eating only meat and fruits

Options
Would consuming only meat and fruits help me loose weight?

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    But... why?

A calorie deficit is key to losing weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    food choice does not lead to weight loss…calorie deficit does…

so yes, if you eat meats and fruits and are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight…if you eat meat and fruit and are in a surplus the you will gain weight..

why do you want to do this? Why not just eat all the foods that you like, and eat to the number that MFP gives you for weight loss?????
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Eating within your calorie goal will help you lose weight. You don't have to cut out any food groups. Are you planning on eating only fruit and meat for the rest of your life?

Make your diet (way of eating) something you can sustain over the long term.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If it creates a calorie deficit and you can do it for the time it takes for you to lose the weight, yes.

Is it an easy way to lose weight? Probably not.

Is it healthy? I doubt it.

Is it necessary? Do you have medical issues that prevent you from eating other foods?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you eat just meat and fruit, as long as you are at a calorie deficit you would lose weight.

Similarly, if you ate from all food groups at a calorie deficit you would lose weight too.

I know which option I would prefer.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing she thinks she hates all vegetables.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Why?
    No palate I would guess, or a gullible one.

• sbahlezinwe67
    sbahlezinwe67 Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have been eating from different food group and every night when I close my day in my calorie chart on the part where it tells me how much would I weigh if all days were the same it keeps on teling me that I would loose 1.54kgs in 5 weeks that's almost two KGS in 5 weeks so I'm worried that eating bits of all food groups is not going to help me loose my ideal weight I weigh 82kgs and I wish to loose +15kg so I wish for something that can work for me but Im slowly drawing In fear, I'm also new here I wish to make this work
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I have been eating from different food group and every night when I close my day in my calorie chart on the part where it tells me how much would I weigh if all days were the same it keeps on teling me that I would loose 1.54kgs in 5 weeks that's almost two KGS in 5 weeks so I'm worried that eating bits of all food groups is not going to help me loose my ideal weight I weigh 82kgs and I wish to loose +15kg so I wish for something that can work for me but Im slowly drawing In fear, I'm also new here I wish to make this work

Ok.... ignore the number they give you when you close out your diary. It's an estimate, take it with a grain of salt.

Don't be afraid of any one food group, you can achieve weigh loss eating all the food groups.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Don't it harder than it needs to be. You can eat any food group you want, as long as you remain in a calorie deficit.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

2 kgs over 5 weeks sounds like a healthy weight loss rate. You really shouldn't try to rush it, you'll only set yourself up for failure and regaining the weight. The projections are just estimates/averages, anyway. I try to average over the week and the "projection" weight bounces all over the place.

Food group choices are nutritionally relevant, but don't matter for weight loss. The simple loss of mass comes from a simple caloric deficit. There are many good reasons to choose or not choose specific foods, but as long as you are dealing with the same number of calories, weight loss isn't part of that equation.

And, really, meat and fruit? This is the first time I've seen that combo here, and there are some folks with pretty odd macro choices around.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever food you want as long as you don't eat more than your calorie goal. It doesn't matter if the calories come from meat, vegetables, fruit or bread for weight loss.
    To be healthy, you do want a balanced diet with foods that provide the nutrients your body needs. If you eliminate too many food types it will be harder to do that and is unnecessary for weight loss anyway.

Log what you eat and drink as accurately as you can.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What a grim thought

Imagine how sick you'd get