Need lunch ideas for vegetarian that works from her car

Options
I am a vegetarian and recently started a job where I have a territory and work from my car. I do not have access to a microwave. I am struggling for lunch ideas...any help would be appreciated. I am contemplating eating small snacks every 2 hours and not focusing so much on the concept of lunch. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wraps are a great thing to throw in a cooler and eat on the go.
    I personally love doing spinach and artichoke hummus with fresh spinach on a whole wheat wrap. Could jazz it up with some alfalfa sprouts or something too.
  • Firewhirrrl
    Firewhirrrl Posts: 144
    Options
    I travel daily, but not for work.
    I pack a full ice chest each day.

I also always have a super great trail mix ( home mixed)
    Also I always have dried fruit.

Ok so that's it for snacks.

To bring for lunch itself:

Tortillas with hummus and veggies.
    Coleslaw
    Eggs
    Water ( and a protien drink packet from health food store)
    Egg salad/ tofu salad sandwiches
    Apples/ fresh fruit

A salad
    Pasta salads
    Potatoes

..... And on and on.:)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If you eat yogurt, I suggest a 6 to 8 ounce serving of plain nonfat greek yogurt with fresh berries and about 1/6 cup of muesli with a drizzle of honey if you like. You could keep it all cool in an insulated bag and mix it up on the go!
  • Firewhirrrl
    Options
    Also: epicurious.com has a lot of vegetarian foods that are good cold.
    Just get a large cooler ( yes, I even use a full sized) and reusable refreezable ice packs. You will need large ones, they will last for over a day. Don't get small ice cubes sizes, they only last for an hour or two.

Lastly, soups can go into thermouses ( get a good one)
    And a car adapter can make your cigarette lighter turn into a regular plug outlet. Microwave is bad idea, but smaller appliances such as a small plug in for making hot water could also reheat cold soup. I also have a plug in expresso machine...
    :).

It can be so easily done. Actually, there are car microwaves. Try searching online.:)
  • GeorgiaSlover
    Options
    I eat cold veggie soup from a can. haha I think it's yummy but you may not.... :P
  • pinkchick2006
    pinkchick2006 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check out cleaneating. com! She has whole menus that are put in a cooler!! I dont think they are vegitarian but you could sub out some of the meat for other forms of protein and still get the same weight loss!
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I work out of a truck all day in a rural area and have learned to love cold chili, soup, etc.. Our vehicles dont have lighter
    outlets so I either have to ask a customer if I can use their micro or eat it cold.
    I pack a bunch of veggies and cut up fruit in zip lock bags and also bring an un-assembled sandwich. In the summer I freeze half a big plastic bottle and fill the rest with water or tea, this keeps everything chilled most of the day and I have cool liquids handy.
    It kind of sucks but its do-able.
    My problem is finding bathrooms!!
    Good luck!
    Dona
  • Firewhirrrl
    Options
    Dona:
    Sorry, but I find your Plight wonderful and funny.

Great idea with freezing your water.
    And I also live rural, so it's a wonderful thing with people being nice as they are..

Sorry bout the lack of a lighter.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hmm, what about:

Couscous, chickpeas, raw veg and lemon juice
    Hommus with wholegrain crackers e.g. ryvita
    Tofu salad
    Baked beans and a bread roll
    Boiled egg and tomato baguette
    Rice and bean salad
    Bagel with peanut butter

Just a few thoughts :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you want to carry around with you. You could get a personal cooler and pack that. Also check out bento making sites. Don't worry about the cuteness factor, they are really good at suggestions for food on the go. Think also about what things could be frozen that will be thawed by lunch. A few I recall are: grapes & yogurts. Also wraps are always on the go food. You can put any type of food you like: roasted peppers, lettuces/greens, mushrooms, quinoa salad, tomatoes, etc.... any type of sandwich making. Also keep ziplocks of almonds and juice box size coconut water which also freezes well and will thaw throughout the day.
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    Invest in a thermos- you can basically eat your dinner leftovers and they will stay hot for HOURS.
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I **LOVE** cold quesadillas with salsa. You could make yours with soy cheese
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would have a big breakfast, take a bag of fruit with me in the car, and have a big meal in the evening.
  • mommymovingmountains
    mommymovingmountains Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite sandwiches is hummus and roasted red peppers (packed in water in jar) in a whole wheat pita