Do you eat the calories you burned working out?

Options
I am trying to lose weight. Roughly thirty pounds and about a pound a week is fine with me. I am also training for a half marathon so I work out 5 days a week. Do you eat the calories you burned? Or is that counteractive? Thoughts, comments and personal opinions appreciated!

Xoxo

Tarah

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi there. This is a pretty frequently asked question around here. This thread might help to clear some things up for you: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely otherwise I would be never be able to stick with the 1200 I was given. I also store up my left over calories each day (if any left) for a Saturday night, I just work on the average being correct. I do not eat under 1200 on any day though I just store the exercise ones.

Has worked for me when losing or maintaning now for two years. Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Are you otherwise accounting for that activity? If you're training for a marathon you know you have to fuel that right...training like that and not fueling properly is a recipe for recovery issues and injury.

MFP is designed to account for exercise activity after the fact rather than in your activity level...that's why it doesn't say anything about exercise in the descriptors. You just have to be careful not to overestimate burn. Conversely, other calculators include exercise in your activity level and thus some estimate of that burn is included in your overall goal...either way, you're "eating them back", the only difference is where you account for them. With MFP you account for them on the *kitten* end of the equation...the TDEE method accounts for them up front.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If you follow MFP, then you want to eat at least some of them back. MFP sets you up with a deficit so that you could lose weight without exercise. When you exercise, your body needs more fuel. An example would be:

-500 calories a day per 1lb per week loss
    1810 calories burned per day without exercise
    burn 300 calories with exercise
    2110 calories burned with exercise
    1610 calories to lose 1lb per week with the exercise burn of 300
    if you didn't eat the calories though, your deficit would be increased to 800

I have to watch and make sure I eat enough. If my deficit becomes to large I have a very hard time doing high intensity workouts. The effects aren't immediately noticeable, but a couple weeks of it and I feel like crap.

My guess is that since your training for a marathon, you will probably want to eat some of them back to provide the fuel you need for those training sessions.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, but I usually don't "count" all the calories the machine or the app tells me I consumed. I usually take "credit" for about 50% of the calories I'm told I "earned."
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    No, I already ate them once, that is why I need to work out! ;)
  • harat101
    Options
    I have only been using this app for a week and a half and I just started my half marathon training schedule (24 weeks long). My activity level is set to sedantary, and then I log my cardio exercise. I haven't been eating any of my exercise points. I have done a half marathon a couple times before so I understand I need to fuel my body properly. However I have done weight watchers before and I lost like 5lbs the first week! Then this first week now I've only lost 0.5lbs. What gives? That's why I was afraid to eat my exercise points. Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I will eat some but not all of my calories burned from working out.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've actually skipped eating them on a regular basis and when I do I find I get more weight loss stalls. I calculate my weight x.63 then x that per mile of running and try to eat up to 1800 calls a day. On some runs I still bank 200-400 a day.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I typically do not eat back all of my calories but when I am training for either marathon or 1/2 marathon I typically eat back a lot of those calories on the long and medium run days. Also, I am starving on those days!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    harat101 wrote: »
    I have only been using this app for a week and a half and I just started my half marathon training schedule (24 weeks long). My activity level is set to sedantary, and then I log my cardio exercise. I haven't been eating any of my exercise points. I have done a half marathon a couple times before so I understand I need to fuel my body properly. However I have done weight watchers before and I lost like 5lbs the first week! Then this first week now I've only lost 0.5lbs. What gives? That's why I was afraid to eat my exercise points. Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I will eat some but not all of my calories burned from working out.

How accurate are your entries? Do you weigh and measure everything? Do you log everything (there was a thread just today where someone just realized that cooking oils have a lot of calories and they weren't logging them)?

It's probably not a huge issue now depending on what your workouts look like...but it will be a much bigger issue down the road when you really start logging the miles. I don't run (anymore), but I'm an endurance rider and I can rack up a good 1,500+ calorie burn on a 50 mile training ride, if I didn't make up for that I would have an incredibly difficult time recovering.

Obviously if you're training for a marathon, you're not sedentary...so you do have to account for that activity somewhere. Most people make some kind of an allowance for error in their exercise burn, but it's important to your training that you do eat a good chunk of those calories back.
  • harat101
    Options
    I'm measuring everything! Literally the 1/2 TBS of honey that I put in my tea is measured and logged. I just googled the TDEE method and I understand why that makes sense. Also, my dad rides and he burns so many calories! But anyways, I figured if I wasn't losing a lb a week but I was staying under calorie goal, then maybe my calorie goal was too high..? But I will try eating some of my exercise calories. It's only been a week and a half, I suppose my body needs time to adjust to my new caloric intake and working out.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    harat101 wrote: »
    I'm measuring everything! Literally the 1/2 TBS of honey that I put in my tea is measured and logged. I just googled the TDEE method and I understand why that makes sense. Also, my dad rides and he burns so many calories! But anyways, I figured if I wasn't losing a lb a week but I was staying under calorie goal, then maybe my calorie goal was too high..? But I will try eating some of my exercise calories. It's only been a week and a half, I suppose my body needs time to adjust to my new caloric intake and working out.

Give it more than a week. When I was losing I had weeks with bigger losses, weeks with smaller losses, weeks with no losses and even week with small gains...in the end, it averaged out to about 1 Lb per week, but it wasn't exactly that every week.

Keep in mind also that if you just started back to running then you could be retaining fluids as is typical when you start a new exercise regimen or increase intensity...this can mask losses on the scale.

Also, most people I know who did WW were at a more aggressive cut than they realized because they were counting points and not calories...you may not be making an apples to apples comparison in RE to your energy deficit.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    No.

I don't view exercise as an excuse to eat more. Never mind the fact that you could be grossly overestimating your calories "burned". Whatever my calorie goal is set to is what I eat regardless of exercise.
  • harat101
    Options
    Yeah I just started running again... Lots and lots of good info! Thanks cwolfman for your time and thoughts. :)
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I never mean to eat mine back, but sometimes after a work out at the gym I am really hungry. *sigh*
  • laurenmisja
    laurenmisja Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I try my hardest to stick to the 1200 calorie goal that is set for me. I log my exercise and if (more like when) I ever go over my 1200 calories, it acts like a buffer so that I'm not in the negative. But I also don't just think that exercise = more calories to eat. It's been working for me; lost about 1 lbs per week and now I'm 16 lbs down
  • laurenmisja
    laurenmisja Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also not to sound preachy, but check WHAT you're eating too. My friend said the same thing to me about not losing, but she was not eating the right things. Eating 1200 calories of pizza will let you lose weight eventually- but not as fast as someone eating 1200 calories of healthier options. And ps I'm no angel - I have definitely had to check myself lately bc I've been making bad food choices
  • harat101
    Options
    Lauren 16 pounds is great, nice work! And what I'm eating is totally a valid question! (Not preachy). But I am eating fresh fruits/veggies, lean meat, whole grains etc. Really trying to avoid processed food. I guess I need to give my body longer than a week of healthy eating and working out to adjust. Lol. You can't lose 20 pounds in a week... *sigh*
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am a runner too! I guess from what I read when I followed the link as long as you populate your level of exercise when you create your account you shouldn't have to eat the calories expended while exercising. I hope I am reading that right!
  • harat101
    Options
    Hello fellow runner. :) so jazzy how many miles do you run a week / what is your "activity level" set too?