Need Yoga Expert

Options
Gloww33
Gloww33 Posts: 12
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started doing yoga, beginning yoga. I was hydrated and went slow, took my time and felt like I did not overdo it. a I started feeling neausated and emotional during some of my poses....is this normal?

Replies

• ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert. I have taken beginner classes off and on for a couple of years. Yes, it's normal. The teachers will talk about the release of toxins, especially when doing twists and binds. Is this happening? I don't know. But, I will sometimes react as if it is! Be sure to drink plenty of water right after you completed your practice and throughout the day. That helps with physical reactions. The emotional ones needed to happen, so appreciate the release :wink:

As an aside, I'll usually get emotional when the poses are held for longer or when there are a lot of new students and the teacher takes their time getting everyone into the right position. So far, I've been able to hold it together until I get to the car!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Gloww33 wrote: »
    I just started doing yoga, beginning yoga. I was hydrated and went slow, took my time and felt like I did not overdo it. a I started feeling neausated and emotional during some of my poses....is this normal?

Yes, it's totally normal. I cried like a baby at my last class. Yoga is so personal - it's a pretty big release when you give yourself over to it.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert either, and I can't say much about the emotional side, as it has never happened to me. But you might have gotten nauseated because of nutrition. Besides being hydrated, I found that 2 hours before yoga eating a nice meal of carbs gives me just the right energy without weighing me down. This can be a bowl of oatmeal, or brown rice, etc.
  • Gloww33
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I thought I was going nuts.....I didn't realize how powerful yoga really was until now.....when you really connect with it and that was just a beginner 12 minute yoga session! I am staying hydrated.....glad I am not the only one that had that happen....
  • katekennedydance
    Options
    An empty stomach can definitely make me very nauseous if i workout...esp first thing in the morning. Also a meal of just fruit or juice or just coffee or tea (all of which are acidic) can also turn the stomach very sour when exercising. I advise a little oatmeal or whole grain crackers as well as the hydration.

Emotions in the muscles are very very real. Think how when we are stressed out our shoulders get tense, or when there's too much areguing your back starts aching, or how we clench our jaws when we are tense or grind our teeth at night, etc. Even though yoga will help u loosen the muscles & the emotions, it's pretty normal to feel a lot of the same emotions as you are letting the muscles lengthen.

I've also noticed that i can be overly competitive in yoga classes. I don't even notice i'm doing it, but sometimes i realize that i'm stretching sooooo darned far that i can't really breath fully & comfortably...& yoga can become very tense. It's a delicate balance, but i would suggest erring on the side of making sure u feel your breath is free & loose & deemphasize maximum flexibility--u aren't joining the circus as a contortionist, so best to get all that amazing oxygen in ur body & u will build amazing strength & the flexibility will come in time, but it will be a result,but it should never be the goal.

Hugs & enjoy. Let the tears fall. There's no shame in emotions.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    If I have drunk too much water right before yoga I feel a bit queasy. Some people say not to eat 1-2 hours before yoga.

Some people find certain poses, especially hip flexors to be huge emotional releases. Totally normal.
  • Gloww33
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!! I will do some more research to prepare for my next yoga session :) I found that last night I slept like a rock too. :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I feel that way after a good massage sometimes, my massage therapist says that it's chemicals trapped in the knots that get flushed back into the bloodstream. I'm with you though - don't know if I buy that but I do drink a lot of water and also sleep great on those nights.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Which poses? Backbends perhaps?