affects your weight loss.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Fact is if you are not losing fat you are not eating at a deficit.

Some how some where you are making errors in your efforts. Be it weighing, using bad data, logging, brm , TDEE , your exercise burn rate ect.
    Reevaluate your whole program until you find the error.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Fact is if you are not losing fat you are not eating at a deficit.

Some how some where you are making errors in your efforts. Be it weighing, using bad data, logging, brm , TDEE , your exercise burn rate ect.
    Reevaluate your whole program until you find the error.

We have already addressed the logging issues but he doesn't want to believe it. Looking at the diary, most weeks only log 4-5 days out of 7. Personally, I would address that first but when we suggest it, he has gotten upset even though science has already suggested the average person under reports intake and over reports calories burned.

You are probably eat more than you think