GRRRRR...... Still hungry!

Options
So I'm back doing the primal thing and I'm not sure why I still feeling hungry after eating, what I think, is a reasonable amount. Breakfast of black coffee, half a grapefruit, handful of blue berries, two slices of bacon, an egg, I drive to base, workoutand head into work with a handful of pistachios. Lots of water consumption during this time period. Lunch is a HUGE baby romaine salad with sunflower seeds, mushrooms and lite greek dressing, macadamia nut crusted tilapia, steamed zucchini and brussel sprouts with lemon juice and cracked pepper. it is now 4pm and I woke up at 5am. Is this not enough? I am very ready for dinner. Any thoughts?

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a light caloric intake. Up it a couple hundred per day and see how you feel.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,744 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just put all that into a test recipe with generous portions, and you're coming in at about 1250 calories (assuming all you drink is water). That's way too low for a dude your age who works out. No wonder you're hungry! Eat more. :) You can probably fit in a decent dinner and still be at a deficit. We might be able to get you in a ballpark with TDEE and deficit if you provide your height and weight.
  • lamarken
    Options
    You also need to eat some snacks. Break your meals up into six small meals a day. Why are you eating everything during breakfast. Spread that protein out among the day. That's why your hungry.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.
  • russ8780
    Options
    I just put all that into a test recipe with generous portions, and you're coming in at about 1250 calories (assuming all you drink is water). That's way too low for a dude your age who works out. No wonder you're hungry! Eat more. :) You can probably fit in a decent dinner and still be at a deficit. We might be able to get you in a ballpark with TDEE and deficit if you provide your height and weight.

Good to know. and what is TDEE?
  • russ8780
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    Sounds like a light caloric intake. Up it a couple hundred per day and see how you feel.

I'll still lose the weight?
  • russ8780
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

My only issue would be the sleep. Uncle Sam doesn't afford me a set sleep schedule and neither does my beautiful daughter. I can never (not right now) guarantee a large chunk every night for sleep.
  • russ8780
    Options
    lamarken wrote: »
    You also need to eat some snacks. Break your meals up into six small meals a day. Why are you eating everything during breakfast. Spread that protein out among the day. That's why your hungry.

I feel like I snack. Handful of seeds or almonds or some baby carrots. When I'm not driving, working out, or sleeping, I'm eating something. I would love to spread the protein out more throughout the day, but my schedule won't allow me. Thank you all for the responses.
  • sewan86
    sewan86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm no nutritionist but like someone else said maybe a couple of snacks and also more fibre, it keeps u feeling fuller for longer along with other health benefits of course
  • jigriffith814
    jigriffith814 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found that more water and fibre can help make you feel fuller. Also, nuts and fresh veggies are great to snack on. Just watch the dressings and salts.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i thought the point of primal/paleo was not to count calories?
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    More fibre and protein!!
  • russ8780
    Options
    where would I find this fiber? I'm eating veggies to the point where I have to force them down. I'm not a huge fan of Metamucil. Beans I hear are in the indulgences category. a "supplemental carb, unnecessary and possibly counter-productive to health and weight management." (The Primal Blueprint. Mark Sisson. 2009. pg.289)