Weight loss and Music Success story w/pic-vid)

Options
I have been a member of MyFitnessPal for about 5 years. I have been through ups and downs with my weight, as have most people on this site. The only difference is that because I am a musician, I got to stare at "fat pics" of myself in the paper and watch videos of projects that I was so proud of until my insecurities would eclipse any and all hard work or talent when I had to watch myself through my fingers because I truly hated looking at myself.

I never really considered myself "Fat", but I was very uncomfortable. I was a size 18, 195 lbs, and wore a 38 DDD at my largest. Random strangers thought it was okay to make comments about my size from the stage. Guess what, if you do that, there is a very good chance the person can hear you or at the very least, someone they know heard it and let them know. Don't do it! Here are some before pictures: When we opened for Lucero: r16o9vk6klx5.jpg
For a Hank Williams Tribute: 8gar7q2n5hio.jpg

I have now kept the weight off for 2 years! I am a size 6-8 and I am currently trying to know what abs feel like. :) I don't "Diet" anymore because I simply live a healthier lifestyle! Losing weight has changed so much about me. Mostly my confidence.

When I look at my projects now, I can be proud of what I have done instead of ashamed of what I look and feel like! Thank you so much to My Fitness Pal because I really did keep track of EVERYTHING that I ate for years. I learned so much about the foods that I had been eating and about health, mind and body! Now when people ask what my secret is, I tell them to sign up to MFP!

Here is an after: m2sw0v9ox9cj.jpg

While I was working on myself, these "success stories" were very motivating to people so I thought I would share mine. The music video that made me post this update was just filmed on Friday, Jan 23rd and was just release today! This is, however the only project that I have ever needed an explicit content warning! NSFW. It is hip-hop, dance, and amazing to work out to! Everyone keep up the great work! Amazing things happen when you keep promises to yourself! Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/UcGWTF-1ut0

www.haveamassivenight.com
www.aloneat3am.bandcamp.com
www.arlomckinley.bandcamp.com

Replies

• spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That is AMAZING!!! Way to go!!! You have just inspired me...Thank you!
  • WriteNovels
    WriteNovels Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Nice work and nice song, I like your sound! I'm curious, did your singing voice change at all as you lost weight?
  • cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    SO cool---your story is awesome, and i like your music too! best wishes to u!
  • WriteNovels
    Options
    Hey guys! Thank you so much for the kind words! I hope I can inspire someone out there like I know people have inspired me!

As for this:
    Nice work and nice song, I like your sound! I'm curious, did your singing voice change at all as you lost weight?

My singing voice didn't change at all. However, because I am now a healthier person in general, and I have spent a bit of time on cardio (so much that I actually enjoy it now) and that has helped tremendously with what I can do with my voice. People sometimes don't connect the two, but if you are trying to sing, and there is no breath behind the note, your voice may crack or stumble.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So awesome!
  • EleMeleUkulele
    EleMeleUkulele Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed by two things here - one, you look really pretty in both before and after pics, and you have such a radiant smile, it's addictive! Two, I like your music! If I lived anywhere near, I'd be sure to make it to one of your concerts. :smiley:
  • WriteNovels
    Options
    I'm amazed by two things here - one, you look really pretty in both before and after pics, and you have such a radiant smile, it's addictive! Two, I like your music! If I lived anywhere near, I'd be sure to make it to one of your concerts. :smiley:

Thank you so much! I see that your name includes 'ukulele'. My fav instrument right now! Do you play?
  • EleMeleUkulele
    EleMeleUkulele Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! I see that your name includes 'ukulele'. My fav instrument right now! Do you play?

Ohhh, sorry, I haven't checked MFP for a few days and missed your post. Yes, I play the ukulele a little, but I'm not very good at it, and haven't had the time to practice lately. ;)
  • MsUnlucky13
    MsUnlucky13 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are awesome and you look amazing (you always have though) now you look amazing and healthy. And you rock the red lips in the video btw. Know that you have been an inspiration to me and Charity both.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You look great, as you did before. It's all about dedication and not giving up on yourself. You inspire me and you should be very proud of yourself.
  • WriteNovels
    Options

dcresider wrote: »
    Wow!!! You look great, as you did before. It's all about dedication and not giving up on yourself. You inspire me and you should be very proud of yourself.
    Thank you! That really is it! Just sticking with your goal (even if you have set backs, big or small) and it taught me that I can do just about anything!
    You are awesome and you look amazing (you always have though) now you look amazing and healthy. And you rock the red lips in the video btw. Know that you have been an inspiration to me and Charity both.
    Thank you so much! That really means a lot coming from people that actually know me and the timeline that this took! It really is a long race!
  • ValRawn
    ValRawn Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I am a musician as well and have absolutely found it tough to get on stage in front of people when I hate the way I look and feel. I watch videos back and realize I spent so much time fidgeting with my clothes while singing that it is very distracting and takes away from the music!

I really enjoyed your song... is it available on iTunes? I'd love to add it to my playlist!
  • KeepTheFaith9
    KeepTheFaith9 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success on MFP and love the song! Good luck with it!
  • WriteNovels
    Options
    ValRawn wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing! I am a musician as well and have absolutely found it tough to get on stage in front of people when I hate the way I look and feel. I watch videos back and realize I spent so much time fidgeting with my clothes while singing that it is very distracting and takes away from the music!

I really enjoyed your song... is it available on iTunes? I'd love to add it to my playlist!

Yes! I totally understand about tugging at your clothes! I think I am still trying to get out of that habit.

It isn't on iTunes yet, but you can Download the whole album for FREE or stream at:

https://massivenightsohio.bandcamp.com/

Good luck with your journey and know that taking care of your health now is the best thing that you could ever do for yourself!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Excellent!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!