Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have to second the grapes, I can't wait until they come into season.
    I also find Siggi's yogurt expensive, but it's my favorite kind, so I tolerate the price.
    QuestBars, mozzarella sticks (is anyone else paying $4 a bag?), and Weight Watchers brand bread.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    eatsyork wrote: »
    Grass-fed beef - from $7 for 1 lb ground to $40 for 1 lb of higher grade tenderloin

There is very little nutritional difference between "grass fed" and feedlot beef.

Antibiotics are not vitamins.

Grass-fed does not mean antibiotic-free.

In fact, grass-fed doesn't even preclude finishing the animal in a conventional feed lot.

I think you are wrong here. It does not mean no antibiotics, but I'm pretty sure grass fed on the label (in the US) means the cattle can only be fed mother's milk and forage during their lifetime. The forage can be from grazing or from hay or other stored forage, but it could not include corn, which is used in a convential feed lot.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fetchTemplateData.do?template=TemplateN&rightNav1=GrassFedMarketingClaimStandards&topNav=&leftNav=GradingCertificationandVerfication&page=GrassFedMarketingClaims&resultType=
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant and a loaf of bread for me is $6.49!!!! And seriously, it is the smallest loaf ever! Pretty much any grain products (crackers, cereal, pasta etc) I'm paying 3-4 times more. Needless to say, all these things are rarities in my daily diet. :s
  • amnicr
    amnicr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought multi-grain bread and it ended up being something like $4.99 opposed to you're run of the mill white bread for $.79! Avocados can get pricey. I bought frozen fruit yesterday that wasn't even name brand, and it was $5 EACH BAG!!! Come on now!

All seafood and fish is pricey... I always want to get real, fresh salmon but never can afford it. Have bought frozen before and they usually taste bad and are still expensive anyway. Soy milk is more expensive by a long-shot than regular milk... but I just bought some in a box yesterday that wasn't in the fridge aisle and it was much cheaper. Any ground beef, ground chicken, chicken anything really... I just can't handle the meat aisle anymore because all the healthier options (turkey bacon, ground turkey, etc) are SO much more than everything else.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Grass-fed beef - from $7 for 1 lb ground to $40 for 1 lb of higher grade tenderloin

There is very little nutritional difference between "grass fed" and feedlot beef.
    Potentially true, if you ignore fat content.

The difference in fat levels between grass and feedlot fed is trivial compared to the difference between either and wild game. Nothing raised in a pasture is going to be particularly "natural".

People may as well pick based on taste and price preferences.
    Sorry, the era of the auroch is over, not relevant.

There is a significant difference between grass fed and grain fed if you're talking fat content. There is further difference if you talk industrial vs small producer.

Your thoughts about pastures make me think you are an urbanite.

I raise free range (really free range) heritage breed pigs. "Friends and family" use and supply a very small number of premium restaurants in the area. Make the best bacon within...a wide radius. Expanding into wider range of charcuterie this fall.

The nutritional differences are not significant - sorry.

If you don't think fat/lean mix is a nutritional difference, then that's a matter of your beliefs being held over reality.

Good luck with the charcuterie, I got into that about a dime back, and make the best stuff in my local region with the stuff I get from a local farmer. Fun hobby.
  • dbmata
    Options

In fact, grass-fed doesn't even preclude finishing the animal in a conventional feed lot.

I think you are wrong here. It does not mean no antibiotics, but I'm pretty sure grass fed on the label (in the US) means the cattle can only be fed mother's milk and forage during their lifetime. The forage can be from grazing or from hay or other stored forage, but it could not include corn, which is used in a convential feed lot.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fetchTemplateData.do?template=TemplateN&rightNav1=GrassFedMarketingClaimStandards&topNav=&leftNav=GradingCertificationandVerfication&page=GrassFedMarketingClaims&resultType=

In general, he's usually wrong. He is right about the antibiotics though.

All cattle is grass fed. Occasionally they may need antibiotics, but if they aren't grain finished in a feed lot, the needed antibiotic load for health will be significantly lower.

Grass fed (and finished) cattle are pastured, and never sent to an industrial feed lot. You are basically correct with your statement about what they can eat, etc. They can eat corn though, just not like in a feed lot.

What's nice about that is that basically instead of being sent to a feed lot, they just get a bolt in the head and on to processing. What's sad is when people spend $15 a pound for grass fed ground beef, which I saw recently in San Francisco.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    How do you know that the pastured eggs are really from free roaming hens since there is no legal standard for labelling? At least there is not in the US.

I just hope for the best haha. There is a huge community of Mennonite farmers in my province and they tend to stick to pretty traditional practices. I either buy directly or through a supplier I trust (they show me videos of the chickens and they look happy). There is of course an element of trust, nothing in life can be 100% certain. The whites are also thicker, the yolks are bright orange, they taste different than supermarket eggs. Even if I'm being conned about the chickens being able to eat bugs, they are a much higher quality product and not from a factory farm.

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    meat and produce in particular but also cheese and anything that is geared towards a low carb diet like low carb tortillas
  • dbmata
    Options
    what does a happy chicken look like?
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Generally all fresh produce. I'm vegetarian and shop almost exclusively in this section. I can easily drop $75 a week for 1 PERSON while maintaining a HEALTHY vegetarian lifestyle. It's absurd. It makes me so mad when I go to check out and see the person buying mac and cheese, pizza, chips, soda, etc paying a fraction what I'm paying.

Oh and goat cheese or feta cheese. You want 8.99 for 4 oz of goat cheese?!
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Gluten free food is expensive
  • dbmata
    Options
    Wait, vegetarians eat cheese?
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options

It doesn't have it's beak seared off to prevent pecking when it is jammed into a small cage with a hundred other birds with no room to take a step. It has access to run around on grass. It isn't surrounded by carcasses of birds dead from infections from living in their own filth. That sort of thing. Industrial egg farming can be pretty rough. Really, though, the thread is about food prices, not farming practices.

• Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Wait, vegetarians eat cheese?

Yes, sometimes. Vegans don't.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

They are the ones not trying to peck your eyes out. And I'm not joking.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

So every chicken that has ever been on my dinner plate was a happy chicken. Cool!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

So every chicken that has ever been on my dinner plate was a happy chicken. Cool!

I'm not sure dead chickens have feelings, so unless you are eating them live .... :o
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Conventional feedlots also use hay, alfaalfa, etc. IE, "pasture" grasses. Grass fed does not mean pastured, in the sense people usually mean - beef can be (and is) raised in complete confinement and still qualify as grass fed.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Potentially true, if you ignore fat content.

The difference in fat levels between grass and feedlot fed is trivial compared to the difference between either and wild game. Nothing raised in a pasture is going to be particularly "natural".

People may as well pick based on taste and price preferences.
    Sorry, the era of the auroch is over, not relevant.

There is a significant difference between grass fed and grain fed if you're talking fat content. There is further difference if you talk industrial vs small producer.

Your thoughts about pastures make me think you are an urbanite.

I raise free range (really free range) heritage breed pigs. "Friends and family" use and supply a very small number of premium restaurants in the area. Make the best bacon within...a wide radius. Expanding into wider range of charcuterie this fall.

The nutritional differences are not significant - sorry.

If you don't think fat/lean mix is a nutritional difference, then that's a matter of your beliefs being held over reality.

I didn't say there was no difference - I said there was no meaningful difference.

Compare any kind of farmed pig to a wild boar - now there's a difference, nutritionally and every other way.

• ambermertens
    ambermertens Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty willing to splurge on healthy food or any food item I'm having a hankering for, it's really one of my obsessions to go nuts on my health. BUT, Coconut butter and almond butter--top notch quality, are ridiculous. I priced an 8 oz jar of coconut butter at like almost 14$ !!!!!!!! I grind my own almond butter at Whole Foods for about $8. Nuts in general are pretty pricey. Ok, rant over