How to cook healthy for the Super Bowl?!?

Options
HELP - we are having a house full of people for the Super Bowl tomorrow - how can I make the staples (pizza, wings, nachos, etc.) to satisfy the crowd while still keeping it healthy? Looking for any and all suggestions. GO PATS!!

Replies

• Hardenton
    Hardenton Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Don't keep it healthy... just eat in moderation or zig zag your calories
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If you find a healthy low cal wings recipe send me a message lol.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Very simple, replace full fat ingredients by skimmed, replace all oils and butter by olive oil, white flour with corn or brown flour, minimize sauces as much as possible and let your guests to add it during serving (not during cooking). Try to bake without flour and egg; instead use bran. If it is possible; try to replace deep frying by roasting or flame grilling. Make serving size small (for example cut pizza pie to 12 pieces instead of 6 or 8) so you can consume little. Hope I could help a little.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Very simple, replace full fat ingredients by skimmed, replace all oils and butter by olive oil, white flour with corn or brown flour, minimize sauces as much as possible and let your guests to add it during serving (not during cooking). Try to bake without flour and egg; instead use bran. If it is possible; try to replace deep frying by roasting or flame grilling. Make serving size small (for example cut pizza pie to 12 pieces instead of 6 or 8) so you can consume little. Hope I could help a little.

Nice!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Don't do this to your guests. :noway:
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Buffalo chicken dip is fantastic and easily can be made lowfat, serve up crackers and veggies to dip with. Make a batch of meatballs, sausage and turkey pepperoni with spaghetti sauce or a nice pot of chili. Add spice, making deviled eggs, turn up the heat with chili powder. Making creamy dips, substitute plain nonfat greek yogurt for sour cream.
    Don't be afraid to gently switch it up, keep the fan favorites and add some new items. Make it a challenge to yourself or put your team in the mix and only eat certain items for a touchdown or interception of a sack. Put some fun into it and most of all have a blast!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

I've gotta say, replacing all oils and butter with olive oil will still give you a high cal fat source and can hurt your recipe. Olive oil has a low smoke point when compared to other cooking oils and sometimes that's the difference between tasty food and "eww, what's that burned taste?"

Baking substituting anything will alter the taste and texture of your food. Sometimes a little, sometimes significantly. Some recipes can take a substitution of ground flax seed for vegetable oil and still be good. But the more you change, the more will change. Cut too much, substitute too much, and you'll just wish you had a smaller amount of the real thing.

For good game day recipes, I'd try the sausage stuffed balsamic mushrooms off of this page. They. Are. Amazing.

And as for "healthy" wings--they probably don't exist. But here's a really good wing recipe, and it calls for you to render a lot of fat out of the wings so they'll be crispy. Removing the fat so something will taste better is a magical thing.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Salsa! Make fresh salsa.. only 43 calories a cup. -- 8 cups diced fresh tomatoes, 6 cups fresh diced onions (white is best but I'm usually on the cheap and use yellow), 2 ounces cored diced jalapeno pepper (put in food processor), 2 ounces diced cilantro (put in food processor with jalapeno), 1 cup apple cider vinegar (put about 1/4 cup in food processor so everything mixes good), 1 tablespoon granulated garlic, 1/4 tsp black pepper, SALT TO TASTE. This will probably be more than a tablespoon. Mix the jalapeno, cilantro, and part of the apple cider vinegar in the food processor until the pieces are very small then add them to the bowl of tomato and onion. Only 45 calories a cup. Weigh out some tortilla chips and just snack on those slowly. -- This is always a winner :)