Vegetarian/vegan muscle building

Options
Recently been trying to make the transition to a more vegetarian lifestyle, my main goals right now are to build muscle and hopefully put on some healthy weight. I am about to start the starting strength program, which is heavy compound lifting 3 days a week and will be aiming for around 2400 calories.

I am wondering If there are any vegetarian or vegan weight lifters and how you get enough calories and proteins for muscle building or any tips really, also If anyone wants to add me and share food diary's for Ideas that be really helpful as well.

Replies

• AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've just posted this which might interest you http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/591196-any-vegetarians-started-eating-meat-again

If I was you I wouldn't become veggie, especially if you are planning on lifting. I always thought it was a healthier way of life, but it really isn't in my opinion. I've been veggie for 23 years and if I could turn the clock back I would not have made the decision to stop eating meat. I'm really struggling now to get nearly enough protein (I try to get 30% protein daily which you should do if you are planning on building muscle), even with protein shakes etc. I'm also battling with vitamin deficiencies which made me really ill.

It's got to be your decision however and I really don't want to burst your bubble, but make this an informed decision. :smile:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat but I do eat fish and have done for 19 years. I do hit my protein goals but I think I would struggle without fish, but that is just down to my food preferences.
  • OldHickory28
    Options
    Not sure if this question is still relevant to you. Here's my answer. YES.

My friend and I are both vegan, have been for years. We also hit the gym 3-5 times a week for strength training and rock climbing. Over the past three years, I've put on about 35 lbs, and my body fat percentage has only increased about 1-2%. Strength gains have very significant. Same for my friend. We both make an effort to get between 120-200 grams of protein per day. We use homemade seitan, brown-rice protein/pre-protein shakes (Vega makes the best, but it's pricey), tofu, tempeh, and Boca/Tofurkey/Field Roast products. It's pretty easy to get over 100 grams per day with just food, and if you incorporate protein shakes, you can easily get to 200 grams. Shoot for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, and you will make gains.
  • Lowell_Zapata
    Lowell_Zapata Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    AH2013 wrote: »
    I've just posted this which might interest you http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/591196-any-vegetarians-started-eating-meat-again

If I was you I wouldn't become veggie, especially if you are planning on lifting. I always thought it was a healthier way of life, but it really isn't in my opinion. I've been veggie for 23 years and if I could turn the clock back I would not have made the decision to stop eating meat. I'm really struggling now to get nearly enough protein (I try to get 30% protein daily which you should do if you are planning on building muscle), even with protein shakes etc. I'm also battling with vitamin deficiencies which made me really ill.

It's got to be your decision however and I really don't want to burst your bubble, but make this an informed decision. :smile:

What a ill-informed and ridiculous response. Struggling to get enough protein! :) vitamin deficiencies!!? There are 100 million Hindus who never eat meat, of any kind. Many million Buddhists as well...The Shaolin Temple was a vegetarian-only monastery. Any research at all into this lifestyle will show you that a B-12 supplement needs to be part of our lives ..

Then: beans.... brown rice.... Hemp protein...Rice protein...Peas....Tofu.....

The fact you regret a major life-decision, doesn't mean your opinion is valuable.

• ashes1017
    ashes1017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

What a ill-informed and ridiculous response. Struggling to get enough protein! :) vitamin deficiencies!!? There are 100 million Hindus who never eat meat, of any kind. Many million Buddhists as well...The Shaolin Temple was a vegetarian-only monastery. Any research at all into this lifestyle will show you that a B-12 supplement needs to be part of our lives ..

The fact you regret a major life-decision, doesn't mean your opinion is valuable.

I'm so glad you wrote this. Ppl on this blog have no idea about being vegan or vegetarian. Ppl annoy me with their comments without being properly educated!

There are so many vegan body builders, athletes and so on who are much healthier than people who eat meat. It takes a little knowledge to become vegan but never should you regret doing it. Not only will you feel better and be healthier if done correctly you'll be saving all the unnecessary suffering of many animals!
  • crownjewel82
    crownjewel82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Agreed. Vegan is totally doable. I don't do it because ... carnivore but it can be done. In addition to B-12 (which does have vegetarian formulations) you want to watch your iron and fat intake. In addition to the soy and bean products listed above I recommend olives, avocados, nuts, and plenty of leafy green vegetables. And, I always recommend this, talk to your doctor.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    There are healthy and unhealthy vegetarians, just like there are healthy and unhealthy meat eaters. it may work well for you, and it may not. Give it a try, be open to making adjustments as you go, and see how it works for you.

That said, I'm a vegetarian, I lift weights and have bulked before. It's much easier to get adequate vegetarian protein if you're on 2400 calories than it is if you're trying to cut. My life does tend to be a never-ending hunt for protein (I average about 120-125g per day), so I'm always filling in my protein first and then building the rest of the meal around the protein. I eat a lot of greek yogurt, cottage cheese and eggs, plus whey protein powder and bars.

I'll send you a FR -- it looks like we have similar goals.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I'm not a bodybuilder, but I am vegan, and I have no issues getting in enough protein. Most days I wind up @ 80-100, and that's on a calorie deficit. If you are eating appropriately, and possibly supplementing with a vegan protein powder, you shouldn't have any issues at all.

My diary is open if you want to peek.

Tonight we're having seitan. 26 grams of protein/169 calories. :D