Trying to Combine Half Marathon Training and Tough Mudder Training

Options
I've realized that to complete the Tough Mudder 'race' that I am going to need to not only work on strength and agility, but running stamina as well. I currently do not run. Period. In fact I really don't like running haha. This means that I want to do some half marathon training on top of the recommended Tough Mudder Circuit training. I, however, would really like to only workout 5 days a week, with 2 rest days.
For the first few weeks that should be ok as the half marathon training initially only calls for 2 days a week of running. As it progresses though it changes to 3 days a week. One of those days (Tuesday) becomes interval/hill/speed work, the next running day(thursday) is a little longer runs, and the 3rd running day (sunday) is the long run.
I want to do the tough mudder circuit training 3 days a week as that is what is recommended.
I'm not sure if I should ADD it onto one of the running days and do both formats full length. This would make for very long workouts (the circuit training itself is between 40-60 mins) and I already work full time and ride my horse 5 days a week. If I did this during the week I would have to make sure I could ride my horse on other days of the week so that day would be strictly for working out after work. I don't think I want to add it onto the long runs on sunday.
Or do I cut one run a week by half and add the circuit training to that. But which run do I cut in half, the speed/interval/ hill runs or the middle length run that's helping to lead me up to the long run? or do I switch it up and cut the tuesday run short one week and the thursday run the next week?
Or do I just need to suck it up and only have one rest day?

Right now, without combining anything my schedule would look like this
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Running (intervals/speed/hill)
Wednesday: Circuit
Thursday: Running (medium distance)
Friday: Circuit
Saturday: Circuit
Sunday: Running (long distance)

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    If you're a horsey person, you'll alreaady be plenty strong enough. I'm sure people will come with great suggestions but here's my take, as a triathloner!
    When I do too much weight training it really screws with my running, so I've learned to periodize my training into seasons.
    Winter is for bulking and maintaining my running.
    But from about this time of year I lean out (less fat to oxidize)get light (less horsepower), and get my speeds up. Weight training is an afterthought for maintenance. I don't need the mass to haul around, and the recovery and tightness prevents my running from getting better.
    Pull-ups, push-ups flexibility, agility and speed are what you need.

Check out Joe Friel, he explains all this stuff in his books. I use his triathlon bible, but he has running and cycling books too.

Also Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald. This book managed to get me a 21 minute 5k at 43 year old and 14 months running! I was 123lb though!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    What about two days a week of running, and then run 1-2 miles as a warmup on circuit days? That gives you mileage--which is the important thing--without forcing a dedicated running day.

Definitely cut out the speedwork, if you decide to drop something. Especially if you're a beginning runner, you'll see speed increase simply from adding distance (the running version of noob gains). Having a second, medium-long run will make the full distance soooo much easier. I think I maxed out at a 9 and a 12 mile, plus a 1-2 mile warmup for other stuff twice a week.

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm really not doing much of anything in the way of weight training and what I am doing is designed to help me make it over the obstacles that I will be dealing with during the Tough Mudder 'race' (https://toughmudder.com/events/what-is-tough-mudder) If you go to Prepare>Training and scroll down about halfway you will be able to see the workouts that I'm doing (being totally out of shape I am doing the mudderling to start.
    The circuit is half cardio (high knees, jumping jacks, burpees, etc.) then half strength/agility (mountain climbers, planks, push ups, pull ups, almost all with just body weight, at least at the mudderling level not sure about the harder levels)
    Though I ride, and likely am technically stronger than most women that don't do anything I am still really not strong. The circuit training is totally kicking my butt and I have to take rests throughout.

I could take out the speed work, but that's the same day during the week that I would some times be doing hillwork. I don't think I want to cut out hillwork as I will have to deal with hills I'm sure during my run. If I do cut back one of my runs a week, which run do I make it. The hillwork ones or the middle distance ones (I would be losing a lot of km's cutting down to 1-2 miles on the middle distance ones and I'm not sure, since I am NOT a runner, how that would affect me for the long distance runs)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I would question whether that HM plan is adequate for a non-runner, I really wouldn't gp below 3pw, although I'd agree that you should replace the speedwork with a steady paced session. As a newbie you'll be getting no value from speedwork.
  • missjacki
    Options
    well, as a triathlete I can tell you that it is pretty much mandatory to have some days where I do 2 workouts. That can either be 1 really long workout where I combine 2 "sports" or it can be morning/evening.

Currently I am training for a half marathon and a triathlon. As such, I've had to significantly reduce my strength training due to just plain running out of time.

My workout plan looks something like this:

Monday: long swim, minor calisthenics (15 mins of pushups, pullups, situps, burpees)
    Tuesday:[/b] short run, short swim, weight training as time permits
    Wednesday: off
    Thursday: long run, minor calisthenics
    Friday: long bike, minor calisthenics
    Saturday: off
    Sunday: medium swim, medium run, weight training as time permits

As I get closer to the triathlon I'll have to swap a run for a bike.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I did run a half, very well (for me), on 2 dedicated days of running plus a 1 mile warmup 2x/wk for cross-training.

I do think what made a difference was that my second run was also somewhat long (my post above should have stressed that my max week was 9 miles on Wednesday and 12 miles on the weekend). Miles on my feet, plus extra endurance. I finished the race very strong, actually negative split it.

If you want hills, do you longer runs on a route where there are hills. You don't need dedicated up-down-up-down-up-down days.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I did run a half, very well (for me), on 2 dedicated days of running plus a 1 mile warmup 2x/wk for cross-training.

From non-runner?

Sounds like a recipe for injury to me

• cheshirecatastrophe
    Options

From non-runner?

Sounds like a recipe for injury to me

Non-runner at the time! I started with a 10K last spring and just never stopped.

I made it to and through the half with no injuries. Got hurt training for a marathon on 4x/wk. I was too ambitious, bordering on aggressive, with the schedule for that one and I knew it, but I wanted to run (and did) a particular race.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    why don't we go ahead and cycle those running plans down to a 10k there, chief? you don't need to be able to run a half to finish a TM. not even close.

honestly, if you want to run more than walk it, getting yourself to the point where you can run 4-5 miles continuously will be MORE than enough. i don't know which course you're doing, but i can pretty much guarantee the longest continuous stretch of running will be around 1.5 miles. maybe less.

the rest will be short runs (or walks) between obstacles, recovering from obstacles, waiting for teammates to finish obstacles, and probably some really ugly hill climbs (at a walking pace)

and i'd ease up on all sprinting and intervals for the time being. you have zero running base. build a running base. run/walk as much as you can to build up to a continuous 5k running base. then build that some more. your main focus (running wise) is to get some miles in so that your body adapts. your main focus otherwise should be on pullups
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Thank you.
    With the race being 18-20k you think I would be ok with only working up to 10k? I really don't want to end up exhausted half way through and not finish up well.
    I really don't think I should cut down on my circuit training due to all the obstacles I will have to deal with. I need to be able to deal with those.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    first, it's not a race. it's a challenge. there's no times, and my favorite thing about the TMs i've done is the sense of camaraderie. besides my team helping each other conquer obstacles, no one hesitates to help complete strangers.

second, you ARE going to finish exhausted. your first one is probably going to be around 4 hours. at least 2 of those hours are going to be painful. concentrate on finishing, not so much finishing well.

third, i'm not saying to not do your circuit training. that's actually pretty helpful for an obstacle course. the reason i jumped into this thread after ignoring your first thread is because i believe you need to rein your running plan in a bit. because HM training from no base is going to severely interfere with your strength training (also from a limited base)

i could be wrong tho
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half and the 3 Spartan races I'm doing in September (I'm also doing many other races this year, but those are the main ones). When I'm totally "on", my schedule is as follows:

(I follow Hal Higdon's half training plan and Ice Cream Fitness for lifting)

Monday - morning, short training run
    - evening, strength training

Tuesday - morning, bootcamp (note that I only do this because my friend wants to do it, if I felt less guilty about ditching her I would drop my evening strength training and do it here instead)

Wednesday - morning, short training run
    - evening, strength training

Thursday - morning, bootcamp
    - evening, yoga

Friday - rest

Saturday - long training run

Sunday - rest

I have a moderate level of fitness, but I only did my first 5K in July 2014 so I'm very new to running. I schedule according to my own life schedule, so you will have to find times that work for you and just stick to it! :)
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    first, it's not a race. it's a challenge. there's no times, and my favorite thing about the TMs i've done is the sense of camaraderie. besides my team helping each other conquer obstacles, no one hesitates to help complete strangers.
    I know it's not a race, that's why I made sure to always put it in quotes
    second, you ARE going to finish exhausted. your first one is probably going to be around 4 hours. at least 2 of those hours are going to be painful. concentrate on finishing, not so much finishing well.

third, i'm not saying to not do your circuit training. that's actually pretty helpful for an obstacle course. the reason i jumped into this thread after ignoring your first thread is because i believe you need to rein your running plan in a bit. because HM training from no base is going to severely interfere with your strength training (also from a limited base)
    I know you didn't say to cut down on my circuit/strength training, but others suggested it.
    i could be wrong tho

Thanks for the replies. I will see about doing more of a 10k amount of training. I ran just under 6kms today and didn't find it too terribly difficult. Ran 9-13 min intervals with one min walks. First few sessions I ran at 4.6, last session at 5.0, with the final minute at 7.0. Total of 50 mins. However this was on a treadmill (-22*C and snowing today) so easier than an outside run on varying terrain.