Your hardest habit to stop?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
For me it's needing something sweet after lunch. Because I'm full and don't really *need* food and I'm better off saving those calories for later so I don't end up with 250 calories left for dinner again... But sheesh it's hard to kick in. I bought gummy vitamins instead of pills, hoping it will do the trick...

What about yours?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Bedtime snacking. I plan for it but sometimes I really want to do the mindless eating that I used to do while reading my book before turning out the lights.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    chewing my toenails... HAVE you seen an Emu's toe nails??? darn embarrassing... especially at work :P
  • labeastette
    labeastette Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eating like crap on the weekends. I food prep for Mon-Fri and that's good. But when it comes to weekends, I really have to work to force myself to make clean food. The hubby isn't helping when all he wants to do is go out to eat or have a big breakfast with full on eggs, bacon, sausages, etc. I have to use a lot of willpower to stick to turkey bacon and egg whites!
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Cheese and crackers. Actually just cheese. I can cut up a good portion for myself put the cheese back in the fridge and as soon as I'm done I just go right back in and cut myself more cheese. I hide that stuff in the fridge now. If I can't see it, I forget about it.
  • kkay3182
    kkay3182 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    dessert after dinner!! Although I am full I am not "happy" until I have that piece of cake :(
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Evening snacking after dinner! So hard! :(
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    There are two times when I just want something bad to snack on: when I get home from work and after dinner while relaxing. The former I can usually control but the latter, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, are tough! So I just try to budget for those extra calories.
  • ElusivePete
    ElusivePete Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lately, my chocolate habit has been my major challenge. I never thought of myself as a big chocolate eater until I started logging my food, and then I realised just how much I regularly consume (and how scarily many calories it contains!).

I never intend to cut it out entirely, but I've certainly been working to reduce my consumption. Switching to small sized bars has helped. Having to stop and think about opening a new bar is sometimes just enough to help me resist, whereas once I've started a normal sized bar it's very easy to finish the whole thing!
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Weekend Evenings are my enemy. I usually like to wind down the week with a few adult beverages, but that then leads to snacking, etc.... followed by a NEED for a big breakfast in the morning? What a vicious cycle I've gotten into?

Even if I save up the calories and hit the gym to build up a stock pile, I tend to get bloated and gain anyway. It's a no win, and I just need to choose a different outlet for the weekends.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I eat way too fast and I like to eat while doing other things.
  • LayThoseBricks
    LayThoseBricks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Omg, eating at night! Having something on my stomach helps me get to sleep quicker, and old habits are so hard to break! To help me out with this, I have been making a cup of hot tea with Splenda. It is both filling and warm, which helps ease me to sleep quicker. Maybe a cup of tea after lunch might help you, Francl27 ? I am also a recovering carb addict (mainly chips, pasta, and bread) and have been subbing out for kale chips, spiral zucchini mock-pasta, and St. Joseph's stone ground pitas.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Drinking my calories. I've never been a big eater - I've always drank over half my intake a day (gross, right?). I'd have OJ, 6 Dr. Peppers, and about 6 cups of coffee a day (over 1600 calories a day, roughly).

It's been easy to stop everything but the coffee. Especially on cold days.
  • LayThoseBricks
    LayThoseBricks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    shadowloss wrote: »
    Weekend Evenings are my enemy. I usually like to wind down the week with a few adult beverages, but that then leads to snacking, etc.... followed by a NEED for a big breakfast in the morning? What a vicious cycle I've gotten into?

Even if I save up the calories and hit the gym to build up a stock pile, I tend to get bloated and gain anyway. It's a no win, and I just need to choose a different outlet for the weekends.

I know what you mean. This used to be a big issue for me. Now I build my adult beverages into my diet plan on those days that I am going to drink them. I make sure not to eat many snacks so I can save my calories for my drinks. Did you know that Rolling Rock is only 130 calories and 10 carbs? I only drink 2-3, and at the end of the night I am within my limit to have those crackers or sandwich.

Just a thought, you know. Not sure what you like to drink or how much. It might not be suitable for everyone, but it's a thought.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    snacking at night....argh. I realize though that I do it a lot when calorie counting. So taking a break again from counting.
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Stress drinking!!!! That 'OMG, I've had a *kitten* day so 'pop' then 'glug glug glug' goes the red wine into the glass followed by that first sip and that lovely warm feeling.....BUT, I'm 30 days into a alcohol free 6 weeks (1st Jan until Valentines Day!) to kickstart my weight loss. It's been SO hard breaking the habit....and I REALLY miss wine. I'm hoping to start being more moderate and drink only at weekends/special occasions. Two more weeks to go....but I've already lost 12 lbs since Jan 1st so I'm happy to stick with it.

Whatever habit you are trying to crack....good luck!!!! It can be done. It's hideous and boring....but it can be done.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, wine and cheese. Especially drinking wine at night. Urg.
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, wine and cheese. Especially drinking wine at night. Urg.

Yup, yup, yup!!! My friends and I often play the 'chocolate, wine, cheese' game....ie, what order would you put them in? For me it's 1) Red wine 2) Cheese 3) Chocolate. Always. Haven't had all three since Jan 1st! Miss them all...but mostly the wine!!!!
  • carlyy4589
    carlyy4589 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wine and eating junk at friends places :neutral_face:
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Stress drinking!!!! That 'OMG, I've had a *kitten* day so 'pop' then 'glug glug glug' goes the red wine into the glass followed by that first sip and that lovely warm feeling.....BUT, I'm 30 days into a alcohol free 6 weeks (1st Jan until Valentines Day!) to kickstart my weight loss. It's been SO hard breaking the habit....and I REALLY miss wine. I'm hoping to start being more moderate and drink only at weekends/special occasions. Two more weeks to go....but I've already lost 12 lbs since Jan 1st so I'm happy to stick with it.

Whatever habit you are trying to crack....good luck!!!! It can be done. It's hideous and boring....but it can be done.

Congrats on the 12 lbs.! Breaking bad habits IS hard, but it can be done. If decide to cut something out completely for a while every time I start thinking about giving in I remind myself that X (whatever I've eliminated) will still exist in the future. I can have it again at some point, just not right now. Sometimes reassuring yourself helps even though it probably sounds silly.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    For me it's hardest not to keep munching all day at my desk at work. I had that habit for so many years, mostly due to boredom, I believe.