In need of place to exercise

Options
I have roommates that make fun of me when I work out. So I'm in need of a place or suggestions of a place to work out that is free. I'm in twin cities area in MN. I found this cool app called "Seven" in the Apple Store. It's a seven minute circuit work out for busy people. I really like it and need a place to be able to do it every day.

Replies

• CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I say forgot you crazy roommates and workout at home!!! Who cares what they say. You got a workout plan, stick to it, and don't worry about what they say.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Put on some trainers and go outside. All the space you need for free.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am in MN too. Work in Apple Valley, live about 40 minutes south of here. I have been on MFP for 3 years. At first I just began walking. That is definitely an option right now with not much snow. I walk a lot even in the winter. Got a fit bit, and that helps motivate. I use the gym at work too (free), but I broke down and got a gym membership last Friday, and have been using it every day.

Why don't you ask your room mates to do it with you? It is not very nice of them to make fun of you. Why do they do that? Maybe if you do it together you can help each other.

• mayflowers457
    mayflowers457 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How can I do a full body circuit work out outside?
  • mayflowers457
    Options
    Ok, so everyone thinks I don't have the will power to brush off the comments people say. This is embarrassing to admit, but in order for anyone to understand where I'm coming from...

My roommate is my dad. I live in his house and he is emotionally abusive mostly toward woman. I cannot move out till next fall/winter. His house is made cheap and when I even jump or walk hard the floor moves through out the house(hear dishes clink and things move).
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that you have an abusive parent. I admire your spirit for wanting to do this for yourself in spite of your father. Good for you! Do not let him deter you from your goal. You are worth the effort!
    Maybe your only option for now is to walk. When the weather improves in a few months, perhaps you can go to one of the lakes in Mpls and work out, at least when the weather is nice.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could also use some new roommates. But in the meantime, try a park. I don't know your area, but I often run in the park near me and do certain exercises there...park benches are great for things like tricep dips and step ups!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    You need a bench, a tree, and a sidewalk. Get cracking.
  • The0dora07
    The0dora07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dad..that's horrible. He should be encouraging you!!! I used to work out in my garage. I don't have a basement and I didn't have enough room in any of my living space to work out; I went to the local hardware store and bought a cheap area rug (the ones you put on your patio, approx $20), threw it down in my garage, set up my laptop with Insanity on it and off I went! I know a park can be scary especially at night, but that's not a bad idea.
    Also - if you can find a workout buddy, maybe you could workout and his/her house?!? just a thought..
    -
    Good luck!
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your living situation - I truly know the feeling. I hope you'll be able to have a smooth move-out this fall/winter, if not sooner.

For the time being, your best bets are going outside to walk, run, do exercises at a park, etc (I just spent a half hour trudging through 1 foot of snow. Great exercise!) or maybe a gym that you can afford at this time. If you're not able to move out until next winter, then it means you'll be in need of a workout location for about a year anyway. :smile:

Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that you have an abusive parent. I admire your spirit for wanting to do this for yourself in spite of your father. Good for you! Do not let him deter you from your goal. You are worth the effort!
    Maybe your only option for now is to walk. When the weather improves in a few months, perhaps you can go to one of the lakes in Mpls and work out, at least when the weather is nice.

Agree - I'm from Mpls as well (tho I don't live there anymore) - you can do walks in the snow to burn great calories, same for shoveling snow! If you have skates you could find a rink with free skate time maybe? Check meetup.com and maybe craigslist as well, see if there is anyone close by you in a similar situation or someone looking for a buddy. And get outta that house lol!

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Working out elsewhere sounds like a good idea. Especially in your case, but anyone can have rude housemates and there are no easy ways to deal with that social pressure.

Indoor makes sense, especially when it is precipitating. OK, the next question is your budget. Most indoor places have some sort of fee. Search for gyms and YMCAs near you. Planet Fitness is about the least expensive, sometimes $10/month but not always. Sometimes places (not PFitness) have sliding scales.

Other options, and you do not need to respond to any of them. They just might not work for you.
    - At your workplace. Sometimes I can find a quiet place and do a strength work without getting all sweaty
    - At a friend's house
    - community center
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    If you have nowhere else to go, walk laps in a shopping mall. Once the weather clears, start running/walking outside. Like nature, take up trail running. That will be a start until you can afford a cheap gym membership or get your own place.
  • mayflowers457
    Options

I plan on doing that when the weather gets nicer. I don't have much protection against the windchill so I can't do long walks till then. I did do 3 - 8 mile walks last summer/fall and pushed my 40lb kid the whole way.
  • mayflowers457
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Agree - I'm from Mpls as well (tho I don't live there anymore) - you can do walks in the snow to burn great calories, same for shoveling snow! If you have skates you could find a rink with free skate time maybe? Check meetup.com and maybe craigslist as well, see if there is anyone close by you in a similar situation or someone looking for a buddy. And get outta that house lol!

Right now we only have 2 inches or less of snow and that's just in the shady areas. I so badly want to ice skate but the ones I had didn't fit any more. Grrr. At least I kept the sparkly pink guards. Maybe later this winter I'll be able to get some free or used ones. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.