Moderation when you don't live alone

Options

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Sounds strange, but we have "sides" of the fridge. If a food is on "his" side, it's his, I don't eat it. If a food is on "my" side he doesn't eat it. I tend to weigh things out and put them in tupperware so when I'm out of time and need a snack it takes minutes to put something together (I tend to get hangry A LOT, and need to plan for "attacks"). He knows that if I have taken the time to sort it out and it's on my side if he even takes a bite he's in trouble. I ask him EVERY week what he wants from the grocery store and if he doesn't tell me, he doesn't get anything and he just has to deal.

The system works. It's anal, but it works.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    divvy it up...
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. It was made very clear from the beginning don't mess with my food. I even have a "you messed with my food look!" I just say..."eat that at your own risk" :D
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'd hide it. I live in student accommodation and my flatmates constantly take anything from the fridge even if it's not theirs... so I've learnt to live off things that don't need refrigerating and can be kept in my room. Ceoverturf's idea of portioning it out beforehand seems like a good idea, too. :smile:
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We sort these things out when grocery shopping. "Are you going to eat any of this? Should I grab two packages?" Then it's not a criticism, just planning.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sounds strange, but we have "sides" of the fridge. If a food is on "his" side, it's his, I don't eat it. If a food is on "my" side he doesn't eat it. I tend to weigh things out and put them in tupperware so when I'm out of time and need a snack it takes minutes to put something together (I tend to get hangry A LOT, and need to plan for "attacks"). He knows that if I have taken the time to sort it out and it's on my side if he even takes a bite he's in trouble. I ask him EVERY week what he wants from the grocery store and if he doesn't tell me, he doesn't get anything and he just has to deal.

The system works. It's anal, but it works.

Interesting, I can see that word in your last sentence when I quote your post, lol.

I ask him every single time if he needs anything at the store (I'm a SAHM so I typically do the shopping alone when the kids are in school). He typically says no (which drives me nuts, by the way, because he never has any idea of what he wants for dinner either and I'm so sick of having to plan meals for all of us every night...). Then he'll go and eat my cheese (which I only got because it was on sale, and is probably not on sale anymore anyway).

I do have a cupboard with my stuff though (protein bars etc) so when my mom comes and brings more stuff, I'll probably hide half in there... just hard in the fridge (but I do like the idea about hiding it in old containers of stuff, lol). Sometimes I just forget to tell him though, and when I want the stuff, it's gone. Bleh.
  • vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my guy. He is 6' 3" and I am 5' 4" he works hard all day and I sit at a desk. Our calorie needs are way different so he plows through things and I feel like I am in a race to get any. I have had many a conversation with him and he finally is checking to see if I would like any of a certain item before it the remainder.
  • vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    *eating*
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    We just label or inform if it's something special. I am married to someone who is very proprietary about food - much more so than anyone in my family. I'm used to respecting boundaries now, but I had to get used to a system outside of the "first come first serve" sharing mentality I was raised with. This is one little quirk in an otherwise wonderful and generous person and I don't mind working around it.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    My birthday cake last year my stepson at the last piece and by piece I mean the last 1/4 of the cake, really it was a humongous piece. My hubs was sooo pissed, I was just a little miffed (secretly glad it wasnt' a temptation anymore, but shocked with his lack of common sense about manners) So now our rule is you never eat the last serving of something if you have already had some. This ensures I get at least one share.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh he'd leave 'some' if I asked... like half an ounce LOL.
    Well, then he's listening to you and respecting your wishes! You can't blame him because his idea of "some" isn't the same as yours :)
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Is it just your husband? If yes, time for a frank talk and some mild threatening. There are some things a woman can withhold from hubbsie if changes aren't made...
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Keep your special foods in your new storage container;
    0cf1182a-d9f6-4824-9390-f9b5a11c335e.jpg
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have always had this issue with my teenagers, I do have to hide and or mark what is mine and even then, they will still eat it sometimes. Because of them, I occasionally am a food hoarder lol
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When I was living at home, I would have to write my name on anything that I didn't want anyone else to eat. My dad was especially bad about eating my leftover food.

On a side note...why does MFP think that a_n_a_l is a bad word? It's a legitimate term. This next bit is copied and pasted from dictionary.com

adjective
    of, pertaining to, involving, or near the a n u s.
    Psychoanalysis.
    of or relating to the second stage of psychosexual development, during which gratification is derived from the retention or expulsion of feces.
    of or relating to an anal character.
    of or relating to gratification derived from stimulation of the a n u s.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm reading my own post right now! I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this issue. It's like..I want to have things in moderation and make them last, but if I do that they I barely get to have any :( and money is tight for us so I can't always go out and buy goodies. I wish I could stop being so greedy with my food but I've always been this way..

• DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    just break up
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I find the vegetable drawer to be a great hiding spot.

Or buy extra when you can. My son was disappointed I only bought one diet coffee drink the other day - tasted like crap so really he benefited from me not buying him one - but it wouldn't have been an issue if I just thought to buy an extra.
  • nellysen
    nellysen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

The mental framework I use is that there will always be future opportunities to consumer XYZ.
    I try to come at it from an abundance mentality as opposed to a scarcity mentality.

wow. I need to learn this. What fantastic advice. I have problems with my hubby devouring anything I leave in the fridge and I get so angry about it and like other posters have mentioned, that urge to eat it ALL before someone else helps themselves to it creeps in.