Weight loss goal too aggressive?

Options
I'm wondering if for someone of my weight/size/history that my current setting of 1.5-2/week is too aggressive. I am at 1200 calorie allowance and I think my body naturally burns 2040 a day.

I am 5'7" and 142 pounds, I had wanted to get down to 130 over the course of this semester but thought faster would be better so I could get it over with more quickly, or I could have time to lose more if I wanted to. I wouldn't say I look overweight, just not "fit" or where I want to be; I was athletic in the past, did field hockey and track (sprints/pole vault though, not long distance).

I am eating right around or over my 1200 a day but it's pretty hard at college and I feel very restricted and hungry. I can't tell if I genuinely need more or if it's a matter of my brain adjusting to eating smaller amounts, less late night snacks, etc. I feel like I can't eat any of my favorite foods or even snack anymore. It kinda sucks, but again it's hard to tell if I'm being wimpy or if I'm really pushing myself way harder than I need to.

Any insight/tips would be helpful, thank you so much!

Replies

• lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Rather than trying to lose weight, have you considered changing your body by incorporating strength trainjng? If that doesn't float your boat then yes it is a very aggressive and miserable deficit. Shoot for a half a lb a week at the most. You're at a healthy weight now.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You only have 12 pounds to lose. A more appropriate and realistic goal for you would be .5 pounds/week.

The goal here is to eat as much as you can, while still losing. There's no reason for you to be at 1200 calories.
  • aljarema
    aljarema Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I guess my advice would be don't make yourself miserable. I would suggest playing around with your calorie intake to find a # where you are still at a deficit so you are losing weight, but not feeling super hungry and stressed. Maybe try adjusting the # of calories you eat in each meal/snack during the day? It helps to look at it as finding a ba;anced diet that you can sustain-- a lifestyle change. There's no rush to the finish line here, just try to find what works best for you individually. I hope that helps a little :) You got this!
  • sydneycampb3ll
    sydneycampb3ll Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some core work as well as quads/calves, but my primary problem area is my stomach and I was under the impression that I needed a combo of cardio/strength/diet to see improvement there.

Thank you both, I think I'll feel a lot better eating more, I just wasn't sure if it was a willpower thing or me not needing something that severe.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I think it's way too aggressive. I'm an inch taller, and a lot older, but went from about your current weight down to 135 while eating 1800-2000 cals a day.

You don't have a lot to lose, so going for such a big loss each week and restricting to1200 cals isn't realistic or sustainable, as you're already finding out. It does suck when there's no room for snacks or any of your favorite foods. Better off raising your goal to a number that allows for more food, more treats, less restriction.

The weight will still come off, and you'll be more likely to keep it off.

By the way, my lowest recorded weight was 133, but I haven't seen that number since hitting a couple of years ago. I tend to hang around 140lbs these days, going up or down a few pounds throughout the weeks, but my clothes all still fit the same as they did at 133. Grab a tape measure and track your measurements - especially as you get closer to goal, the tape will tell a truer story of your progress than the scale will.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I'd die of hunger on 1200.

No way. No how.

If you're hungry all the time there really is only one answer, right?

Slow that train down, pick up some more calories, and be a bit more comfortable.

It's the only way to go.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    18 years old & normal weight = you shouldn't be dieting at all. Figure out what exercises you love. Lift weights. Learn how to make great tasting, healthy food.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Personally, the slower the weight comes off = the longer the weight stays off
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    thought faster would be better so I could get it over with more quickly

That right there is why faster is *not* better. There's no "get it over with" when it comes to weight loss. There are only healthier habits that you're adopting now for life. If you look at weight loss as something with an end date, you're much more likely to go back to your old habits afterwards and to gain it all back. That's why people who lose weight quickly usually put it back on quickly, too.

Agree with everyone else -- drop your goal to something like 0.5lbs/week, and focus on eating and exercising in a way that you feel you could easily keep up indefinitely.

A simple litmus test: Ask yourself honestly, "can I see myself eating this way for the rest of my life?" If the answer is no, then it's too aggressive.
  • sydneycampb3ll
    sydneycampb3ll Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and reassurance, I can already feel relief adjusting my calories up :)