Anyone losing weight with minimal exercise? I have back problems.

Options
rach021979
rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
Just wondering if anyone is having success losing weight on diet alone? I have 4 herniated disks in my lower back and can only do light walking..

Thanks!

Replies

• rachelchase40
    rachelchase40 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30.8 lbs so far from just counting calories and occasionally going on walks with my fiance (I haven't added anything that I didn't do before) but there is a thread on this subject you can read through if you would like to! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10054524/weight-loss-with-no-exercise/p1
  • scarygirl001
    scarygirl001 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi,
    i will be your diet buddy if you would like someone to talk too i could do with someone too its tough to go it alone, with a husband that can eat whatever he wants! and he does mainly sugary thing swhich i cant even dream of eating now because i have diabetes
    i am badly overweight and i have started by using chair excercises they do help and get my heart rate up i started 3 weeks ago and have lost 5lb so every little helps they are free on utube and i do the 30 minutes everyday because through diabetes i have bad legs and find it hard to walk far .
    i had to try something and for now i will stick to them until i feel lighter to stand and do more , i have a long way to go but every pound helps! good luck, sue
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I currently workout, but when I first started losing weight I did no exercise. (I workout now because my goals have changed.) After a few months, I started going for walks. I could have kept losing without walking, but it was something I started to do with my family after dinner. Weight loss comes from eating at a deficit, so exercise isn't required but anything you can do is good for your health :smile:
  • kimault1984
    kimault1984 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't work out at all, I've lost about 13 lbs. so far. It's possible but if you want to tone I would recommend strength training. This will help you avoid becoming "skinny-fat".
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    hi,
    i will be your diet buddy if you would like someone to talk too i could do with someone too its tough to go it alone, with a husband that can eat whatever he wants! and he does mainly sugary thing swhich i cant even dream of eating now because i have diabetes
    i am badly overweight and i have started by using chair excercises they do help and get my heart rate up i started 3 weeks ago and have lost 5lb so every little helps they are free on utube and i do the 30 minutes everyday because through diabetes i have bad legs and find it hard to walk far .
    i had to try something and for now i will stick to them until i feel lighter to stand and do more , i have a long way to go but every pound helps! good luck, sue

• dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Will you be my friend? I have 200+lbs to lose, and can't exercise much either. I can barely walk, and can only do upper body exercise. I need encouragement like everyone else...thanks for considering me!
  • sazzyb_
    sazzyb_ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yep! I can go weeks and weeks of doing no cardio at all and the weight still comes off as long as my diet is on point (I also weight train daily to avoid the 'skinny-fat' look).

You should still do as much physical activity as you can in order to stay healthy & live well, so keep up with the light walking! :)
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Me! 60lbs down and all I do is walk between 5-6000 steps a day (only 2000 today though!) and that's just getting from A to B. I never set out to exercise!
  • rach021979
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I'll do some strength training..I also have a big baby so maybe that will help! I have never heard of Skinny fat lol..but I get what you are saying. I'll keep up the walking too. Thanks for the encouragement! :)
  • LiveForTheWilderness
    Options
    90% of weight loss is in the kitchen. Eat below your TDEE for weight loss, exercise for fitness.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    is swimming or water aerobics an option?
  • vickierivero1
    vickierivero1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey. I have bulging and slipped disks in my lumbar. Some days are worse than others. In the beginning after this happened I could hardly walk to be honest. I finally started walking with a walker (at age 27), then when I could walk on my own then I bought a gazelle edge. It has zero resistance and no impact. I use that every day and it doesn't cause me any pain. Today I hurt my back doing hip bridges. :( Although I am not at the point to where I can run without killing my back with pain, I can still burn calories with the gazelle.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    The answer is “yes.” – I didn’t exercise at all the first few months. I mean – it was pitiful.

When I did start - I could only last 5-10 minutes at about 2 mph on the treadmill! I have multiple health issues, including the back (been in hosp a couple times);

GOOD LUCK.

73641431.png

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I did not even begin to walk more until I had lost 90 pounds, bad knees due to excess weight. When I had lost that much, I began taking short walks for about 20 minutes. Started using the gym at work in November of 2012.
    I have been using the gym at work up until last Friday (1/23), when I joined a gym (mostly to learn how to use weights correctly). Down -160 pounds, and have been on maintenance for 15 months now. So yes you can lose by eating at a calorie deficit only. I highly recommend doing whatever you can to move more. It is very beneficial for you to do whatever you are capable of doing to move more.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Up until this last month, I was mainly just walking 20-30 min, 3 times a week. I have added another day of exercise and occasionally jog. I had foot surgery in September and it's still a little painful, so I try not to overdo it. So, yes, it's definitely possible! Good luck!
  • rach021979
    Options
    Swimming is poss but I have no time due to the baby.. but maybe when he gets a little older I can take him w/ me? Thanks for the advice on the Gazelle also.. This last time my back went out I almost needed a walker too..

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 30lbs with no exercise at all, just a calorie deficit. It's very possible.
  • rach021979
    Options
    Great, thank youQ
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 35lbs with little exercise!
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I too have lower back problems. 1 ruptured disk, 1 herniated, and 1 dehydrated. I also have nerve damage in my left leg and foot. I have numbness in my left foot and side of leg. I cannot move my big toe and can barely moved the rest of my toes on my left foot. I have lost 65 lbs in 7 months. In the past I've sat a lot worried to hurt myself. It doesn't take much for that to happen. I only walk. The doctor sent me to Physical Therapy for a few weeks. That was awesome. Wish I could go again. If I have to run in to the grocery I walk down a few extra rows or I try to get out and move more then I use to. Good luck. Friend me, it helps to get support from others who have similar situations.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!