Ugh Looking for advice..

Options
how can I succeed when I try to cook both for myself (who's trying to lose weight) and my boyfriend (who's is so skinny and hungry all the time).
I wouldn't normally even consider cooking for both of us but with time I learned that if he is hungry he will just go and buy some deliciously unhealthy food that I cannot resist..
Does anyone have this problem?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You can always have less of whatever you make if it's something calorically dense. Otherwise, it may be useful to do separate meal preps for the two of you, or getting him involved in the cooking process.
  • didsomeonesaypizza
    didsomeonesaypizza Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with my husband sometimes. What you should keep in mind is that eating less does not mean you'll lose more weight. It's what you eat that matters, and where those calories go. I try to make protein dense, vegetable heavy meals that also include a starch so that we both stay full and I don't gain weight. With protein, fiber, and one carb serving, you're much less likely to keep snacking after a meal. And if you work out, you get to eat more (though always moderately of course!). Try to get your boyfriend to recognize that this is important to you, but also, find your own willpower and some awesome recipes too!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can eat the same foods. My husband and I eat the same meals, as does our daughter. Just different portions.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Whatever you cook, divide in 3: 1 portion for you, 2 portions for him.

It's not what you eat, it's how much.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You can eat the same foods. My husband and I eat the same meals, as does our daughter. Just different portions.
    This is how we do it in our household, too.
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. Here's my tip: cook what you would, and then add a light side dish (salad, veggies, whatever you like) into a mix, and then you can both get a meal catered to your needs: your boyfriend can have a bigger portion of the main dish and a little bit of salad (example), you can have a smaller main dish and a large salad with it. Or, if you are having pasta/rice/potatoes as a side dish, only boil enough for him and replace yours with a salad to skimp on calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Whatever you cook, divide in 3: 1 portion for you, 2 portions for him.

It's not what you eat, it's how much.

This.

My husband is bulking while I lose, so he just gets bigger portions, full fat dairy, an extra slice of bread etc
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    At first I cooked 2 different meals for both of us. Or sometimes I would just cook protein, veggies and carbs separately so I could make my own plate. Now I have re-introduced carbs slowly, and I simply have WAY less (like 0.5-1C of starch such as rice). I look at the plates I have now, and it's crazy how bigger of a portion I used to eat. I would literally stuff myself and fall into a food coma every night lol. So glad that I don't feel like this anymore. :) I did eat ''bad foods'' since beginning my WL (really, who's perfect 100% all the way to the end!?) but I did not go overboard like I used to.

Like the others said, it about eating LESS. But, you have to find whatever works for you and stick to it. It takes a lot of will-power when your partner is not on board, but it develops a lot of self-discipline which is so important in the long run.

Good luck! You can do this ♥
  • horrorstories
    horrorstories Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im trying to lose weight and vegan. My boyfriend is a 300lbs athlete, always hungry and meat lover. I know your struggle. I only cook dinner (and breakfast on occasion) because I work full time and am enrolled in university full time.

Basically what I do is make 3 times the amount of food that I plan on eating, then feed him 2 portions and me 1. Then for the rest of the night he is on his own if he is still hungry.

Good luck!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You can portion control like they all said , ask him not to bring deliciously unhealthy food into the house or just resist.

Good amounts of exercise will earn you more calories.
  • shaicg
    shaicg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone! These are some really good advices!!