Why am I not losing weight like i think i should?

Options
Hey everyone. I started dieting back in September of 2014 with changing my diet. Over a 7 week period I lost 12 lbs at which time I decided to include cardiovascular into my plan. I started out walking on my treadmill for about 15-20 minutes and have progressed to about 1hr45 minutes a day. At this rate, and along with my diet I would think that I would be shedding the pounds (I started at 344 lbs and am down to 319); however, it seems to be a very odd cycle. I'll lose a few lbs and then gain a few pounds. I am at a loss as to what is going on... HELP!!!!!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Food scale?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you log what you eat and drink?
  • swolfe01
    Options
    I am logging what I'm eating and drinking. A typical day of eating for me is 2 hardboiled egg whites for breakfast, either a green salad w/no dressing or a can of tuna for lunch w/mustard and usually a can of tuna w/mustard for dinner. Water consumption is 1/2 - 3/4 gallon a day
  • swolfe01
    Options
    I am only drinking water. I was drinking coffee but decided to go with water only. sometimes with a lemon.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary up?
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If that's all you're eating, you're starving yourself.
  • Nutn899
    Nutn899 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would take measurements. Muscle weighs more than fat. From your earlier post, it sounds like you are hardly eating anything at all. If that's the case, your body goes into "starvation" mode and holds on to all the weight it can. Try to eat more fruit and veggies too.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    So since you skip my food scale question. Your silence gives me my answer. So you are doing a VLCD?
  • swolfe01
    swolfe01 Posts: 15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    my apologies yopeeps025. Can you elaborate? are you asking me if i'm weighing my food? I am doing Very Low Carb though. carbs have been a fear of mine and i'm afraid of not cutting them.
  • malibu927
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nutn899 wrote: »
    I would take measurements. Muscle weighs more than fat. From your earlier post, it sounds like you are hardly eating anything at all. If that's the case, your body goes into "starvation" mode and holds on to all the weight it can. Try to eat more fruit and veggies too.

At that amount that he's eating, it's impossible to gain muscle. Also, starvation mode is a myth.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hello, fellow Virginian!

Open up your food diary, it will help us to advise you. But you're not eating enough, by what you just listed, which makes no sense. So you need a battle plan.

Step 1: Buy a food scale.
    Step 2: Weigh everything you eat and enter it in your food log.
    Step 3: Keep your log numbers in the green as much as possible.
    Step 4: Success!
  • tilishamichelle
    tilishamichelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. I can tell you right now that is less than 1,000 calories. Your really need to eat more than that. Check out a group called Eat More to Weigh less here on myfitnesspal.
  • malibu927
    Options
    swolfe01 wrote: »
    my apologies yopeeps025. Can you elaborate? are you asking me if i'm weighing my food? I am doing Very Low Carb though. carbs have been a fear of mine and i'm afraid of not cutting them.

Unless you have a medical reason to watch carbs, you do not need to cut them
  • christymedarismcfarland
    Options
    I feel you, only I've just been at it for a month. Working hard, eating 1300-1500 calories a day, and burning at least 4-500 additional through cardio and strength training. For the month, I'm only down 2 pounds. I know it's supposed to be simple math, but our bodies have a lot going on, and every single person is different. It does sound like you're not eating enough. I've tried cutting addl calories, but I don't see any more progress when I cut them out, and I don't see the sense in starving.
  • swolfe01
    Options
    Hello, fellow Virginian!

Open up your food diary, it will help us to advise you. But you're not eating enough, by what you just listed, which makes no sense. So you need a battle plan.

Are you saying that I can allow you to see my food diary or are you just pointing me to looking here?
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hello, fellow Virginian!

Are you saying that I can allow you to see my food diary or are you just pointing me to looking here?

You can allow us to see your food diary by adjusting your privacy under "settings." :)
  • PattiWalling
    PattiWalling Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that you are eating enough? Just from what you stated was a typical day that seems like a pretty small amount of calories for the amount that you must be burning doing 105 minutes of cardio. I understand your frustration. Besides taking a look at your macros....the main thing is DO NOT GIVE UP! When you stay consistent no matter what the scale says and you do keep at it, the weight has no choice but to come off. I'm just over 4 years in and 173 lb down so I know of what I speak. You might google hydration calculator and answer several of the little quizzes to get an average of how much water you need to be drinking...possibly double what you're drinking now..
  • swolfe01
    Options
    Hello, fellow Virginian!

You can allow us to see your food diary by adjusting your privacy under "settings." :)

Thanks CupCakeCrusoe. I've opened it up now
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Hello, fellow Virginian!

Well for weight loss only the calorie limit needs to be a green as much as possible.