Any tips for a beginner?

Options
2»

Replies

• Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    - this method works. If you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. (assuming no medical issues) if you are not losing weight then it is most likely that you are not eating at a calorie deficit. I repeat - if you follow the method, it will work.
    - Do not deprive yourself of foods you enjoy. do not think of eating them as 'failing'. as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. (of course try to hit your macros, too) I repeat - you can eat anything as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit and hitting your macros.
    - slow and steady - there's no rush. do not try to lose weight too quickly. even if you succeed, you're body will burn muscle, as well as fat. losing muscle is not a good thing.
    - Most people go throw challenges or fall off the wagon. If this happens to you, don't let it get you down. Just start again. It happens to most people.
    - get a good bunch of friends who are positive and motivating.

GOOD LUCK !

^^^This for sure. Also saw a couple of recommendations to see an nutritionist. I agree with that. Mine is covered by my insurance (co-pay though), totally worth it. I see her every other week. She's given me recipes, tips on food prep, help me set up food game-plans, adjusted my calorie needs based on realistic goals, did a body composition test on me & told me how many pounds of fat I need to lose vs. just "losing weight". I cannot stress enough how much this time has changed from all of the other times I've tried to lose weight because of my Nutritionist.

I also found a workout that I love to do (swimming), so it doesn't feel like I have to drag my butt to the gym & dread it the whole time. I'm still working on trying to get in resistance training, but I've been working out literally every day for the past month or so & I still haven't gotten bored or "fallen off the wagon". We'll see if I'm still this enthusiastic 6 months from now, but this is longer than a lot of other things I've tried.

Also, remember: you didn't put it on in a day & you're not going to take it off in a day. I know everyone wants amazing results right now. Biggest Loser results. But a lot of those people end up gaining all the weight back. Most of the true success stories I've read on this site say that they made little changes & lost the weight over many months or years.

Good luck!
  • abbotron92
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your words. It really means a lot. I know this won't be easy but it's not impossible either. I really enjoy going to the gym even though it's only been 2 weeks the only thing I am worried about is the food. I have cut back on a lot already though. No candy, no soda, and no fast food. I just hope it stays that way.
  • airmedic8
    airmedic8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Buy a food scale if you do not have one already.

That is a great idea and is very helpful. Also realize its not gonna happen in a week month or even 6 months...be patient, and be consistent ... Good LUCK :smiley:
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    1-Log everything
    2- You didn't gain weight over night...it will not come off over night. Be patient you will see results.
    3- weigh all foods and be honest about what you eat.

Good luck! It WILL be worth it!
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    - this method works. If you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. (assuming no medical issues) if you are not losing weight then it is most likely that you are not eating at a calorie deficit. I repeat - if you follow the method, it will work.
    - Do not deprive yourself of foods you enjoy. do not think of eating them as 'failing'. as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit you will lose weight. (of course try to hit your macros, too) I repeat - you can eat anything as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit and hitting your macros.
    - slow and steady - there's no rush. do not try to lose weight too quickly. even if you succeed, you're body will burn muscle, as well as fat. losing muscle is not a good thing.
    - Most people go throw challenges or fall off the wagon. If this happens to you, don't let it get you down. Just start again. It happens to most people.
    - get a good bunch of friends who are positive and motivating.

GOOD LUCK !

So true. Remember there are many different ways to lose weight find what's right for you some it's low carb others it's the reverse. If you haven't already get some kitchen scales and weigh as much as possible this is the most accurate way of controlling what you eat. Oh and don't think you can't have this or that remember things in moderation won't hurt
  • skinny_inside_70
    skinny_inside_70 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Learn nutrition portion size and stay focused even if you have a bad day. I lost 75 and im trying to lose my last 30. It was a lifestyle change that i began in 2005.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    markie166 wrote: »
    eat less , move more and if you can .. pick up heavy objects and then put them down

and if somebody says you might get bulky .... slap them hard

so much this!