Can I celebrate here?

Options
I made this goal not as a new years resolution, only because it happened to fall into the new year. I started it because my husband I and booked a honeymoon in Mexico, we've been together 10years now, 3kids and married 2years but this will be the first trip we take just us. So I wanted to look and feel my best.

I just feel I cant celebrate my weight loss achievements around friends/family/coworkers. I am a petite frame, 5'4 and I started this weighing 150lbs. Even with 30lbs above my BMI recommendation and 20lbs above my goal, I still wear a size 6 jean. So if I even remotely comment about feeling low about my weight I'm bombarded with brush offs and glares.

The point to it is that I DO feel crummy about my size and I wanted to step up and doing something about it...but I have no cheer team with me.

So I just want to say I stepped on the scale this morning (although I was supposed to wait until Feb. 1) and I'm down 8.5lbs so far. I am taking one day at a time and so far it is working. I've currently logged in 25 straight days AND only been above my count once in all of them.

I would just love some positive cheers or stories from others as although I'm elated that clothes are starting to fit, I'm not even at my halfway mark and I am finding myself falling into some old thoughts. "Take one day off and binge" or "its fine if you go over a couple days". I need to push those voices away before I cave.

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Hey! Sounds like you are off to a good start. I am sorry you feel alone in your journey, but you can always come here for support. 8.5 pounds down is great! Just keep it up and you know, if you DO go over a couple of days, it's not the end of the world. You just reign it in and start better tomorrow. Have a bit of patience with yourself. Cheers!!!!!!!
  • lennonluvr
    lennonluvr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm rather petite too. I'm 4'11" at 177 pounds. I don't think a lot people realize how much even 20 extra pounds makes us look and feel.

You can do this! Binge eating will do nothing for you but make you feel awful the next day.

You've already lost 8.5 pounds which is huge on someone our size! You can do this.
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends don't have a weight problem when I look at it from MY perspective as I have 85 lbs to loose. HOWEVER making a choice to do something to make yourself feel better and be healthier is difficult even if your weight loss goal is 10 lbs

Congratulations on your loss!!! Keep it up and know that you can always come here for encouragement!!!
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    8.5 pounds! Awesome job! (*)
  • maryjboom
    maryjboom Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I also worry about going over and falling into old habits. But I have learned not to deprive myself of what I am craving. I work it into my daily intake (not everyday). And if I go over then I just work harder the next day.
    Keep going! You have made a good start.
  • PS1959
    PS1959 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! 8.5 is wonderful!!!
  • theflyingpelican
    theflyingpelican Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's a great feeling. I love it when the clothes start to fit differently. =)
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And pants size is just a number, good for you for nipping the weight in the bud, before it was even harder to lose. I'm like you, had a small goal (20 pounds) and I'm almost there.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yippee!! I am doing one day at a time, and so far so good! It REALLY works. In fact, I think it may be the only thing that ever has worked for me :smile: Congratulations on your success and moving closer to your goals!
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I remember when I started to see the number on the scale drop, felt good. :smiley: I'm down to 162 and my goal was 160. Although I'm close, I will prob drop another 5 to put me at 155 and then I will begin to maintain and focus on lifting for a while then hopefully bulk (will need to look into how to do this properly without gaining unnecessary fat) Good luck on your journey.
  • adriennel502
    adriennel502 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Same problem for me. I have a little less than 20 pounds (had to convert that from kilos that we use in New Zealand!) and I do get some strange looks when I say I'm trying to lose weight. I just point out that I put weight on my belly and that's the worst type to have. But this is all about me, not them, so just focussing on my successes and being happy (I took myself down a belt notch today!)
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Good for YOU!! I wish to goodness that I had stopped when I was a little overweight. If I had I wouldn't be where I am now, severely obese. If I could give advice to every person in the world it would be to not ever let yourself get really overweight; it's so hard to lose when you are older. You should be proud of what you've lost and get to where you feel comfortable. Kudos to you!
  • Hammers222
    Options
    When I lose "only a pound" one week, I take things from around the house that weigh a pound and realise how much a pound really is. If you don't get motivation from family and friends, you could always use that method to keep you going. It may not help some people, but it really helps me.

8.5 pounds is an amazing start, well done!!
  • DiscipleForLife
    DiscipleForLife Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey seeyoubabyweight, you've done a great thing. First you have a goal in mind: a concrete amount of weight, a date to complete it. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so look in the mirror for definition etc. Also, you won't get glares from us! Each of us on MFP are on our own journey to better health, better look etc. Wonderful job, keep doing the activities that move you towards your goal. Don't listen to those who say otherwise. Hang out with others that have the same passion, those who can lift you up, and more importantly, who you can lift up! The more you can help others, the more it helps you get stronger and focused to meet your goal.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!