Swimming for Exercise - Anyone doing it?

Options
I don't enjoy traditional exercise classes, etc. and, due to back and knee issues, find them difficult to tolerate. However, I have found aquatic classes and swimming enjoyable. Anyone else in the water? How do you mix up your workouts to keep it fresh and reduce the threat of boredom?
~ Debbie

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Oh, me! Me! Me! Me!

I am a Swimmer. However, I am a distance swimmer, so I am kind boredom tolerant. *grin* Actually, that's my time to get some good thinking in.

Because I do train to specific events, I do use intervals, specific technique drills, and frequent tests of speed and endurance to get me ready for my events. That's enough to keep me interested to get into the water.

But lap swimming ultimately does have a least a little bit of a hamster wheel feel if you don't give your brain something to chew on while you're staring at that black line.
  • missjacki
    Options
    I swim laps in the pool as part of my triathlon training.

I honestly kind of dread it because it is monotonous; but it is nice that it is low impact on my joints it kind of serves as a "rest day" from my other workouts...

I do some laps with a kickboard and some laps with hand paddles, some laps with fins and some with a pull buoy just to kind of change it up but swimming "plain old laps" with no fancy equipment besides goggles is the most useful to my goals and also the best workout.
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! I've just finished swim lessons with the plan to swim laps for exercise. While I could "swim," I took the lessons to learn the breathing part for freestyle and also how to properly do breaststroke. While my endurance isn't there yet - I just can't seem to swim a full lap uninterrupted and need more practice with the breathing, I foresee swimming working for me - it's not hurting my joints. I've seen some swimmers at the fitness center wearing ear buds (I presume listening to music), using snorkels and some with fins. I like the idea of using kick board and others to change it up as I'm working on my endurance. My real goal with the swimming for exercise is to get to the point I can swim with ease, lap after lap, as I see so many do - many of whom are older than me!

Thanks again for your responses and suggestions. Wish me luck!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Side note: kickboards are also great to give your arms a break while still moving around in the water. Fins give your legs extra power and will make you feel superdolphinfast.

Pull buoys, however, make it so you are only using your arms. They are tools of the devil.

I beat off boredom with interval sets, different strokes (I am a former club swimmer), and dividing my workout into different lengths (8x100, 4x200, and so forth). For when I pool run instead of swim, I have a waterproof MP3 player, because there is no physical activity more heinously boring than pool running.
  • sugarpeas
    sugarpeas Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and get a gym session in tomorrow on Wednesday! Trying something new
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    turtle0022 wrote: »
    Thanks, ladies! I've just finished swim lessons with the plan to swim laps for exercise. While I could "swim," I took the lessons to learn the breathing part for freestyle and also how to properly do breaststroke. While my endurance isn't there yet - I just can't seem to swim a full lap uninterrupted and need more practice with the breathing, I foresee swimming working for me - it's not hurting my joints. I've seen some swimmers at the fitness center wearing ear buds (I presume listening to music), using snorkels and some with fins. I like the idea of using kick board and others to change it up as I'm working on my endurance. My real goal with the swimming for exercise is to get to the point I can swim with ease, lap after lap, as I see so many do - many of whom are older than me!

Thanks again for your responses and suggestions. Wish me luck!

Practicing the drills you're given in your swim lessons will totally get you there.

Believe it or not, that lap after lap swimming is more about technique than endurance. I mean, don't get me wrong, you get the endurance, too. But if you're out of breath swimming a lap freestyle, it's totally technique right now.

I say this because I FREAK OUT runners who hit the pool to rehab landlubber injuries. (I'm one of those people who keeps going and going until people start looking at you funny in the locker room) They can't keep up with me and they don't get it. I had someone call me a freak of nature (I'm about a size 20 an I'm 5'2", so pretty heavy) when he couldn't keep up.

I had to explain that in terms of cardiovascular fitness, he probably had it over me. But swimming is so very technique based, it's pretty much like trying to run on a balance beam while doing the Twist. Until you have that down, you're going to be out of breath just trying to keep balanced.

• troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I swim when my body is sore from the regular routine and I feel the need to mix things up a bit. Also after a good soak in the hot tube followed by sauna helps as well. If you find swimming enjoyable and the other exercises trouble your back and knee, then by all means swim and do your aquatic exercises. The benefits will far outweigh not doing anything at all or trying to do an exercise that inflames an existing problem.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I swim in Florida in the summer in a pool and in the gulf and I feel like it's a total body workout! I live it!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I took up swimming around 10 years ago at the age of 39 after a foot injury. I just swam laps for years but our YMCA started a Masters Swim group two years ago. Master by age, not by skill! It's great because of the comradarie and that somebody else sets your workout for you. It makes it a bit easier to get up a 5am. It's also helped with my technique. We have all sorts of people swimming. Some who swam as kids and even up to college. Some triathletes. A few like me, slow but steady and not interested or able to run. You can join USMS even if you aren't in a club and get some workouts from their site. It's $40 a year and they have a great bimonthly magazine. It's USMS.org. No matter how you do it, I just think swimming is great!
  • turtle0022
    Options
    Thanks y'all. My instructor said I have the moves and technique down and I just need to relax in the water - that my arms and shoulders are too tense, causing me to work harder than necessary. I know she's right as I've seen/felt the difference. I'm so anxious to swim those laps! I know it will come as it's only been 3 weeks or so at this point. Not giving up - swimming will be my thing!!

I truly appreciate ALL the input and suggestions. Gives me more confidence. Thanks!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

But swimming is so very technique based, it's pretty much like trying to run on a balance beam while doing the Twist. Until you have that down, you're going to be out of breath just trying to keep balanced.

See, for me, it's as easy as walking and MUCH easier than running. I've been doing it my whole life. I'm only about 20 pounds overweight at this point, but I am old. Young, buff guys are always trying to race me in the pool. None of them has ever been able to beat me. It's amusing to see such fit-looking people who can't do more than a lap or two. It is about technique, but it's a different kind of endurance that most people don't have.

I never get into the pool unless I am going to swim at least a mile--72 lengths in the pool where I am currently swimming. If you are used to it, it's not boring. I find it rather meditative.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Absolutely don't give up!! I think of how I looked and felt 10 years ago when I wasn't able to finish a lap either. Lots of people helped and encouraged me along the way. You can do it, too.
  • crysryan150
    crysryan150 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am starting swimming for weight loss next month. I am super excited about doing something I love and losing weight doing it!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    There is a Swimming Group on MFP with lots of good comments and support.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers
    And Sub-Groups/Discussions such as http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1342951/did-you-swim-today#latest

You will see some of the people who have commented above as regular contributors.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    See, for me, it's as easy as walking and MUCH easier than running. I've been doing it my whole life.

That's why it's easy. I'm good at it, too. Because I was a competitive swimmer as a child, and have a background in several highly technical sports and activities. So yeah.

But an adult-onset swimmer? That's very different from what you and I do.

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

But swimming is so very technique based, it's pretty much like trying to run on a balance beam while doing the Twist. Until you have that down, you're going to be out of breath just trying to keep balanced.

See, for me, it's as easy as walking and MUCH easier than running. I've been doing it my whole life. I'm only about 20 pounds overweight at this point, but I am old. Young, buff guys are always trying to race me in the pool. None of them has ever been able to beat me. It's amusing to see such fit-looking people who can't do more than a lap or two. It is about technique, but it's a different kind of endurance that most people don't have.

I never get into the pool unless I am going to swim at least a mile--72 lengths in the pool where I am currently swimming. If you are used to it, it's not boring. I find it rather meditative.

I do an hour swim once a week and I agree it is very relaxing. It has helped me tremendously with foot pain as well. I think the movements of swimming have loosened up the joints that are stiff. Loving it and refuse to ever stop now:)

Backstroke is a great starter for beginners. Dont have to worry about the breathing much. Nothing wrong with taking a class to learn breathing.
  • kbornmann
    Options
    I swim 3-4 times a week for fitness and have found a few things to help keep things interesting and increase fitness...
    1) free website Swimplan.com gives you different workouts based on ability and time in the pool. You can also upgrade to get more personalized swim plans.

2) a great little book, appropriate for all levels is: The Waterproof Coach: The Waterproof Workout Book for Fitness Swimmers and Triathletes

3) and my newest toy - a waterproof iPod! I created playlists of varying lengths and intensities, and there are some 'albums' you can buy that are swim plans/coaches - I love having someone tell me what to do a couple of workouts a week.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Oh, oh, I learnt to swim just before Christmas. By the end of the class I could do 8- 25m lengths backstroke, but could just manage 1 good length front crawl, that breathing thing really held it back.
    I tended to gulp the air, so never felt I had a real lung full. Now I am practicing long slow breaths( less than a 2 sec break), and humming as I breath out, to make sure I am using my nose, haha.
    It is really helping me.
    I am doing 4 back 1 front to build stamina while improving breathing.
    I had a nice chat with azulvioleta6 a couple of weeks ago and her encouragement really spurred me on.

I think swimming is a good all round activity and really look forward to the day I can do lap after lap thinking of nothing.

Cheers, h.
  • turtle0022
    Options

I think swimming is a good all round activity and really look forward to the day I can do lap after lap thinking of nothing.

Cheers, h.

That's my goal too!

I'm sticking with swimming. Keep in mind my real formal swimming for exercise and not just treading water only began with lessons a month ago and I'm 56, so the breathing thing is challenging for me - never having learned it as a child. Today, though, I swam 50 minutes doing a combination of freestyle, breast and backstroke in mostly equal amounts. Could not make one length yet doing freestyle, but went further than before and then switched it out to breast stroke. I really enjoy reading all your responses. Middlehaitch, thanks for mentioning the humming... might try that next time!

Thanks all!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Turtle, you're singing my song!! I hope you jumped over and joined the swimming group that was suggested. I'm an adult learner too. I started because of a running injury (do you know how many of us are in the pool, lol?) I started in a water aerobics class and water jogging, but saw the lanes and thought, "Ooh, I'd love to be able to do that!" I'm still saying it! BUT, I'm improving. I try to work on one thing (keeping my head down, butt up, kick from the hip, side breathing... the list goes on) as I go down the lane. I know that as my technique improves, so will my endurance. For someone who is doing so much wrong in the pool, I'm doing more and more right. And the sense of accomplishment is like nothing I've ever experienced.

Keep it up! And know that there are awesome swimmers on mfp who will cheer your every victory :cookie: