protein powder choices=??????

Options
Can anyone tell me which protein powder is best and why? I know there are a lot of options, whey,soy,plant based...not sure why some are considered better than others. Thanks!

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Everybody will give you a different answer and reason. Here are my top pics based on digesitibility( won't cause bubbly guts/bloating),taste good mix well shaker or blender or straight up, Natural Factors whey factors, Kaizen Natural whey, progressive brown rice protein powder, sun warrior brown rice protein powder. All four of these are sweetened with stevia.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Personally for me it comes down to two items.
    Price per amount of protein I'm getting and taste.
    Shop around, compare labels and look for reviews on taste.
  • heyhey2015
    heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks nick and piper. Will try to find those you mentioned. Any reasons you know of for others saying whey based powder is bad choice?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar Whey is great for me anyway. just protein, no carbs, fat...etc so it is easier to manage because if you just need a protein sup then that is all it is.
    Casein protein is great under the right conditions if you need it. Google it to understand what it is used for. Not for everyone.
  • llane2012
    llane2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quality is important as well as taste. Shaklee has some amazing smoothie mixes that are extremely high quality.
  • christina1930
    christina1930 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey is my favorite! Lots of protein and only 100 calories.
  • heyhey2015
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    Syntrax Nectar Whey is great for me anyway. just protein, no carbs, fat...etc so it is easier to manage because if you just need a protein sup then that is all it is.
    Casein protein is great under the right conditions if you need it. Google it to understand what it is used for. Not for everyone.

Where can I find this?
  • ambermertens
    ambermertens Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Sunwarrior Vanilla protein powder. I love it! I mix it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • McEneny
    McEneny Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Whey is a by product of making cheese.

A lot of people try to avoid dairy products as much as they can for a couple of reasons, notably the theory that breaking down animal protein can create excess acid in the body which people theorize adds to the risk of cancer, and of course the typical complaint with diary (i am one of them, but whey doesnt bother me though) digestive problems.

Whey does have some advantages though, it tends to break down faster than plant based proteins. It also doesn't have estrogen built in like soy protein would.

I dont know too much about brown rice based protein powders, but a lot of whey based protein has extra amino acid types thrown in there which drives the price up typically.

Totally agree with what they said above, price per pound, taste, and how do you feel afterwards. Everybody is different so if you can try out small sizes and when you find one you really like get the gigantic tub to save a little.

I currently have EAS Whey Protein with 26g of protein. I like it, but I mostly got it out of convenience of being in the grocery store. It mixes well, and leaves me feeling full for a few hours without feeling too bloated.

Hopefully that was helpful, and all advice should be taken with your own personal research :smile: (mostly because you can read ten different things about the same thing in 20 different places).

• RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I personally like Micellar Casein (vanilla or chocolate) by Bulk Nutrients.
    But it depends what you're looking for :)
  • heyhey2015
    Options
    McEneny wrote: »
    Whey is a by product of making cheese.

A lot of people try to avoid dairy products as much as they can for a couple of reasons, notably the theory that breaking down animal protein can create excess acid in the body which people theorize adds to the risk of cancer, and of course the typical complaint with diary (i am one of them, but whey doesnt bother me though) digestive problems.

Whey does have some advantages though, it tends to break down faster than plant based proteins. It also doesn't have estrogen built in like soy protein would.

I dont know too much about brown rice based protein powders, but a lot of whey based protein has extra amino acid types thrown in there which drives the price up typically.

Totally agree with what they said above, price per pound, taste, and how do you feel afterwards. Everybody is different so if you can try out small sizes and when you find one you really like get the gigantic tub to save a little.

I currently have EAS Whey Protein with 26g of protein. I like it, but I mostly got it of convenience of being in the grocery store. It mixes well, and leaves me feeling full for a few hours without feeling too bloated.

Hopefully that was helpful, and all advice should be taken with your own personal research :smile: (mostly because you can read ten different things about the same thing in 20 different places).

• heyhey2015
    Options
    Thank you. That is good advice and info.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Check out BioChem products. www.biochem-fitness.com
    I have been using it for several years. 20g of protein
    Certified Gluten-Free
    Non-GMO
    Free of artificial hormones including rBST and rBGH†
    Easily digestible
    99% lactose free
    Soy free
    - See more at: http://countrylifevitamins.com/store/100-whey-protein-natural-flavor#sthash.VHcRnty5.dpuf