Girls and good arms

Options
I don't have fat arms by any standards but I'm a softball player and I have almost no upper body muscle. Prom is coming up in mid-April and I have my gym membership until March 14th (had to stop because of $$) What are the best machines to use to tone arms? Or just exercises in general. I go to the gym and I feel like I'm just embarrassing myself because all I know to do is the arm bicycle and basic things like curls with 10-pounders. Also, what foods will help me to tone? Thanks guys!

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How do you play softball and have no upper body muscle? Aren't you throwing balls and swinging bats and stuff? I imagine you'd be more

texas.jpg

Then totally weak armed?

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    push and pull

bench
    push ups
    over head press
    pull ups
    barbell rows
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I think what she means is she can't see the muscle because of the fat layer that's covering it. She wants look more "toned" for the prom.

OP - Exercises don't target fat. For more on that, Google "spot reduction myth". Your only option is to reduce overall body fat. The standard plan for that is eating the right number of calories, plus doing full-body strength training to maintain a high metabolism. Good strength programs include Stronglifts (free) and NROL (library?).
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I think what she means is she can't see the muscle because of the fat layer that's covering it. She wants look more "toned" for the prom.

OP - Exercises don't target fat. For more on that, Google "spot reduction myth". Your only option is to reduce overall body fat. The standard plan for that is eating the right number of calories, plus doing full-body strength training to maintain a high metabolism. Good strength programs include Stronglifts (free) and NROL (library?).

This makes more sense. I thought maybe that's what she meant but she stressed that it isn't a 'fat arm' issue (though of course there is a lot of difference between fat arms and 'body fat a touch too high to see muscle') and I like to assume people know what they're talking about with their own bodies (which is probably madness on my part.)

But basically what you said make sense. So I retract my earlier question and instead submit: Eat less, move more, lift your iron as needed.
  • abbymae14
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    How do you play softball and have no upper body muscle? Aren't you throwing balls and swinging bats and stuff? I imagine you'd be more

texas.jpg

Then totally weak armed?

This is me, it's the off season. The girls in those pics are probably college level or on professional travel teams. They're forced to work out. I play for in-town. These are my arms:
    6ut6fpj2s4ex.jpg

Thanks for your guys' help, I've been eating clean for 2 months and been going to the gym every 2 days for 3 weeks, I've dropped 8 1/2 lbs! Thanks again.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Go Aggies! My wife has an MS in geospatial engineering from A&M and she has great arms. Push-ups, pull-ups, bench presses, dumbbell rows, dumbbell kick backs and front and lateral dumbbell raises. Emphasize the triceps and deltoids more than the curls. Curls are best done in a bar.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    abbymae14 wrote: »
    I go to the gym and I feel like I'm just embarrassing myself because all I know to do is the arm bicycle and basic things like curls with 10-pounders. Also, what foods will help me to tone? Thanks guys!
    1. No need to be embarrassed
    2. Eat at a moderate deficit
    3. Good strength program such as Stronglifts (google), NROL or calisthenic (youtube convict conditioning, if budget is an issue)
    4. bunbunzee44
      bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
      Options
      Push ups definitely :)
    5. JoRocka
      JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
      Options
      They're forced to work out. I play for in-town.

because they want to compete on a team... part of that means they work hard for what they do so they can be competitive- their level of training isn't dictated by what level they are working- their level of training is dictated by how effing good they want to be.

You want to look like that- then train at that level- you don't train at "in town level".

Never. Ever. train at the level you work on- you train at the highest level you can.

You want to be better- you gotta go out of your way for it. I'd say I have more mass than they do and I don't do ANY professional anything (well. I am a professional dancer- but my arms are not from dancing)- it's from me training like a powerlifter. Getting in teh gym and getting it done.

Get on a lifting program and lift your a## off.