Average calories per meal?

Options
I was just wondering is there like an average amount of calories per meal? Like I'm not sure if I'm eating too much at some meals and not enough at others. Also what meal should have the highest calories and which should have the lowest?

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make any difference to your body or weightloss.

The only difference it would make would be to how you feel, do what you prefer and makes you happiest.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    What is your current calorie goal?
  • olinbp
    olinbp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1,470
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on you. Some people like to have big breakfasts and lunches and just snack at dinner. Others prefer to save more of their calories for their evening meal. Still others prefer to have multiple smaller meals throughout the day.

They're your calories. You can spend them any which way you like. You just can't spend more of them than you have.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter...the bottom line is the bottom line, period. for example, I usually have a smaller breakfast and a big salad and some chicken or something for lunch...but I like to eat big at dinner...it really doesn't matter though, what matters is that I'm hitting my calorie goals...the BOTTOM LINE.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    olinbp wrote: »
    I was just wondering is there like an average amount of calories per meal? Like I'm not sure if I'm eating too much at some meals and not enough at others. Also what meal should have the highest calories and which should have the lowest?

For weight loss, it doesn't matter. I generally go with what's for dinner and decide what to eat for my second meal and snack after that--if it's chicken and veggies there's room for a 600-calorie second meal, if it's a hamburger it's 300 calories for my second meal.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    olinbp wrote: »

My meals vary in the amount of calories. I usually eat a smaller breakfast because I am not super hungry in the morning. Dinner has more calories.

It doesn't matter as long as it works for you and fits your goal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    No it depends on you ...you can eat them all in one meal or just graze if you prefer

Personally I tend to have 200 for breakfast, 400 for lunch and dinner and the rest in snackage
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yep like the others said - totally up to you.

Generally I eat a moderate breakfast, a small lunch and eat most of my calories in the evening. But there's nothing magical about that, just personal preference.
  • SoLiveItUp
    SoLiveItUp Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have 700 for lunch and 600 for dinner and leave out breakfast because I'm not hungry for it and rather fast a couple more hours, whatever fits
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter...the bottom line is the bottom line, period. for example, I usually have a smaller breakfast and a big salad and some chicken or something for lunch...but I like to eat big at dinner...it really doesn't matter though, what matters is that I'm hitting my calorie goals...the BOTTOM LINE.

+1
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    400-800 calories. Because that's how much I naturally eat for a given meal right now. I also usually eat most of my calories in the evening, not on purpose. I just happen to grab food for my first two meals that result in having up to half of my calories left for the evening.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    on AVERAGE i probably have 200 for breakfast (im not a big breakfast person but was advised to eat something to wake up my body), 400 for lunch and 500 for dinner and the rest in snacks (3 a day). thats just an average though.... if i know we are eating out for one of our meals, i will skimp on my calories for the rest of the day so I don't worry too much about going over while out.
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said it's really up to you, I'm not a big morning eater. I drink a cup of coffee and eat a granola bar (about 150 calories). Then about a 200-350 lunch and save the rest for dinner and snacks. When I do snack I try my best to make sure it's a vegetable or a fruit, or a small piece of cheese. Baybels are my weakness!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, it's all up to you and what you like.

I personally eat about 250-350 for breakfast, 450-650 for lunch and 500-800 for dinner and fill the rest of my day with snacks and dessert.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My goal is 2000 for a pound a week I eat a light breakfast maybe 300 calories. . About 300 to 4pm in snacks and 400 to 600 for lunch and dinner
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I try to eat between 400-600 for each meal. I always eat breakfast and don't really care for snacks unless it is nighttime chocolate. I try to spread out my calorie intake across the day to keep my body fueled.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with everybody, it's totally up to your preference. I usually eat my breakfast later in the day, otherwise I get hungry and run out of calories before the end of the day. My breakfast is high in calories too, about 400-600cals. I almost always eat 2 eggs and 2-3 slices of bacon everyday, it keeps me full for a long time. I try and have 2-3 meals and 1-2 snacks. I prefer to eat less meals with more calories because I feel more satisfied that way. It's all about finding what works for you! Find what works and stick to it. Good luck ♥

Ps. I aim for 1200cals per day. Usually varies from 1100-1400cals.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It.

Doesn't.

Matter.

At.

All.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Totally depends on you. Some people like to have big breakfasts and lunches and just snack at dinner. Others prefer to save more of their calories for their evening meal. Still others prefer to have multiple smaller meals throughout the day.

They're your calories. You can spend them any which way you like. You just can't spend more of them than you have.

Exactly!

I am different than many people. I try to keep my breakfast calorie count low and then work up from there -- of course low calorie does not need to mean poor nutrition or hunger. This was today's breakfast:

20150131_091346_breakfast%20blank_zpsrdwn6hvh.jpg

73641431.png