Satisfying Low Calorie Foods

Options
Hi Everyone,
Just curious what low calorie foods you find satisfying as a go to snack. Or even low calorie meals?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast
    Greek yogurts
    Quest protein bars or the Pure Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Starbucks Iced coffees
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    marinaded pork loin
    bag of steamed vegetables

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash IMO is the most filling, delicious, really low calorie food I've eaten. I love it!
  • noodle412
    noodle412 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Substituting puréed cauliflower with roasted garlic for potatoes or a strach with meals is super delicious and low in calories
  • missbossypants
    missbossypants Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My latest favourite, satisfying snack is snap peas with hummus. YUMMMM! It's like crunchy chips and dip!
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I will second the spaghetti squash as super filling and low calorie. You can top it with whatever kind of pasta sauce you like. We like to sautee a bunch of veggies, add tomato sauce, lots of oregano and garlic and put that on top of the prepared spaghetti squash.

And I also agree that cauliflower mashed potatoes are satisfying and low calorie. Another option is to "rice" cauliflower. Use a food processor or grater to chop the cauliflower into rice sized pieces. you can then steam it or just eat it raw, either way is great. Use the cauliflower rice as you would any other rice. We use it for stir fry and I have even made sushi rolls with it. Very low calorie and high nutrition.
  • ValentineNicole
    ValentineNicole Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I will second the spaghetti squash as super filling and low calorie. You can top it with whatever kind of pasta sauce you like. We like to sautee a bunch of veggies, add tomato sauce, lots of oregano and garlic and put that on top of the prepared spaghetti squash.

And I also agree that cauliflower mashed potatoes are satisfying and low calorie. Another option is to "rice" cauliflower. Use a food processor or grater to chop the cauliflower into rice sized pieces. you can then steam it or just eat it raw, either way is great. Use the cauliflower rice as you would any other rice. We use it for stir fry and I have even made sushi rolls with it. Very low calorie and high nutrition.

Do you find ricing cauliflower to be satisfying? I've never tried it, but we eat rice every meal. I've cut back to rice only at dinner and in small portions, but I feel like cauliflower might be a great solution. Heck, I might eat it when maintaining even, just to limit the arsenic! LOL

• ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    0 Fat plain greek yogurt with fresh blue berries and apple, sprinkly 1/2 teaspoon of coconut sugar
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    black beans, spinach, plain greek yogurt, cabbage, raw carrots, melon.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Oxymoron.

Taste = calories. Handle with care. Spread out throughout day/week. Enjoy.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love making spaghetti squash spaghetti or chicken Alfredo. I also have 0% plain greek yogurt with berries every morning. Love it!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash IMO is the most filling, delicious, really low calorie food I've eaten. I love it!

I second this. If I could eat it EVERYDAY I would. But my BF would get very tired of it!

• eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It is kind of pricey too
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you mean satisfying as in solving a crave food... Cauliflower Crust pizza, with diced chicken breast, green peppers, onions, sliced tomatoes, garlic, jalapenos, and only the slightest amount of low fat mozzarella cheese and parmesan sprinkled on top. I can eat until my heart (and stomach) is content and easily meet my calorie goals...

You make the crust 1st, roll it out to size and bake it until golden brown, then add toppings and put back in over 10 minutes until toppings are heated thru..

Crust is simply, 4 cups diced/steamed fresh cauliflower, 3 egg whites, 1/3 cup of low fat shredded mozzarella cheese, & oregano, mixed, rolled out onto parchment paper lined pizza pan.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I need calories to be satisfied. I eat low carb so I use low calorie vegetables for higher calorie grains and starchy carbs all of the time. But those meals do not satisfy my appetite until I add the calories I "saved" back in the form of fat. Because I am satisfied by those full calorie meals I don't snack and just end up eating less overall.

I hope you continue to get lots of ideas from everyone else but if your food isn't satisfying maybe you need to eat more calories, less often.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    One thing that has always helped me to feel more satisfied with low calorie meals is to be sure I'm including at least a little fat with each meal. That doesn't have to be a ton of bacon and olive oil all the time, but adding a thin slice of cheese to a sandwich or a spritz of oil to my veggies made a difference for me.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    rickloving wrote: »
    If you mean satisfying as in solving a crave food... Cauliflower Crust pizza, with diced chicken breast, green peppers, onions, sliced tomatoes, garlic, jalapenos, and only the slightest amount of low fat mozzarella cheese and parmesan sprinkled on top. I can eat until my heart (and stomach) is content and easily meet my calorie goals...

You make the crust 1st, roll it out to size and bake it until golden brown, then add toppings and put back in over 10 minutes until toppings are heated thru..

Crust is simply, 4 cups diced/steamed fresh cauliflower, 3 egg whites, 1/3 cup of low fat shredded mozzarella cheese, & oregano, mixed, rolled out onto parchment paper lined pizza pan.
    this I gotta try

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It is kind of pricey too

If you mean spaghetti squash, it is. But it's really easy to grow and stores for months.
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    One thing that I really, really love is a frozen veggie combination of white and green green beans and carrots. I heat them up so they're warm, put Sriracha sauce and chili powder on them then heat them the rest of the way ... sprinkle a little salt on them ... delicious!
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    One of my recent favorites is cottage cheese with chopped strawberries drizzled with honey. Low calorie, high protein and delicious :)