Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Daily Exercise + Under Daily Calories = No Weight Loss!

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Oh hey, I just hit 1000 posts. Only took 4 1/2 years...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    psulemon wrote: »
    Also would like to point out that P90X3 is not a big calorie burner. So being older, having previously been on a HCG diet and inaccuracies in track will lead to over consumption of calories and maintenance.

OP, have you gotten blood work recently?

Well,
    1) what calorie burn numbers would you use for a P90x3 workout? Say, the MMX workout (which is my "go-to")? Plus,
    2) 5 1-minute/rest :30 heavy-bag martial arts (kicking/punching) workout?

No blood work ups recently. Why do you ask?

With only a 30 minute workout, 200-300 calories is likely.

I ask about blood work to see if you have insulin resistance or other conditions that could actively affect your results and need to alter macros. For example, women with PCOS have to follow a low carb diet, same with diabetics.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    auddii wrote: »

Yes. However, MFP can often overestimate calorie burns as can the counter on cardio machines. I'd suggest eating back half to two-thirds of the calories it tells you and see how you do. You'll need to balance how you feel (are you super hungry after workouts, do you have enough energy through the day) and how it affects your weight loss.

Wait. WHAT? Eat, like 750-900 calories/day? No way. REALLY?
    That. Sounds. Ridiculous.

I'm not bee-atch-slapping you, Auddii! It just sounds like a crazy, drastic move, given my level of (granted, self-assessed, but honest) vigorous workouts and my eating regimen. I've mentioned it before, but I did a 500 c/day (HCG) diet and, while I had tremendous success, swore that this time I would lose weight/get strong using the "traditional" route.

I had hoped my results would be FAR better after over 6 months of P90x3 (AND occasionally P90x) workouts @ 1800-2000 c/day. So, I'm adjusting my sails, so to speak.

She is suggesting eat 2/3 of the extra burned calories from exercise, not your base calories.

And your tremendous loss with HCG is probably what is making it more difficult now.
    Yup, sorry, I should have been more clear.
  • DanielNotDan
    DanielNotDan Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2015

With only a 30 minute workout, 200-300 calories is likely.

I ask about blood work to see if you have insulin resistance or other conditions that could actively affect your results and need to alter macros. For example, women with PCOS have to follow a low carb diet, same with diabetics.

Haha! Yeah..."only a 30 minute workout." Have you done, say, MMX? It's wicked good, scalable, and as interesting/challenging a cardio I've done. ("Insanity" looks to be a few notches more intense for me right now.) But I take your meaning.

I adjust cals a bit lower to, say 200 (when workout isn't as intense). Often, I'll do the Ab Ripper and/or Heavy Bag and/or weights. I have RARELY logged above 350, and usually about 250, which I think is fair, since I'm doing ALL of the workout (i.e., not skipping/dogging it, etc). I'm confident I'm pushing myself and working hard.

Blood could be an issue, of course. I'll consider having another workup. I know I have "elevated" cholesterol, but that's been with me for over 15 years. Hell. Maybe it's my tonsils. I'm no doctor. ;-)
  • psuLemon
    I find all X3 workouts to be easy. In fact, i only use them as supplements when i am short on time. I am doing a modified body beast workout now. 4 heavy lifting, 1 day of half hiit and half yoga and 1 day of full hiit (60 minutes) and three of those will also have core work.
  • DanielNotDan
    edited January 2015
    I find all X3 workouts to be easy. In fact, i only use them as supplements when i am short on time. I am doing a modified body beast workout now. 4 heavy lifting, 1 day of half hiit and half yoga and 1 day of full hiit (60 minutes) and three of those will also have core work.

So, say, you find a 28-minute circuit of "To Failure Reps" in "The Challenge" consisting of 2 sets each of:
    -- wide pull ups, standard pushups, chin ups, military push ups, chin ups, close-grip pull ups, wide pushups, vaulter pull ups (right), staggered push up (right), vaulter pull up (left), staggered push up (left)
    --to be "easy"?

Your number of reps is super-low, then. This is as thorough, efficient, and 'challenging' an upper-body workout as you care to make it -- as long as you pick the right number of reps.

Now, if you're able to knock out, say, 4 sets / 30+ reps each of pull ups/chin ups, plus weighted and/or one-armed push ups... that's something. If so, kudos, Thor. But I doubt that "The Challenge" is "easy" even for the most fit of the fit. If it's "easy" then you don't grok it.

Body Beast is sort of =meh= to me... a personality clash with Sagi, for sure, and not on my radar for results/goals anyway. Not much heavy weight for me ... strong aversion to dead and Romanian lifting. But yoga, HIIT, and core: YES! All over them! Best to you!
  • psuLemon

So, say, you find a 28-minute circuit of "To Failure Reps" in "The Challenge" consisting of 2 sets each of:
    -- wide pull ups, standard pushups, chin ups, military push ups, chin ups, close-grip pull ups, wide pushups, vaulter pull ups (right), staggered push up (right), vaulter pull up (left), staggered push up (left)
    --to be "easy"?

Your number of reps is super-low, then. This is as thorough, efficient, and 'challenging' an upper-body workout as you care to make it -- as long as you pick the right number of reps.

Now, if you're able to knock out, say, 4 sets / 30+ reps each of pull ups/chin ups, plus weighted and/or one-armed push ups... that's something. If so, kudos, Thor. But I doubt that "The Challenge" is "easy" even for the most fit of the fit. If it's "easy" then you don't grok it.

Body Beast is sort of =meh= to me... a personality clash with Sagi, for sure, and not on my radar for results/goals anyway. Not much heavy weight for me ... strong aversion to dead and Romanian lifting. But yoga, HIIT, and core: YES! All over them! Best to you!

Even with tendinitis in my shoulders and wrist, I generally rock 24 push ups (with stands for the extra distance) and 20 pull ups for each combo. My favorite, is I always finish off with dive bombers when doing the 1/3 combo. I am sure people are stronger, but I work within my limitations.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    So you're going to start accurate tracking of food then

Cool

See you in a couple of weeks
  • hlwick12
    hlwick12 Posts: 135 Member
    edited January 2015
    I only got through 1/4 of the posts on here, but has anyone mentioned that you may not be eating enough? I only see ppl telling you to eat less. If 1500-1800 = your actual net calories, then I'd actually start there, and say it should be closer to 2100. Or perhaps I misunderstood your initial post.

Wait, even the heading is "daily exercise + under daily calories = no wt loss" so I think I did read it properly. Eat more! Sounds counterproductive buts it true. 2100 should be your NET calorie goal
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I don't even know if I want to jump in... But here I go...

Are your goals realistic? 8% body fat... Maybe that's realistic for you, but it may be worth reconsidering.

Weighing your food doesn't make you anal. It makes you informed. You also can't "feel" how many calories you've burned... You can't just guess you burned 250 calories. If your burns are always estimates, I wouldn't eat many of those calories back.

Honestly, like others have said: it doesn't have to be this complicated. Just eat a little less. I wonder if you ever take a break or a few rest days? They're important too and usually you'll boice a drop on the scales after some time off.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So you're going to start accurate tracking of food then

Cool

See you in a couple of weeks

Hope you do let everyone know how you are doing after a couple of weeks. You got lots of good advice here.
  • DanielNotDan
    edited January 2015
    hlwick12 wrote: »
    ...you may not be eating enough [calories]? I only see ppl telling you to eat less. .... Eat more! Sounds counterproductive but it true. 2100 should be your NET calorie goal

Thanks. Still, I *think* it has to do with my macros, as "eating more" is too generic of advice, begging the question, "Eat more broccoli or French fries?" which are identical (according to SOME folks in the MFP community).

I wonder: is there an app where I type in my desired calories target & macros and it generates a meal & snack plan/grocery list?© No one better steal that idea or I'll sue!
  • DanielNotDan
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    Hope you do let everyone know how you are doing after a couple of weeks. You got lots of good advice here.

Thx! I sure will (update) and have (received good advice).
  • DanielNotDan
    Are your goals realistic? 8% body fat...

Weighing your food ...makes you informed. .... If your burns are always estimates, I wouldn't eat many of those calories back.

....I wonder if you ever take a break or a few rest days?

Goals: why wouldn't 8-10% body fat be realistic? Are there no 6' 53 yo who are? We ALL likely know people (aliens) who are or who have made themselves that way. If I'm willing to do the work (as well as find/follow the credible advice/adviser) WHY NOT? I tend to believe the adage, "You get muscular in the gym and lean in the kitchen."

Burn calories: agreed. I under-estimate and (tho not consistently) use a HRM. I agree that "feelings" aren't "facts."

Rest: I average 4-5/month. I'm of the mind that daily exercise is overrated... Although I enjoy it, I don't panic because "I MISSED MY WORKOUT MY GOD I'M A LAZY TOAD WHO'LL DIE AN EARLY DEATH!!" I simply chill and (USUALLY) don't eat as much that day.

Thx for your input!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    My guess would be that it is your VLCD that is messing with you. How long ago was it? I did some reading a few years ago about metabolism and they said a slowed metabolism from a VLCD isn't a forever thing but it can stay low for a while. As I recall, lots of variance but on average, after a year of normal eating your metabolism should be almost back to normal. To my surprise they said that age differences are insignificant when you factor out muscle. Meaning if 51 year old you has as much muscle as 25 year old you your metabolism should be close to the same. I suspect what they left unsaid is that it is almost impossible to have as much muscle at 51 as you did at 25.

Would it be a crazy idea to bring your calories to maintenance and spend three months with your sole focus on increasing muscle mass (as evidenced by lifting improvements) and THEN trying to cut?

Sorry to hear you are so frustrated. Sadly I know lots of 50 somethings who are also frustrated. I have decided for 2015 that my own goal is to eat well (at or near goals) and exercise pretty close to daily, scales be damned.
  • hlwick12
    hlwick12 Posts: 135 Member
    edited January 2015
    If 1500-1800 = your NET calories, then your body is basically saying "F you, you're not feeding me enough, I'm going to hang on to whatever nourishment you give me." Based on your BMR and moderate exercise you should be consuming around 2100 net calories. Obviously healthy nutrient rich food is better. But don't drive yourself crazy....eat a sandwich, or broccoli or chicken etc. Just try to be within closer proximity to the 2100. Healthy average weight loss = 2 lbs per week. Some weeks you'll lose 5, some 0, but it should average out.
  • psuLemon
    My guess would be that it is your VLCD that is messing with you. How long ago was it? I did some reading a few years ago about metabolism and they said a slowed metabolism from a VLCD isn't a forever thing but it can stay low for a while. As I recall, lots of variance but on average, after a year of normal eating your metabolism should be almost back to normal. To my surprise they said that age differences are insignificant when you factor out muscle. Meaning if 51 year old you has as much muscle as 25 year old you your metabolism should be close to the same. I suspect what they left unsaid is that it is almost impossible to have as much muscle at 51 as you did at 25.

Would it be a crazy idea to bring your calories to maintenance and spend three months with your sole focus on increasing muscle mass (as evidenced by lifting improvements) and THEN trying to cut?

Sorry to hear you are so frustrated. Sadly I know lots of 50 somethings who are also frustrated. I have decided for 2015 that my own goal is to eat well (at or near goals) and exercise pretty close to daily, scales be damned.

I did briefly discussed this early. Being on an HCG diet was probably the biggest mistake he could have made since it's a starvation diet. And considering he had large weight loss, it probably also meant he had large muscle loss since you can't sustain muscle on a 500 calorie diet, let alone sustain a metabolism. Like I mention before, it took a year for the MFP member I worked with to get your resting metabolic rate close to where it should be been. For a year, she was eating 1700 calories and not losing about. 2 months ago, she started losing about .5lb per week which means the high protein diet and heavy weight training provided to be beneficial to her metabolism.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    What has been your average caloric intake for the last month? I maintain at 2540 and am less active then you, and shorter, and lighter, and a little younger. Granted, I'm not a weight loss author such as yourself, but I'd start with your actual numbers and just for sharts and goggles what is your current BF percent?
  • hashTag_Wade
    hashTag_Wade Posts: 14 Member
    I am 40, 6', and weighed 210 lbs in Sept 2014. I started running again in October and lost a few pounds. On Nov 3rd (at 202.5 lbs) I started P90X3 and have done every single workout, in order, on the schedule without missing in addition to running 10-15 miles/week and/or cycling 15-20 miles/week. On November 6th, I discovered and started logging all of my meals on MFP. I typically have pretty high calorie burns every day but stay under my original calorie goal and do NOT "eat back" my calories. I am now at 183 lbs with only two P90X3 workout left.

I know you stated that you are typically doing weight training. Are you doing any cardio? If so, I might suggest that, in addition to logging consistently and with more accuracy, that you try to start increasing your cardio and daily calorie burn.
  • Muscle weighs more than fat... It will take time for you to see results if you are gaining muscle... Give it some time... If you measure you will see a difference.