Deli meats

Options
Mitzki5
Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
I am eating healthier. Trying to eat more turkey and chicken rather than red meat. I thought sliced deli meat would be the way to go and have been eating a lot of turkey. It seems like the deli turkey is very high in sodium. Anyone know a brand of sliced turkey that's better for me with less sodium?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Deli meat by its very nature tends to be high in sodium. I don't worry about it myself, as I don't have any health concerns that warrant it, but if you're concerned, could you maybe roast some turkey breast to use rather than buying the deli meat?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head is usually a good brand.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I use jennie o low sodium deli turkey
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    They have low and no sodium deli meat. Just ask the deli dude. I love the sodium.
  • GoldaTyla
    GoldaTyla Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've learned how important it is to actually read the ingredients labels as well as the nutrition information on packaged deli meats. If you must have deli, try purchasing directly from butcher shops --- might be more expensive, but maybe less sodium???
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Go with roasted instead of deli meat. Tastes better too, IMHO.
  • Mitzki5
    Options
    I've been eating slices of turkey as snacks or making a wrap without bread. Didn't realize how much sodium in the Kretschmar Oven Roasted Turkey until I started logging on here.
  • arditarose
    Options
    These posts make me nervous because I really do not care about sodium, then I see people caring..
  • Mitzki5
    Options
    I have always heard you don't want to much in your diet but I don't really know.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    These posts make me nervous because I really do not care about sodium, then I see people caring..

Is it bad that I only care because I can see it on the scale right away?
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Try not to have too much but you can have some. Sodium is actually necessary.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Mitzki5 wrote: »
    I have always heard you don't want to much in your diet but I don't really know.

Well, there are health problems like hypertension that are associated with excessive consumption and we're all pretty much excessive consumers.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Is it bad that I only care because I can see it on the scale right away?

No, I mean I get that. I guess I've always had a high sodium intake and I don't weigh myself very often so maybe I just don't notice it as much. Lately I was thinking maybe I should tone it down a little and see what the scale does.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I LOVE deli meat, and I could eat it all day but my cat always wants to share with me lol
  • BobbiTracey
    Options
    Deli meat by its very nature tends to be high in sodium. I don't worry about it myself, as I don't have any health concerns that warrant it, but if you're concerned, could you maybe roast some turkey breast to use rather than buying the deli meat?

Totally agree. I don't care too much about sodium either unless it's in excessive amounts. Might be a bit expensive to buy your own meats but would definitely be a good reduction in sodium if you are greatly concerned about it :)

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I suggest just buying a turkey breast and roasting it yourself.

I am done with processed foods, and all the Franken -Chemicals as preservatives. That way you control the sodium- none, and per a pound, it is far cheaper.

Usually, I just buy a rotisserie chicken, break it down, it lasts me a week.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I suggest just buying a turkey breast and roasting it yourself.

I am done with processed foods, and all the Franken -Chemicals as preservatives. That way you control the sodium- none, and per a pound, it is far cheaper.

Usually, I just buy a rotisserie chicken, break it down, it lasts me a week.

lol at roasting stuff. Way too ambitious for me.
  • Mitzki5
    Options
    I did find the Kretschmar makes a low sodium turkey. It is about 1/2 the regular. Still high though.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I did find the Kretschmar makes a low sodium turkey. It is about 1/2 the regular. Still high though.

The butcher told me that the boars head came in NO sodium. I don't really know if that's true because I didn't look it up and it seems like they would have a hard time getting it to keep, but I did buy it. Definitely only bought a little and it tasted like there was no darn salt.
  • Mitzki5
    Options

I know that I would never do this for lunch meat. It is a good idea for a healthier food but I know myself and would give up deli turkey before roasting my own lunch meats.