Plateau! What should I do?

Options
Idontwanttobeahamplanet
Idontwanttobeahamplanet Posts: 25 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm currently weighing 151 lbs since December and starting to get frustrated. I know I ate like crap between Christmas and New year but have gotten back on track come January. What can I do to break this plateau?

Replies

• madonifer
    madonifer Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I was 140 in August now I am 146.5 nothing i seem to do works. But I know if you keep trying you will break it and be able to move forward. Some people just have a harder time. Don't stress just keep at it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Logging consistently?
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't think that I'd call it a plateau. You stated it yourself "I know I ate like crap between Christmas and New year.."
    Make sure you are measuring, weighing, and logging your calorie intake as accurately as possible. I'd purchase a food scale for more accuracy. Keep at it, you can do it!
  • Idontwanttobeahamplanet
    Options
    madonifer wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I was 140 in August now I am 146.5 nothing i seem to do works. But I know if you keep trying you will break it and be able to move forward. Some people just have a harder time. Don't stress just keep at it.

It's just frustrating to not see results even for a pound or two. I used to lose an average of 1-1.5lb weekly :S

Options

Yup. I have a foodscale and try to log everything I eat.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Yup. I have a foodscale and try to log everything I eat.

If you're having trouble losing, the best thing I can recommend is tightening up your logging. Especially since you used the word try - that tells me you're being inconsistent (I don't mean that in a rude way) - and inconsistency certainly makes it more difficult.

You can do it!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I just peeked at your diary - you use a lot of tbsp when you should be using grams - like peanut butter, butter, croutons, etc.

All solids should be weighed. The only thing you should be using a measuring cup/measuring spoons for are liquids.

Also make sure you're not using generic recipes from the database. If you're cooking it, you need to enter it yourself.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Make sure you account for everything consumed that contains calories. Jeff's fried egg for 70 calories? A large egg typically has 70 calories and frying it would add calories for the grease.

There are lots of listings in your food log showing generic entries, and showing cups/spoons for solid items. Use a food scale for anything solid - do not rely on cups. How much you fit in a cup of 1/2 cup could easily be more than the serving per weight. And avoid generic database entries - you have no way of knowing what they're based on. And something like .5 slice of porkchop - the calories depend on the amount of meat consumed. How big was the slice? If it was 50g vs 250g that makes a difference in the calories. So 1/2 of a slice is not specific enough to have an accurate calorie count.
    Options
    I just peeked at your diary - you use a lot of tbsp when you should be using grams - like peanut butter, butter, croutons, etc.

All solids should be weighed. The only thing you should be using a measuring cup/measuring spoons for are liquids.

Also make sure you're not using generic recipes from the database. If you're cooking it, you need to enter it yourself.

Thanks. But how do I weigh things like peanut butter, butter, etc without making a mess?
    Options
    Make sure you account for everything consumed that contains calories. Jeff's fried egg for 70 calories? A large egg typically has 70 calories and frying it would add calories for the grease.

There are lots of listings in your food log showing generic entries, and showing cups/spoons for solid items. Use a food scale for anything solid - do not rely on cups. How much you fit in a cup of 1/2 cup could easily be more than the serving per weight. And avoid generic database entries - you have no way of knowing what they're based on. And something like .5 slice of porkchop - the calories depend on the amount of meat consumed. How big was the slice? If it was 50g vs 250g that makes a difference in the calories. So 1/2 of a slice is not specific enough to have an accurate calorie count.

You're right. I should start weighing food more often and break down ingredients when I cook. Thanks for the tip. I also don't use grease when frying egg. Tfal does the job well without oil :smile:
  • shortiequinn
    shortiequinn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Take a break, relax.
    Buy new gym clothes.
    Come back more motivated.
    Options
    Take a break, relax.
    Buy new gym clothes.
    Come back more motivated.

I think I need new workout bottoms :smiley:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

Thanks. But how do I weigh things like peanut butter, butter, etc without making a mess?

Put your jar/container on the scale, turn it on, it should say 0 grams, scoop out what you want to use, which should result in a -X grams. Whatever that -X grams says is how much you're using. If it is more than you want, just add some back to the container. If it is less than you want to use, scoop some more out.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Either weigh it as you're putting it on what you're eating it with, or set the container on the scale, zero it out, and take out a serving.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen, it isn't a big deal.

The week of Christmas I gained one pound. I figured I would because I gave myself 24 hours off for Christmas day.
    The week after I lost one pound.
    The following three weeks I did not gain or lose.
    The past week I have lost 3 pounds.

All I did was stick with the plan and be patient. I didn't change anything because past experience told me that my plan is correct for me. My goal/plan is 1 pound lost per week.
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

Put your jar/container on the scale, turn it on, it should say 0 grams, scoop out what you want to use, which should result in a -X grams. Whatever that -X grams says is how much you're using. If it is more than you want, just add some back to the container. If it is less than you want to use, scoop some more out.

That's a great idea. Except I have a 2kilo peanut butter jar. Otherwise, I think it will work.
    Options
    Plateaus happen, it isn't a big deal.

The week of Christmas I gained one pound. I figured I would because I gave myself 24 hours off for Christmas day.
    The week after I lost one pound.
    The following three weeks I did not gain or lose.
    The past week I have lost 3 pounds.

All I did was stick with the plan and be patient. I didn't change anything because past experience told me that my plan is correct for me. My goal/plan is 1 pound lost per week.

I probably just need to do as you say and be patient and NOT weigh myself everyday.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

That's a great idea. Except I have a 2kilo peanut butter jar. Otherwise, I think it will work.

Man. That's my kinda peanut butter jar.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Your scale should have a tare, which lets you put a dish on the scale and then zero it out again. For example, I'd put my slice of bread on the scale, and then zero it. Then add peanut butter to the bread. Whatever weight it shows, that's the weight of the PB.

If your scale doesn't have a tare, just do the math. If the bread alone weighs 50g and the sandwich weighs 80, you used 30g of PB
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've currently hit a plateau too! It's frustrating i know, however have a good look at what you are doing/not doing! AND DON'T GIVE UP!

I weigh/measure everything, so i know my cals are accurate, but i don't do enough exercise so that's my problem! Maybe like me you need to exercise more? Maybe you are estimating too much or often? As hard as it is, there is always a reason :neutral_face:

If you stick with it the plateau will eventually pass. You can't maintain at a calorie deficit forever! Add me if you want some motivation :smiley: