Telling people about my lifestyle change or no?

Options
isamargomez
isamargomez Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys,

So today while I was preparing my breakfast I was thinking to myself about the last time I had embarked on a lifestyle change. I did it in High school my senior year and pretty much didn't tell anyone, but I guess people could tell considering I brought healthy stuff for lunch. Whenever people asked me if I was on a diet, I would deny it and say that junk food made me sick, etc. basically any excuse to not let them know. The reason really was because I was sort of embarrassed to let people know. The thing is that I realized that not letting people know or calling it a diet, really helped. I found myself easily choosing healthy stuff over junk simply because I had to keep up with the notion that I was a "healthy" person to my peers and in turn I lost 30lbs in a few months and kept it off for a good while. I started my second try at becoming healthy about a week ago and I haven't told anyone either expect a friend who is doing the same. I want to share my progress on social media but I kind of don't want to at the same time.

So my question is, do you tell people about your lifestyle change and/or post on social media about it or just go about it like its something you normally do? do you find it easier to keep it yourself?

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I keep it pretty quiet except for those who are very close to me, or those who are genuinely curious for good reasons. It's one thing to share on a community like MFP, where everyone's in a similar boat and you'll get support, but I would consider not broadcasting on social media. Just my personal thoughts.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have not told anyone on social media simply because what if I don't post each time I lost weight. I don't want to explain that I didn't lose one week to the other or if I plateau. I agree with the previous person as it's find to share with MFP because we are all in the same boat. You can get all the support you need and no judgement.
    My family knows and a few select people at work but I only share if someone comments on how great I look and what am I doing. Then I just tell them, I'm watching what I eat, journaling and getting in some exercise. I don't usually go into specifics unless I know they really and truly are interested. (haven't had any takers on that end :) )
    I have told people and got great support but when I gained the weight back, I got a lot of people that wanted to know what happened.
    I find people sometimes are less than accepting when you give them what happened to your weight management plans.
    So I would share but only with people who really have your back and who understand and leave the rest of the world to just wonder - how your looking so fabulous!
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I answer when I am asked how I manage to lose weight. Half way through my explanation, people tell me that it's way too much effort *lol* That's when I usually say "Hey, you won't lose weight and become healthier by sitting around THINKING about lifestyle. I don't call it a diet because it IS a lifestyle change ... the hard part for people to accept is that it's not an "8-week thing and done". :stuck_out_tongue:

I don't advertise it on social media or something because I do not want to be seen as one of these people who brag about their achievements and want to show off that they are somehow superior to others who can't get it together. To each their own. If you'd rather take meds to lower your blood pressure, be my guest. But don't keep asking for advice and then complaining (or telling me that "next week, I'll go to the gym with you, because I REALLY need to get started").

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    My husband and kids know, obviously, but I don't advertise it. My mom knows, but only because she saw a recent picture of me on FB, and asked what I was doing. I keep it pretty quiet.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It's more fun to keep it a secret until people finally notice you lost a crap ton of weight ;)
  • sheebs11
    sheebs11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you want to deal with. Everyone seems to have an opinion about everything, helpful or otherwise. If that is something you want to hear then let people know, if not then carry on keeping it quiet :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's more fun to keep it a secret until people finally notice you lost a crap ton of weight ;)

This.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never seen much reason to discuss it with gen pop...they're not going to get it anyway. they can just look at me and wish and hope and dream...they think it's weird that I ride during my lunch break almost every day and then hit the weight room in the evening...which is why they can just continue to wish and hope and dream.

I only discuss such matters with my trainer, my wife, and a handful of my fitness group of friends.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So my question is, do you tell people about your lifestyle change and/or post on social media about it or just go about it like its something you normally do? do you find it easier to keep it yourself?

I haven't told anyone I know but the people I am living with. I don't really want online praise, judgement, input or support about my weight from the other people I know so there doesn't seem to be a point bringing it up. If people notice in person that I look smaller and ask about it I'll probably tell them what I've been doing.
    Internet strangers also trying to lose weight are enough support for me.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I told my wife, for obvious reasons, since she would observe me counting calories with the MFP app and website. Otherwise, I didn't tell anyone, IRL or on social media, unless they asked, which started to happen after I had dropped 25 pounds or so. On my one-year MFP anniversary, I posted to Facebook about having lost 47 pounds by counting calories on MFP.

The MFP community is good if you want support. Most other people really probably couldn't care about your efforts to lose weight. And while social media is often all about narcissism, posts about weight loss (or efforts to lose weight) often seem especially self-centered.
  • gillesse
    gillesse Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think it's better if you keep it to yourself. No need to mention to everyone, because people will always try and put you down once they know that you have a goal in mind. At least that's what I've experienced.

People on the internet who I don't know are the only people I tell, that's about it.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I feel I should have notified the ladies that work at my local donut shop so they could start looking for new jobs now that I don't spend a year's income there on crap.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't talk to anyone about it. If people ask how I lost the weight I just say eating less and healthier. In response, I usually get the glazed eye look lol because I can't tell them a magic weight loss pill helped. ...
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I told my husband and my friends that were already on MFP found out when I friended them. Friends, family, and coworkers started asking as I started losing weight. I generally try not to talk about running and weight loss excessively because I really don't want to hear their opinion on how I've done it, but I'll talk about it if they seem genuinely interested in it.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I keep it to myself (of course my husband knows cause we live together), but eventually if you stick with it long enough, people ARE going to start noticing and bring it up. I basically get bombarded now with questions every time I see extended family or certain friends who notice things. While these questions and compliments are nice, I do sometimes feel like I get cornered into talking about it and I'd rather just not be the center of the conversation. XD
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell a lot of people for a really long time, and then slowly kept coming out to more and more people. Especially when it became obvious that a) I was being weirdly meticulous about my food and b) I had lost weight.

Now it's totally open, and often a topic of discussion among friends who are doing similar things and have similar ideas about food.
  • taekwondogirl
    taekwondogirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've not made a status update about it, but I've left comments on other people talking about embarking on the journey as a means for encouragement. I've also talked one on one with people who I know will support me, and have been successful in their own endeavors.

I'm finding it very helpful to not have to worry about living up to what I've told people I'm doing; the reduction in pressure definitely keeps me less stressed and guilty about it, which helps me to continue it.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My family and closest friends knew. Otherwise, I only told people if they asked whether I was trying to lose weight and what I was doing when they noticed the weight loss.