Is this a good diet? Please judge away

Options
Breakfast:
Hot lemon and water
2 frozen bananas blended together with almond milk and acai powder.

Lunch:
Crackers homemade using a paleo recipe and added flax seeds. Topped with almond butter.
Half a pepper, an apple and some popcorn.
Protein shake.

Dinner:
Roast chicken breast, sweet potato fries, green beans, peas and carrots.

Dessert:
Pear or strawberries.

(Water and herbal tea throughout the day (sometimes tea with almond milk)

I'm doing half a hour to 45 minutes of HIIT training and afterwards weight training with kettlebells and some planks.

I'm currently around 14 stone and trying to get down to 10 stone. (My height is 5foot6)

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    "good" is entirely relative.

Are you weighing your portions? Are you getting enough calories?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I can't tell because your profile is not filled out and your diary is not open. Your tracker says you lost 38 pounds...

Based on your avatar you appear to be a newbie on MFP.

If you lost 38 pounds, is this not working for you? BTW, how many calories is this for you each day?

• fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    looks good in a sense of tasty and relatively clean to me, but I would also look at how many calories you're consuming. Your menu seems a little light on calories, but I could be wrong. Plug your meal ideas into your food diary and see where you stand.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Also, I would add a portion of animal protein for lunch. It will keep you full.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Does it fit your goals?
    Do you feel satisfied and happy with what you are consuming?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'd eat most of your supper, but nothing else. If it works for you, that's what matters.
  • gildedbutterfly90
    Options
    Sorry I've been a member for ages but never really used it ever.

I also have not lost 38lbs (I wish!)

I haven't started this yet but plan on doing it asap.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How many calories is this? Does it fit within your MFP calories allotted for the day...

How much is "some popcorn", how much chicken are you eating, how many fries, strawberries, etc...?

I will run the stats and you can tell us how many calories this is.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You're gonna need some variety. My advice is to add friends like crazy with open diary's and take notes.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    As stated, good is relative. It doesn't look like many calories to me and I find a lot of it unappetizing, but whatever floats your boat I guess. What are the calorie counts and macro counts for a day like that?
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters....it's impossible to say if that is a good day of food without knowing how many calories you are consuming. You mention exercise but not how many times a week you are doing that.
    Having said that, I would say that is a nice clean looking diet though I would be worried you aren't eating enough. Make sure you are satisfied. Perhaps have the fruit as a snack during the day rather than after dinner. It is better to eat fruit at the start of the day for better digestion.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Is your BMR around 1600 with a TDEE around 1700 to 1800. Do you exercise daily and what is your calorie burn?

Need more information please...
  • gildedbutterfly90
    Options
    My BMR is 1,600

I'm not sure how many calories I consume. For example with the handmade crackers how would I be able to work out the calories in those?

I plan on doing HIIT for 30/40 minutes 4 times a week.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    The food looks nice, although I'd feel hungry with that breakfast, and I'd rather have some tuna with lunch than a protein shake, but each to their own. Plus do you intend to eat that every single day, or substitute things? I'd get bored otherwise if that were my meals.

What's your calorie goal? We're the same height and I weigh less now, but I was around the same weight (after my 3rd baby) and I eat around 1500-1600 a day and lose.
  • gildedbutterfly90
    Options
    I think I'm aiming for around 1500/1600 too.

I'd definitely try and vary

Maybe quinoa pasta with vegan cheese

Or plain chicken - coated in quinoa and breadcrumbs.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1,600

I'm not sure how many calories I consume. For example with the handmade crackers how would I be able to work out the calories in those?

You should try logging it to see how many calories you're consuming and if you're getting the required nutrients you need. Then you have a better idea for if it is a "good" diet or not.

For the crackers or anything else homemade you'll need to use the recipe builder.

• gildedbutterfly90
    Options
    My BMR is 1,600

You should try logging it to see how many calories you're consuming and if you're getting the required nutrients you need. Then you have a better idea for if it is a "good" diet or not.

For the crackers or anything else homemade you'll need to use the recipe builder.

Oh thank you, I didn't realise there was a recipe builder
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I think I'm aiming for around 1500/1600 too.

I'd definitely try and vary

Maybe quinoa pasta with vegan cheese

Or plain chicken - coated in quinoa and breadcrumbs.

Why vegan cheese?

I had chicken wrapped in pancetta for dinner today, with broccoli, sugar snap peas, carrots and asparagus. Yum.

You could do fish instead of chicken. Or stir fry. Or stew. My husband makes a yummy chicken stew with sweet potato, kale and parsnips. We use low salt stock so even our 8 month old can have some.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    My BMR is 1,600

If you make homemade foods, use the recipe option under Food tab. You definitely need to know how many calories there are in every thing you eat so you know how many calories you are really eating..

If you are not exercising yet but you plan to, go here and put your stats in and see if MFP has your plan setup right. http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

But until you start logging food correctly you will not get accurate amount of calories you are eating each day to know if you need to eat more or less.

Again, you don't say how many calories your meal above actually really is.. It seems small but how much chicken, how many handmade crackers and what is the cracker made from...
  • gildedbutterfly90
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    My BMR is 1,600

If you make homemade foods, use the recipe option under Food tab. You definitely need to know how many calories there are in every thing you eat so you know how many calories you are really eating..

If you are not exercising yet but you plan to, go here and put your stats in and see if MFP has your plan setup right. http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

But until you start logging food correctly you will not get accurate amount of calories you are eating each day to know if you need to eat more or less.

Again, you don't say how many calories your meal above actually really is.. It seems small but how much chicken, how many handmade crackers and what is the cracker made from...

Well I was just trying the recipe builder now.

And I'm sure if I was doing it right but I put 2 servings of 100g of Pink Sun Coconut Flour and it 826 calories!!

Surely that cannot be right?

Just seems a hell of a lot.