Do you log cheat days?

Options
2»

Replies

• gin_fb33
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, I log everything that goes in my mouth (unless I go to AYCE restaurants, then I log as much as I can remember and guesstimate the rest of the calories and just do a quick add for those).
  • KiminNorCal
    KiminNorCal Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :( Cheat days sabotage my whole weeks worth of weight loss efforts.
  • fitnessgoddess17
    fitnessgoddess17 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    yes I'm not going to lie to myself
  • aeviescas
    aeviescas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I log as honestly as I can. I need to know how much I'm setting myself back by and/or if I'll need an extra deficit during the week.

Are you going to be at your friends' house or yours? If yours, just set up a scale by the kitchen and every time you get seconds of wings just weigh them on the scale and snap a pic with your smartphone. Worry about "real" logging later.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    andreamaym wrote: »
    I log it to the best of my ability, accept I'm going to be over my daily limit, and move on. I'm going to a superbowl party so I'll just have to make educated guesses when I log!

Exactly! I think it's important to log it because when you don't have a loss at the next weigh in it's easy to "forget" that you went off the rails for a day. When I have this type of challenge I try to work out extra the rest of the week and "bank" the calories to give myself a cushion. I would also make an attempt to not just eat everything available. Exercise some restraint and you'll be able to "cheat" without totally negating the rest of your efforts for the week.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yes because I'm interested in how my actual weight loss over time correlates with my reported calories consumed and calories burned.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I log everything for math/statistic issues. It's kinda nice when you realize that your big cheat was actually made up for in a couple days.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't log them, but I don't really "cheat" either. I take a day or two off from logging, because otherwise I tend to feel a bit too OCD about things.

I used to log everything, all the time. And that included a night with a very debaucherous bachelorette party. At the end of the night (more like very early that morning), I was over my calorie goal, but not by much. Enough so that "if every day was like today, in five weeks..." I'd have gained one pound.

I thought, "WTF?!" That's it? If every night was like that night, I'd have liver failure in five weeks. ;) And that's when I started taking one day off on a weekend to not bother logging my calories. As long as I was seeing progress. I know that it's really hard for me to do enough damage to undo what I've done during the week. And it's really not fun trying to keep tally of everything you eat and drink in a party atmosphere. It might end up like this...

amytallythesilence.jpg?w=842

As I got closer to my goal, I started taking both weekend days off, and still had the same results. Fast forward a couple years, and injury and apathy put a few pounds back on. I'm not in any major hurry to get them off, so I'm sticking with logging M-F and playing it by ear on weekends and major holidays (birthdays, Thanksgiving, NYE). So far, it's working for me.

YMMV.