Eating right and exercising... But very tired

Options
cerilekara
cerilekara Posts: 9 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys! I've been eating healthy and exercising daily... Yesterday, I even got all the calories I'm supposed to eat in, with exception of the exercise calories. However, I'm exhausted all the time. What am I doing wrong? I thought exercising and getting good stuff in me would give me more energy... But I can't wait till bed time. I'm only 35!!!! I don't even have any children to blame this on... Lol. I do work long hours, but it's not strenuous work. Advice Welcome!

Replies

• lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    it gets better..... I get up before 5AM every weekday to work out..... I am happy to see my 10pm bedtime every day... but feel pretty energized all day long....
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    ditto! same problem here. following...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie intake like? And what is your goal for weight loss? If you're aiming for a 2 pound loss, you could adjust to 1.5, get 250 more calories a day. Being fatigued all the time could mean you're not getting enough nutrition, or could be a vitamin deficiency or something medical. Or it might just mean you need to improve your sleep habits. Many possibilities.
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Apparently beetroot is an energiser! Watched a TV programme a few weeks ago where they tested a girl on a treadmill & she could go further for longer after the beetroot juice!
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way - so tired and freezing cold all the time.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Checking in with your physician would not be a bad idea... You say you don't have children--any chance you could be pregnant? Also, there are lots of hormonal imbalances that strike women of childbearing years--thyroid probably being one of the foremost. Also--it is that time of the year that many people struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cerilekara wrote: »
    Hey guys! I've been eating healthy and exercising daily... Yesterday, I even got all the calories I'm supposed to eat in, with exception of the exercise calories. However, I'm exhausted all the time. What am I doing wrong? I thought exercising and getting good stuff in me would give me more energy... But I can't wait till bed time. I'm only 35!!!! I don't even have any children to blame this on... Lol. I do work long hours, but it's not strenuous work. Advice Welcome!

well, to me it sounds like you're eating to your sedentary (or otherwise non-exercise) calorie goal to lose weight and then exercising on top of that...so yeah, that'll do it. Hmmm...I wonder why MFP gives you those calories after you log exercise? Hmmmm.....

Hint, you're supposed to eat them (adjusted for estimation errors). You're doing more activity, hence you have to fuel that activity.
  • God4All
    Options
    I just started this program so i'm very new to this, I was really fatigued and it turned out that my vitamin D was really low.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I even got all the calories I'm supposed to eat in, with exception of the exercise calories.
    So, what happened every day before yesterday? You've been way under your base calorie goal, haven't you? You're supposed to eat all of your base calories PLUS a portion of your exercise calories (most people do 50-75%, because MFP tends to estimate exercise calories a little high). If you've been undereating, no wonder you're tired.

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    If anyone ever asked me to name the most important thing for success, I would say “weighing food”; properly tracking and logging. It’s calories-in and calories-out (burned).

As one Mayo Clinic article put it:

“Despite all the diet strategies out there, weight management still comes down to the calories you take in versus those you burn off. Fad diets may promise you that avoiding carbs or eating a mountain of grapefruit is the secret to weight loss, but it's really all about calories.”

I get my workout in early, eat healthy and rarely (if ever) feel starved in any way. As someone else mentioned, more information is needed re: calories, tracking, goals etc .

Add if you like…

73641431.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Yesterday, I even got all the calories I'm supposed to eat in, with exception of the exercise calories.
    So, what happened every day before yesterday? You've been way under your base calorie goal, haven't you? You're supposed to eat all of your base calories PLUS a portion of your exercise calories (most people do 50-75%, because MFP tends to estimate exercise calories a little high). If you've been undereating, no wonder you're tired.

belaboring this point considering only three of us have brought it up....this is very likely the issue; you aren't eating enough. Eating healthfully means not only eating quality foods...but eating foods in the appropriate quantities.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I set my goal to -2lbs/wk and it set me to 1500 calories. Once I researched TDEE and understood what I should be eating, then I bumped my calories up 300. I felt an immediate upswing in my energy levels throughout the day.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    God4All wrote: »
    I just started this program so i'm very new to this, I was really fatigued and it turned out that my vitamin D was really low.
    It was the same for me. I know that opinions differ on whether vitamin D makes a huge difference and whether supplements are a good idea, but adding them helped me to pull out of that state of constant exhaustion. I think though you need to keep a bunch of other stuff in mind (are you getting enough good sleep?) and also if you could be depressed (that was my problem, and occasionally that still hits me).
  • McCrabby
    McCrabby Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm with the vitamin D suggestion, as well as B12. Tracking my macros has helped me to see patterns with sluggish days and low protein or fat. It's not for everyone though... Just throwing ideas out there.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I eat enough, exercise plenty, and sleep plenty. I am always tired. But i have a thyroid disease. Could be worth checking for....
    like others said, make sure you are eating enough. I know i've lost weight in the past many times by eating too little, and i was tired and miserable all the time. Maybe try upping your cals and see if that helps. I can totally relate though!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    maybe evaluate your eating plan. i went from eating 5 meals a day to 3 meals. lunch, small snack & dinner while aiming to stay within my weekly calorie/macro intake. skipping breakfast has been my key to not feeling crabby at work in the morning and/or nodding off at my desk around 3pm then later not feeling completely exhausted when i get home after my workout. AND, there is nothing wrong with going to bed early. if you are getting 8 hours of sleep every night that is awesome.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

That's where you're going wrong. You're clearly not eating enough if you a) dont' even usually meet your NET goal, and b) you aren't then meeting your exercise calorie goal. Especially with over 100lbs to lose I'm betting you chose 2lbs/week and are sitting at 1200 cals a day, am I right? So that means you are basically almost never netting your 1200 calorie goal. Even with errors in logging you'd likely still not be eating so much more that it'd be enough to sustain your body properly trhoughout this weight loss.

In the very slight chance it's NOT related to under-eating, can you open up your diary (make it public) so we can see if maybe your macros are not ideal and thus resulting in tiredness? The food you eat makes no difference to weight loss, its' all about calorie balances.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I eat enough, exercise plenty, and sleep plenty. I am always tired. But i have a thyroid disease. Could be worth checking for....
    like others said, make sure you are eating enough. I know i've lost weight in the past many times by eating too little, and i was tired and miserable all the time. Maybe try upping your cals and see if that helps. I can totally relate though!

I doubt it's a medical issue, otherwise I'm sure she would have said "I've also been tired like this before I started dieting."
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I get tired too...but in a good way. Like I can actually fall asleep at night because I'm moving my butt more.

Oh and eat your dang exercise calories back.
  • ana3067
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I get tired too...but in a good way. Like I can actually fall asleep at night because I'm moving my butt more.

Oh and eat your dang exercise calories back.

This does not happen to me. Legit takes me up to an hour to fall asleep :( But I think part of my issue is with not going to bed early enough on a consistent basis!