i want to gain muscle, but im cautious of getting chubby again

Options
I want to achieve the flat stomach I've always dreamed of, but also want to gain muscle. I'm worried that putting on weight will just turn into fat and will gain more fat on my stomach

Replies

• SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    You need to have a calorie deficit to loose fat. The deficit you get with eating less and combined with exercises you get the desired result.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Gain in a small surplus (0.25 a week) and fat gain will be minimal combined with resistance training. Truthfully you will probs get a little doughy round your midsection gaining weight just due to all the carbs, but all the muscle will make losing it easier when your muscles burn more total cals.
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle you need to eat above your maintenance calories. If you don't want to gain fat this is going to be a very slow process. Like dwolfe1985 said, if you eat to gain 0.25 a week you will not gain much fat. Take a measurement of your body fat now, and once a week while eating at a surplus and see if you gain much body fat in 6 weeks time.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh, geez. Women do not get chubby from muscle development. It's genetically impossible.

Go ahead, MFP - remove this. :#
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Oh, geez. Women do not get chubby from muscle development. It's genetically impossible.

I think the OP is just alluding to the fact she knows she'll have to eat at a surplus (and I assume she's weight training too) to gain muscle, and is just asking if there's a way to minimise the fat gain.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If you need to drop weight to lose belly fat then start lifting in a slight caloric deficit until you get to were you want to be then slowly raise your calories until you find your maintenance. Once you have that then slowly raise intake again and start bulking.

If you are doing it right you won't gain much fat back while you put on muscle.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

On a gaining/bulk cycle you will put on some fat as well as muscle. It likely will be minimal but the bloating and rise in the scale can mess with your head. So OPs concerns are legitimate.

I am not sure what your stats are, but if you still have some uncomfortable belly fat listen to @Wheelhouse15
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

No- but it's pretty standard to gain weigh while trying to put on muscle.

it's going to happen- like it or not- so yeah- they can get a little "chubby" as you say from muscle development- it's not the same- and it doesn't look the same but there is no question added weight in terms of fat and muscle.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - you need to pick a goal and stick to it. Either cut more fat until your somtach is "flat enough" and then bulk and add muscle. Or do a bulk now and add muscle, and then cut the fat off.

If you want to add muscle you WILL gain fat….

• ndj1979
    Options
    To gain muscle you need to eat above your maintenance calories. If you don't want to gain fat this is going to be a very slow process. Like dwolfe1985 said, if you eat to gain 0.25 a week you will not gain much fat. Take a measurement of your body fat now, and once a week while eating at a surplus and see if you gain much body fat in 6 weeks time.

eh, .25 gain per week is just going to be spinning her wheels. woman have a hard enough time gaining muscle, and .25 is going to nothing for OP ..IMO...
  • PoisonBanana
    PoisonBanana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same predicament as the op but I'm a male. I got my body fat within 1% of where I want it but I want to gain mass without the fat. Looks like slowly upping my calories and more weight training is the way to go?
  • grantevans11
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

eh, .25 gain per week is just going to be spinning her wheels. woman have a hard enough time gaining muscle, and .25 is going to nothing for OP ..IMO...

The focal point of the OP is to avoid gaining fat, specifically belly fat. Any more than .25kg isn't going to work.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same predicament as the op but I'm a male. I got my body fat within 1% of where I want it but I want to gain mass without the fat. Looks like slowly upping my calories and more weight training is the way to go?

That's exactly it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

The focal point of the OP is to avoid gaining fat, specifically belly fat. Any more than .25kg isn't going to work.

what is the point then? and if she eats over maintenance she is going to gain some fat...no matter how small the surplus....

if fat gain is that much of a concern then she should lose another five pounds and then bulk....
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    OP - It's just reality that you will gain some fat along with the muscle. I would recommend not going down this road until you're mentally prepared for that. It makes a world of difference for the whole process. My first "bulk" got cut short due to an injury but I also wasn't totally ready for the gains. This time around I was ready for it and I've been fine with it. In fact, I'm actually really happy with it. Between the strength gains and just general well-being gains, I've become really OK with the loss of abs and a bit more junk in the trunk. Not to say I won't try and cut a little come summer time, but it's not a focus or priority right now. Point is, be mentally ready first. Then you can really make the most of it.
  • grantevans11
    Options

what is the point then? and if she eats over maintenance she is going to gain some fat...no matter how small the surplus....

if fat gain is that much of a concern then she should lose another five pounds and then bulk....

I agree she will gain some fat, but the OP wants to keep it to a minimum.

In 2014 I gained 9.8kg, which is less than .25 pw, and I only gained .4% bodyfat during this period, this is why I suggest such a low weekly target.
  • ndj1979
    Options

In 2014 I gained 9.8kg, which is less than .25 pw, and I only gained .4% bodyfat during this period, this is why I suggest such a low weekly target.

Fair enough...

I just think that OP is going to do better losing another five pounds then going for the bulk ...but that is just my opinion...
  • 3lliestafford
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone! I appreciate it. I'm going to lose a bit first before I do:) like Casey thirteen said I need to be mentally prepared for it:) I appreciate all of your comments :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Cool story
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

For a man that slow of a bulk may work. She is probably going to need to gain at a higher rate to accomplish her goal of muscle gain. She will have to get over the slight stomach fat gain. A good smart cut will take care of that. She will look better as well afterwards, and probably be able to eat more on that cut. Who doesn't love cutting on more calories?