Diatomaceous Earth???

Options
I have been reading alot of good things about taking DE, such as lower cholesteral and blood pressure, increased energy, reduced appetite, etc. Has anyone here tried it?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    To eat? We use this stuff in our pool filter. There are no short cuts to losing weight. Eat in a deficit and you'll be good :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tumblr_n9wi6r8rX71trt3p3o1_400.gif
    nope
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    It's glass. You're eating glass. No, I don't recommend it.
  • GavyJoe
    GavyJoe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Theres the pool filter kind and a "food grade" kind. Lol. Reading all the testimonials had me wondering if it was legit.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    GavyJoe wrote: »
    Theres the pool filter kind and a "food grade" kind. Lol. Reading all the testimonials had me wondering if it was legit.
    Food grade is recommended to get rid of ants and bed bugs in the home.
    No, dude. Don't eat.
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This can be used to kill spiders that try to come into your house as well...

But hey, if you want to eat dirt, go for it. I'd caution you to make sure your sources are ones you actually trust.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Wth is wrong with people?
  • P0PTART
    P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It kills cats when used as flea preventative (don't know what moron came up with this idea). And that is food grade. Just because it might be labeled food grade, doesn't mean it's safe to consume.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    disbelief.gif
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    original.gif
  • GavyJoe
    Options
    Lol.. Just info from a few websites I read.. Im not saying Im eating it. I do have some DE for spiders and ants in my house, I got curious and had to ask. :|
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    What, the stuff you use to get rid of FLEAS????

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot....
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    These are Diatoms:
    Wiki_Diatoms21-1024x673.jpg

Diatomacous Earth is the product of billions of these little guys dying and depositing their silica shells on the ocean floor. Diatoms are found in pretty much every body of water known. I can almost promise you, there are living diatoms in the water coming out of your tap right now. Adding more of their dead shells to the ones you are already ingesting is not likely to have any measurable effect.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    That stuff you see on the net is for desperate people who think that weight loss is impossible.
  • ricecake4life
    ricecake4life Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's definitely trendy right now and there are dozens of sites devoted to how awesome it is, but no. If you want to reduce cholesterol there are plenty of scientifically proven ways to accomplish that. As for reducing appetite and increasing energy... so does speed but we all know better, right?
  • Quix82
    Quix82 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    We use it to make animal feed at work.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    You know what else lowers blood pressure and reduces appetite? Hemlock. But the side effects are killer. I suggest sticking to a calorie deficit, exercise, and sensible eating.
  • GavyJoe
    Options
    Thats what I thought. I bought some for the colony of ants and spiders in my housr. I later noticcef the same websites they sell it for animal feed and killing pests.. they also list all the benefits of people eating it.. so yeah.. was wondering wtf that was about.
  • GavyJoe
    Options
    Again, Im not saying Im eating it!! Lol.. Just wondering if anyone else did. Haha
  • scudsmom
    scudsmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    DE is found naturally in foods that we eat and the food grade is edible. My husband and I have taken it before. I couldn't tell a difference between taking it and not taking it but I probably didn't give it enough time. It wasn't the most pleasant thing to consume.