Nutrition needs to promote bone healing

Options
Had a high tibial osteotomy (realignment of leg by cutting bone and repositioning) about 6 months back which DR. said to allow 12 months for bone to heal. I just started MFP and wanted to know if anyone knows if trying to lose weight could be a detriment to bone healing. I am trying to make sure I eat the recommended protein and increase calcium. I am not being too restrictive, as I do eat all my exercise calories back. I don't have another appt. with Dr. until April, otherwise I'd ask him.

Replies

• trifitkitty13
    Options
    I would suggest calling your Dr and see if he has any thoughts on the matter. Otherwise, basic optimal nutrition with a focus on iron, calcium, protein and a wide variety of fresh veggies!
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D3 and magnesium is needed to help calcium absorption. When I broke my ankle, doc told me extra D3 and calcium.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you eat at maintenance calories until you are healed, and supplement with BCAAs as well as making sure you get plenty of protein.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    JossFit wrote: »
    I would recommend that you eat at maintenance calories until you are healed, and supplement with BCAAs as well as making sure you get plenty of protein.

Why BCAAs if they already said they're making sure to get plenty of protein? BCAAs are a supplement meant to fill in when diet is incomplete.

Most of the studies done on BCAAs had the athletes under eat protein while on severe calorie restriction. The BCAAs were simply filling in what they should have been eating for protein. If the OP is eating .8g/lb of lean body mass they would have zero need to supplement with BCAAs.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    All the above stuff is good. But bottom line, you want bones to be stronger: Calcium, zinc, magnesium, vit D3. Calcium because your bones are mostly calcium. Magnesium and Vit D3 because those are needed for your body to process calcium. Zinc because your body needs it to process magnesium, plus there's a good amount of zinc in your bones as well
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The big ones I was able to confirm were protein and vitamin C - and a crapload MORE calories. Post-op from cardiac surgery I needed to increase calories 60% just to stay even on weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Most of the time a doctor will recommend that you eat at maintenance or above in order to heal bones.
    Call the doc.
  • cammythom
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I added a vitamin D3 supplement and multi-vitamin. Having milk, yogurt and cheese every day plus eating veggies rich in calcium.
  • AMTaylor1980
    AMTaylor1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I consulted a person who practices herbal medicine when my foster dog had to have a bone graft for a bone sequester. (The bone along an old break died and wouldn't heal, so it had to be scraped out and packed with the donor bone from her hip to reconnect.) I gave her boron supplements, comfrey, and a liquid EFA supplement (for dogs, but same as fish oil). Vet said he'd never seen a dog recover that fast.