Bulletproof Coffee...Busted

Options
sweating_for_wedding
sweating_for_wedding Posts: 41 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
How ‘Superfoods’ Like Bulletproof Coffee Get Popular (Hint: It’s Not Nutritional Science)

I love this article. Favorite parts:

1. Dr. Ranit Mishori, a family medical doctor and professor at Georgetown University School of Medicine, has reviewed the scientific literature on juice cleanse diets. Her conclusion is that any promise that a food will “cleanse” is “complete nonsense.” “The human body was set up to ‘detox’ itself 24 hours a day and for free.

2. “Drink it if you like it, but don’t assume it’s a powerful, much-needed food in your diet,”

3. “All plants have antioxidants,” said Blake. “Do I need to have an expensive berry? Is it going to have any superior nutritional benefit over another plant food?”

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Some of these companies are very good at blending common items into high margin 'diet' aids. Working the yoga centers for example was a great gorilla marketing approach.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    What the heck is bulletproof coffee? Is it solid coffee or something? Coffee I can eat? Sounds bizarre.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I dunno about superfood or whatever but it sounds pretty delicious:
    https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/

I've been hearing about the butter coffee lately. Might have to try it one of these days. I'll try anything if it involves coffee.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I didn't consider kale superior,I just considered another option. I didn't consider chia magical, just another seed choice.
    I like variety.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    busted? I thought the only reason for it was because it was delicious. And it is delicious.

How is this busted?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    busted? I thought the only reason for it was because it was delicious. And it is delicious.

How is this busted?

It's a part of a fad diet that claims it will accelerate weight loss. I think that's what it was busting. Adding oil to your coffee will not cause you to lose weight. Do it if you enjoy it but, like everything else, it has to fit into a caloric deficit for weight loss.

I like butter in my rum from time to time, along with a couple other ingredients. It won't aid my weight loss but, for my taste buds it tastes awesome.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Butter and rum, yes. Yes.
  • artica30
    artica30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I dunno about superfood or whatever but it sounds pretty delicious:
    https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/

I've been hearing about the butter coffee lately. Might have to try it one of these days. I'll try anything if it involves coffee.
    It taste good. I had some last week

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    God I thought it was hideous. I'll just keep my coffee with cream and sugar, thanks.
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Believe whatever you want from whatever source you want.
  • brower47
    Options

This statement is the antithesis to seeking knowledge.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Love coffee with some butter, coconut oil and cocoa powder. As a tool used the right way, it could be used successfully to aid a weight loss effort, but I wouldn't consider it any magic weight loss bullet.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    God I thought it was hideous. I'll just keep my coffee with cream and sugar, thanks.

Did you do just butter or butter and oil? I probably wouldn't go with oil. Maybe butter and cinnamon.

• sofaking6
    Options

Amen?

• Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

This just gives dumbasses the go ahead to keep on being dumbasses...and then spread that incorrect information.
  • mohawkRN
    mohawkRN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great article, thanks for sharing!
  • Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    grass fed butter. why didn't i think of that?
  • brower47
    Options
    Lambrah wrote: »
    grass fed butter. why didn't i think of that?

I tried feeding my butter grass but it just sat there and melted. Afterwards, it tasted kind of odd.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I can't even . . . butter or oil in coffee?

No. Just. . . no.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Bullet roof coffee is just a modern day take off of yak butter tea which has been consumed in Tibet and Nepal for thousands of years. It is for energy not as a cleanse.