Anyone else sleeping less from healthier eating/exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Working out is a natural endor
    tjcuts339 wrote: »
    YumiZoomi wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Do you workout prior before going to sleep? Digestion process also can keep some from sleeping soundly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I usually workout between 11a-2pm.. Somewhere in there... And its all cardio.. This week I added weights in the PM between 6-7pm. Four days a week I have doubles. On those nights I eat dinner at 8pm.. is that too late?
    Exercise supposedly tires you out, at least it does for me if I workout for an hour or two or two and a half, because sometimes I need a nap, healthy eating, hmm I don't know.
    tjcuts339 wrote: »
    I also have noticed.a considerable.differences in need for sleep 6 hours at one session. That's. Max .I also do 40min or more cardio daily. Early am before work. Feel ton more energy never need the weekend xra slsleep needed before.I started daily. Workouts. A response. Above talk about the stress hormones. To much of this is bad so when you need a day or two of skipping the gym your body will tell you Take no more than 48 hours. So you dint lose core strength. You have building.

• tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Natural endorphin that you can't purchase at any pharmacy. Are body produces naturally. That's another. Reason I think we sleep less. Between. Workouts we are ready for anything and everything.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I have been sleeping like a couple hours most days. All I do is cardio, though. I don't know about those endorphins. Exercise doesn't really lift my mood or ease my stress. I usually walk about 5 miles a day, I'm still waiting for that boost.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm sleeping less, but my hormones are all ****ed up right now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    YumiZoomi wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Do you workout prior before going to sleep? Digestion process also can keep some from sleeping soundly.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I usually workout between 11a-2pm.. Somewhere in there... And its all cardio.. This week I added weights in the PM between 6-7pm. Four days a week I have doubles. On those nights I eat dinner at 8pm.. is that too late?
    So do you find yourself most restless that nights that you eat later? If not, then it's fine. But if you're going to bed at 10pm, chances are that digestive process could be keeping you from deep sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • YumiZoomi
    Options
    Well I can't say for sure yet... it's only been this week. I did however notice on Tuesday (I had weights that night and ate at 8pm), I slept around 11p-12a because I took this melatonin or something my aunt said to give a try.. some herbal pill which triggers the sleepiness to fall asleep but it doesn't keep you asleep or anything. And I slept through the night.

Yesterday, Wednesday, I didn't have a night session, more like a stretch swim mid day (around 2pm), and I took the melatonin again and I did fall asleep but woke up an hour or 2 later.. And I woke up like every hour! By 3 or 4am I was just laying there with my eyes closed until about 8am. X_X..I don't know if this has anything to do with body soreness because I move a LOT in my sleep and it was uncomfortable. Normally I don't know but my vivofit tracks it and it shows I move all over the place LOL.

So I have yet to feel sleepy... :| I even worked out better/longer in today's swim. I'm not even tempted for a nap and I'm going for my lift sesh in an hour... I'm hoping tonight I sleep all through because technically I feel like I been up 48hours and not feeling tired or sleepy.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    "Digestion time varies between individuals and between men and women. After you eat, it takes about six to eight hours for food to pass through your stomach and small intestine. Food then enters your large intestine (colon) for further digestion, absorption of water and, finally, elimination of undigested food." Mayo Clinic.

It not going to matter much if your meal is two or three hours before sleep. Or, matter much even if it's just before except for possible discomfort cause by the bloating. Overall digression time would take long though.

As for my sleep duration, it's been more a function of age. In my teens to mid thirties, up to ten hours. After 35, I was sleeping between 6-7 hours. Now, ten years later, less than 6 with one or more interruptions. Activity to sleep duration seem to matter much more when I was young. After a 70 miles bike ride I used to sleep for 12 hours or more in my early twenties, now I wake up normally. But I use to finish that length of ride in just over three hours, now it's over four and a half hours (I'm terribly out of shape but working on it). Not the same intensity so maybe not a good comparison.