So exercise isn't needed to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    the whole eat at a calorie defecit has been covered

but I have to ask how you are getting those calorie burns, because they seem rather high

fr'instance - it would take me around 24 mins on the elliptical at around 8kmh, a resistance of 17 out of 25 and a HR of 150-160 to burn 200 calories or so now
  • ashley92188
    ashley92188 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

but I have to ask how you are getting those calorie burns, because they seem rather high

fr'instance - it would take me around 24 mins on the elliptical at around 8kmh, a resistance of 17 out of 25 and a HR of 150-160 to burn 200 calories or so now

Treadmill and this bike thing. Treadmill 40mins and bike 36. Im goin by wat my heart rate monitor says when I'm done.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Treadmill and this bike thing. Treadmill 40mins and bike 36. Im goin by wat my heart rate monitor says when I'm done.

So 76 minutes total for 800?
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Nope. Calories in/Calories out. Today, I've been here for 52 days and I'm 9lbs down and at my original goal - no exercise. Now, would I look better naked if I had, probably. But you don't NEED to. I tend to "hibernate" in the winter then when the nice weather hits I hit the pavement, so I know that when it's cold, I let food do the work to make the scale go down.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    Options
    Your eating 1600 calories and exercising, don't complicate it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't that accurate for walking ... unless you're using a very steep incline, it's probably overestimating your burn. For cycling ... they can be accurate, they can be way off. It depends on resistance, model of device, etc.
  • Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Dieting is a short fix you can lose a dramatic amount of weight buts its very important to be active and build muscle so that you can maintain that weight loss more efficiently. Muscle burns fat even when you are sitting. One thing you have to be careful about after exercising is over eating so just pace yourself with working out its a marathon not a race.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It's not, but you'll be flabby.

LOLNope.

So, no exercise while dieting will make someone toned and fit?

I think a good term is skinny fat.
  • ashley92188
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

So 76 minutes total for 800?

Yes. Wednesday my watch said 848 when I was done. Sometimes it says 900 somethin. It depends on my incline, speed etc.
  • ashley92188
    Options
    HRMs aren't that accurate for walking ... unless you're using a very steep incline, it's probably overestimating your burn. For cycling ... they can be accurate, they can be way off. It depends on resistance, model of device, etc.

I have a polar ft7. I have noticed that my heart rate always matches the heart rate on whatever machine I'm working out on but the calories burned is always much higher on my watch.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Pick the low number. It sounds like you are doing a lot of things right.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It's not, but you'll be flabby.

LOLNope.

So, no exercise while dieting will make someone toned and fit?

I think a good term is skinny fat.

Logic much?

• Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everybody! I'm sorry I should've added that I'm 5"11 290lbs. Right now I'm doin strictly cardio at the gym. Treadmill for 40mins at speeds of 3-3.5 then I get on this exercise bike for 36mins. I'm measuring my calories burned with my polar hrm which always tells me after those 2 workouts I've burned no less than 800cals-1000cals but my goal is atleast 700 bc I'd like to burn 3500 a week since I've been told 3500 burned is 1lb. Mind u I just got back into the gym maybe a week or 2 ago.
    So it looks like I should be using the strength machines as well and stop being afraid to eat lol and eat my calories back or atleast some of them? I guess it's harder for me to consume them now bc I'm drinking water all day which is filling and I'm also eating more frequently throughout the day to keep my metabolism going. Eating small healthy meals every 2-3 hours as opposed to 2-3 big unhealthy meals that more than likely got me this way in the first place. I just started using my food scale and mfp. I may be off with measurements on a few items but for the most part I guess it's pretty accurate. Mfp also measures my daily steps atleast when I have my phone in hand which adds more calories burned daily.
    My first concern is getting back down to a healthy weight but I do want to look good when I get there. I wasn't always this big. I used to be about 150 in hs then in college is when I was 160-170 then idk I started gaining gaining and gaining all while in denial never thinking I'd ever hit 300lbs but here I am. My eating habits never changed nor did my exercise level which has always been pretty much non existent but I guess my metabolism did n that's y I'm the way I am now. The weight gain happened over a period of about 5-6 years started in about 2009. And now I'm ready to get back in shape. I'm 26 and this isn't good nor is it healthy. I wanna be able to run and jump again and just be active so I kno the gym will definitely help get me back into shape. I just have to get to the point where I enjoy going.

Hey there, I have similar stats to you. I'm also 5'11" and currently at 280 (started at 299). It sounds like I don't work out quite as much as you, but I do work out usually 4-5 days a week, around 30-45 minutes each time. My total calorie intake is usually around 1900-2000, but my NET (after factoring calories burned during exercise) usually comes to around 1600, which is the goal MFP gave me for losing 2lbs per week. If you're only eating 1600 TOTAL, you can definitely eat more and still lose weight! I've been consistently losing approx. 2lbs per week. Feel free to friend me if you want, since we have similar stats and sounds like we also have similar goals! Always love finding new tall girl friends :) Good luck to you!
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My eating habits never changed nor did my exercise level which has always been pretty much non existent but I guess my metabolism did n that's y I'm the way I am now.

You are right....This is what happened.

In my opinion exercise isn't needed to to lose weight, however i do believe some form of activity or exercise is needed to maintain the weight loss.
    As long as you are eating the required calories for weight loss, you do not need exercise...5 mins walk around the block after each meal, lots of water will be ok. Be carefull when you start exercising and eating back calories, a lot of people put the weight back on by doing this incorrectly, either by not accurately estimating the calories burned or not accurately counting calories already eaten. Some have recommended and i believe that is the best approach is to use your TDEE to set your calory goals. TDEE takes into account your activity level. Adjust your calorie goals in MFP to reflect that number and then you do not need to eat back your exercise calories, of course be honest about your activity level when calculating TDEE and adjust it and what you have entered in MFP if it changes

Goodluck
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I dont exercise anymore, i have a mobility disability but by following slimming world i am losing weight. Works for me
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ive been seeing this a lot on here lately that all u really need to do to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit?
    So does exercising just help u lose more faster or wat?
    I really hate the gym and I'm hoping one day I'll learn to love it but right now I'm in the gym 5-6 days a week burning atleast 800 calories, 700 is my daily goal, because I really need to lose a little over 100 lbs but my first goal is 50.
    Mfp suggested I eat 2000 somethin calories to lose 2lbs a week as a lightly active person but I'll never eat that many especially with all the exercise I'm doing. I can barely eat 1600 and I don't wanna go into starvation mode.

Exercise is good for you...really good for you, regardless of your weight control goals. But your weight control goals are largely a result of your energy (calorie) consumption. Exercise can help in this RE in that you can eat more and still accomplish the same goals. For example, without exercise if I wanted to lose about 1 Lb per week I could only eat around 1800 calories or so. Conversely, with my training regimen I can eat about 2300 - 2400 calories and accomplish that same goal.

Look at it this way...I can lose weight, maintain, or gain weight all the while sticking to my training regimen...the difference between these three outcomes isn't my exercise....there is no change in my exercise...the difference is my energy consumption.

• _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I have a polar ft7. I have noticed that my heart rate always matches the heart rate on whatever machine I'm working out on but the calories burned is always much higher on my watch.

Yea, it try to over estimte calories eaten and under estimate exercise calories...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ive been seeing this a lot on here lately that all u really need to do to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit?
    I really hate the gym and I'm hoping one day I'll learn to love it but right now I'm in the gym 5-6 days a week burning atleast 800 calories, 700 is my daily goal, because I really need to lose a little over 100 lbs but my first goal is 50.
    Mfp suggested I eat 2000 somethin calories to lose 2lbs a week as a lightly active person but I'll never eat that many especially with all the exercise I'm doing. I can barely eat 1600 and I don't wanna go into starvation mode.

Ashley different people have different views on nearly every question/statement you made. :)

Do get a handle around what RebelDiamond posted and get the math sorted out.

Most people based on posts on MFP would be better off to not to exercise to lose weight if they are in poor health at the time perhaps.

I was 75 pounds overweight and I started out and still mainly just walk a min of a quarter mile a day. 100% of the people that work out in gyms at some point will stop doing so and when that day comes if they were using exercise for weight control they are going to get fat if they do not quickly learn to control weight by their eating lifestyle.

Many people get hurt in gyms and the result can last a lifetime.

I am down 40 pounds but that has taken around a year from the start. For the past six months I have been studying hard to learn the science of lifetime weight loss and still have a ways to go. A lifetime game change can even take a few years to perfect. Best of luck and take your time until you grasp the science and math.
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do tend to tell myself that the 80/20 rule has to be followed. 80% diet, 20% exercise .. or I would never be motivated to go. I have been stalled for almost 2 months but with the gym I am noticing a huge change in my body shape. To me it's how you not only lose but keep the body informed it has to change when you are losing to tone up all the stuff that is going to be leftover. You don't want to do all that work with the food and not have the skin left over !
  • ashley92188
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everybody! I'm sorry I should've added that I'm 5"11 290lbs. Right now I'm doin strictly cardio at the gym. Treadmill for 40mins at speeds of 3-3.5 then I get on this exercise bike for 36mins. I'm measuring my calories burned with my polar hrm which always tells me after those 2 workouts I've burned no less than 800cals-1000cals but my goal is atleast 700 bc I'd like to burn 3500 a week since I've been told 3500 burned is 1lb. Mind u I just got back into the gym maybe a week or 2 ago.
    So it looks like I should be using the strength machines as well and stop being afraid to eat lol and eat my calories back or atleast some of them? I guess it's harder for me to consume them now bc I'm drinking water all day which is filling and I'm also eating more frequently throughout the day to keep my metabolism going. Eating small healthy meals every 2-3 hours as opposed to 2-3 big unhealthy meals that more than likely got me this way in the first place. I just started using my food scale and mfp. I may be off with measurements on a few items but for the most part I guess it's pretty accurate. Mfp also measures my daily steps atleast when I have my phone in hand which adds more calories burned daily.
    My first concern is getting back down to a healthy weight but I do want to look good when I get there. I wasn't always this big. I used to be about 150 in hs then in college is when I was 160-170 then idk I started gaining gaining and gaining all while in denial never thinking I'd ever hit 300lbs but here I am. My eating habits never changed nor did my exercise level which has always been pretty much non existent but I guess my metabolism did n that's y I'm the way I am now. The weight gain happened over a period of about 5-6 years started in about 2009. And now I'm ready to get back in shape. I'm 26 and this isn't good nor is it healthy. I wanna be able to run and jump again and just be active so I kno the gym will definitely help get me back into shape. I just have to get to the point where I enjoy going.

Hey there, I have similar stats to you. I'm also 5'11" and currently at 280 (started at 299). It sounds like I don't work out quite as much as you, but I do work out usually 4-5 days a week, around 30-45 minutes each time. My total calorie intake is usually around 1900-2000, but my NET (after factoring calories burned during exercise) usually comes to around 1600, which is the goal MFP gave me for losing 2lbs per week. If you're only eating 1600 TOTAL, you can definitely eat more and still lose weight! I've been consistently losing approx. 2lbs per week. Feel free to friend me if you want, since we have similar stats and sounds like we also have similar goals! Always love finding new tall girl friends :) Good luck to you!

Thanks! I actually just started exercising maybe within the last 2 weeks lol I'm def gonna add u!