Eating more to lose weight

Options
I keep seeing comments from people on these forums that say they have increased their calorie intake and have lost weight. Can someone please explain this to me? Does that actually work (to an extent, obviously....I'm talking 200-300 calories, not +1,000), and if so, doesn't it go against MFP's entire notion of maintaining a calorie deficit to lose weight? Which is it?? Gah... too many "rules".

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing comments from people on these forums that say they have increased their calorie intake and have lost weight. Can someone please explain this to me? Does that actually work (to an extent, obviously....I'm talking 200-300 calories, not +1,000), and if so, doesn't it go against MFP's entire notion of maintaining a calorie deficit to lose weight? Which is it?? Gah... too many "rules".

No it doesn't work. To lose weight you need to be in caloric deficit. if you are not losing, you are not in a deficit so why would you add more calories?
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

No it doesn't work. To lose weight you need to be in caloric deficit. if you are not losing, you are not in a deficit so why would you add more calories?

Exactly what I thought....but I've seen threads and blog posts about people adding calories and somehow losing. Trying to understand the science behind that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Exactly what I thought....but I've seen threads and blog posts about people adding calories and somehow losing. Trying to understand the science behind that.

Me too. It's most confuddling. On alot of my fasting groups people get chastised for not eating enough when they're not losing weight.... just doesn't make sense to me
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It worked for me and I'll tell you how. I was eating 1200 cals, as recommended by mfp, and I was hungry, angry, miserable, tired and couldn't sustain it. Upped my calories by 50 every week until I reached a point where my weight was slowing to a stall. Then, and only then did I start eating 50 cals less each week. I'm currently losing about a pound on 1350 to 1400 cals a day. And I'm not miserable.

You can play around with BMI, TDEE, etc but this is what worked for me because I tried those and didn't feel any better ~ it was either too high, every website had different numbers...

Anyway, good luck. Everybody is different and it takes time to figure out what works best for you.
  • minniebee
    minniebee Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I know there's a lot of talk on the forums about TDEE, BMR, etc... In my personal experience, how much I eat while trying to lose weight is a choice for my mental health. When I lost about 20 lbs a few years ago on the site, I was eating at 1200 everyday and was MISERABLE. However, this time I am eating somewhere between 1500-1600 everyday. I know I will lose slower, but I am satisfied at the end of the day instead of laying in bed with my stomach growling.

TLDR: Do what works for you. Listen to your body and eat at some sort of deficit and you will lose.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think the thought behind it is when you eat veggies, fruits, lean meats you can typically get more per calorie then other things. Now, that doesn't disregard the fact that calories still matter and I think that's where people get confused.

Calories in vs out will always be true but many people find adding a large variety of low calorie nutrient dense foods is more sustainable then the same caloric amount then eating the same amount in say, fast food or something.

At least, that's my take on it. I go halfsies with it most days. I make an effort to eat mostly nutrient dense foods and then fill in the rest with fun. But I weigh my solid foods on a food scale and only use measuring cups for liquids and count strategically because yes, calories matter for weight loss :)
  • elphie754
    Options

If they upped their calories and are losing, then they likely were eating much more than they realized.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    No. If you aren't losing weight, you're eating too much. I don't know why so many tell other people to up their calories when they aren't losing, it makes no sense.

Some people say eat more to lose weight and mean eat more, but still be in a deficit, and lose weight more slowly. Some find it more sustainable and less restrictive. A lot of people give up because they set their calories too low and are miserable through the process.
  • mhauswir18
    Options
    This is a very stupid question, but I have to ask. For a calorie deficit, if I am supposed to consume about 1600 calories a day (My BMR cal is about 1450), and I run for an hour, do I add back the amount of calories I burned? So I should be eating something like 2100 calories. Or does that initial 1600 include any workouts I do? Will any weight loss progress slow if I'm not eating enough?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Re: to many rules.

Just stick to the one and only golden rule. 1. Calorie deficit to lose fat. CICO

The rest of the rules to fat loss are more like guidelines to maybe help you enjoy the journey. adopt the ones you like, ignore the one you don't
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    mhauswir18 wrote: »
    This is a very stupid question, but I have to ask. For a calorie deficit, if I am supposed to consume about 1600 calories a day (My BMR cal is about 1450), and I run for an hour, do I add back the amount of calories I burned? So I should be eating something like 2100 calories. Or does that initial 1600 include any workouts I do? Will any weight loss progress slow if I'm not eating enough?

Maybe start your own thread instead of hijacking this one
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Your weight loss will not slow down if you aren't eating enough. In extreme cases (long term, very low calorie diets) a person's metabolism can slow down.

If when you plug your numbers into MFP, it tells you 1600 calories, it does not include exercise. You can eat back some of those calories, although if you're using MFP's calorie burns, I would not suggest eating them all. Maybe use half of the number they tell you that you burn.

If you calculated your TDEE on a different site and are using that number, it already includes exercise, so you wouldn't eat those calories back.

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

According to MFP, the calories you burn through exercise are "extra", so you can eat them back. So if MFP says to eat 1200 calories but you burn 500 going for a run, you can eat 1700 calories.

Personally, I eat back my exercise calories. I cannot consume only 1200 calories a day if I burn more than 100 calories - I am just miserable.
  • mhauswir18
    Options
    Okay great, thank you both!
  • mhauswir18
    Options
    And sorry for "hijacking" your post Will_Run_for_Food. Thanks for the good info!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Ummm...you can eat more and still be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

OP, the idea behind eating more to lose more is primarily dietary adherence. It's pretty easy for example to adhere to a 500ish calorie deficit...it's pretty much just cutting out a couple snacks or whatever...a 1000 calorie deficit is another matter. Many people can do it in short bursts and then they get hungry and discouraged or whatever and give up and then start over and then give up and then start over, etc, etc, etc...when if they would have just elected a more reasonable calorie deficit they could have been easily and slowly but steadily been losing weight.

Basically a tortoise and a hare kind of thing.

I would also add that big energy deficits also burn a greater % of lean mass and it's also a greater stress on the body which jacks with your hormones...these same hormones are responsible for any number of bodily functions, including an optimally functioning metabolism.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I lost my weigh eating 1700 calls a day now I don't track but think I am around the 3000 mark I would say. Slowly gaining but I know if I cut to 2000 a day I would lose. Just need to get back in the game..
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It's not either or. I increased my calories from about 1300 to 1700 about 4 months ago and I am losing about a pound a week, but that 1700 is still a deficit for me. (My TDEE is about 2150). It's a smaller deficit, but I can stick to 1700 much more easily than I could ever stick to 1300. Also, because I don't feel like I'm starving all the time, I have plenty of energy to do my workouts. That is a HUGE improvement and makes the slower weight loss well worth it. I think that is why I'm losing more consistently than than I did in the past. I also feel for the first time in my life that this is something I can comfortably continue to do. In the past I was always looking forward to the day when I could be "off" my diet!
  • elphie754
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Ummm...you can eat more and still be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

OP, the idea behind eating more to lose more is primarily dietary adherence. It's pretty easy for example to adhere to a 500ish calorie deficit...it's pretty much just cutting out a couple snacks or whatever...a 1000 calorie deficit is another matter. Many people can do it in short bursts and then they get hungry and discouraged or whatever and give up and then start over and then give up and then start over, etc, etc, etc...when if they would have just elected a more reasonable calorie deficit they could have been easily and slowly but steadily been losing weight.

Basically a tortoise and a hare kind of thing.

I would also add that big energy deficits also burn a greater % of lean mass and it's also a greater stress on the body which jacks with your hormones...these same hormones are responsible for any number of bodily functions, including an optimally functioning metabolism.

If they werent in a calorie deficit at the calories they eat now , adding more calories would not create a deficit lol.
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow, completely missing the point again I see.