How far have you come this last year?

Options
I wanted to start a thread to help some of the newbies stay motivated. I figured what a better way than tid-bits from those that have been at this a while.

I figure the gung-ho newbie-ness might need a bit of inspiration a month in to the new year.

So please post something that has changed for you this last year. How you stay motivated, accomplishments ect.. I want to hear your greatness!

My 2014
I have logged 534.42 miles in 2014 running, walking, but mostly biking. And burned 46,894 calories. That's about 13.4 pounds I didn't gain, if I hadn't been out there.

I ran my best 5K PR, its still slow 35.54. But amazing to me since it was the first one I ran without walking at all. I'm sure that's because I was more focused on my son who tried to kill himself the day before... (he was in a safe place, I wasn't neglecting him, self torture seemed right).

I also have learned the value of eating cleaner. Who knew burgers and pizza really do make you fat even if I am engaged in regular physical activity.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• jlwhidby
    jlwhidby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My 2014: finally made up my mind about being healthy. I started my journey in early May 2014. I was keeping a physical journal which became hard to maintain. I started up with MFP and it has made this so much easier. By January 2015 I had lost 56lbs. I am now at 60lbs.

So I guess a lot has changed for me in 2014: my eating habits, my exercise habits, and my confidence in myself and my abilities. My body has changed so much, and I am in jeans that I wore in high school. How I view myself has changed. How I shop and conduct daily life has changed.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    C'mon. I know there are more of you out there that have made gains this last year.

Don't you want to show others how far they can come in a year?
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    2014 was a life changing year for me. In January I had a heart attack. When that did not kill me I knew I had to make changes. I quit smoking and started taking care of myself. I joined MFP in March, changed my eating habits and started walking. I lost just over 22 lbs and I have not felt this good in many years. I feel 10 years younger. I have logged over 1200 miles in 10 months by walking. I live with chronic back pain ( I have had 2 spinal fusion surgeries) and the walking helps me manage my pain.

I consider my heart attack a blessing in disguise. I have my health and a new lease on life.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I started in July 2014. I've lost 72 lbs with a goal of another 48 this year. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, acid reflux, and was on 5 prescriptions. Now I've got them all under control and I'm already down to just 2 prescriptions.
    MFP has been life changing for me. I have finally found the way to manage my fitness for the long term.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I started dieting in October, and swimming in August.

I took 8 minutes off my mile time and lost 20 lbs.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    2014 is when I restarted mfp and finally recommitted to losing weight. from aug 15 to the end of the year I took off 25 lbs.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking Jan 2014, then started MFP at the end of May 2014. Have lost 74 lbs and according to my Fitbit I have walked to Italy.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    In 2014 I lost about 25 lbs. but went from a size 12 to 2/4. I developed some strength, still doing cardio but added body weight strength training. I have taken on personal challenges doing Bicycle Crunches, Push Ups, Jumping Jacks and Jumping Rope - basically thing I didn't like that I wanted to overcome. I increased my walking, and started walking to work and/or home (3+ miles). This month I took the challenge to walk 200 miles (via Fitbit) despite the cold weather - I'm trying not to be active only in fair-weather :)
  • Annanna91
    Annanna91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Last Christmas my parents brought a treadmill for the family, so in January 2014 I started running regularly on it and watching what I ate, along with other workouts such as T25. I've managed to lose around 24lbs in the past year through doing so and I feel so much better about myself. I went from a UK size 14 to between an 8/10 and I love showing off my smaller frame.

It may have started off as a diet and fad exercising, but it's now become my lifestyle and I'm so glad that it has. My goal for 2015 is to gain definition in my abs and to reduce my body fat percentage. Knowing that I nailed by target last year fills me with great joy for the future.
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was at 180 pounds in July and had just started buying size 18 pants. (I'm 5'2") Last time I weighed myself I was 151 pounds. The size 12's are getting a little roomy, the 10's still too tight. I walk almost everyday about 3 miles. BP has gone way down. I've learned that I can sustain this lifestyle change and I think that's the most important thing.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    This thread is great motivation for everyone on a long journey. I started working out in July of 2014 when I weighed 230. I had no idea what I was doing, only knew that I needed to start moving. I lost about 35 pounds in 2014 just by logging and exercising. I hope to reach my goal weight in 2015. :D
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    IMG_20150228_135204_zpskvmuzafj.jpg

I keep loosing a few pounds only to regain it. I'm targeting 115-118. I have a small frame. And its not about the number, perhaps I can gain some muscle and stay around 125-127. But that's just heavy for me right now. My waist is 30 -31.

Love to hear others stories about how this was achieved without starvation. I want to eat and have the energy to work out a few times a week.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    In the last year, I have gained a much better relationship with my body. I've gained back a stone (but it was much needed), put on a noticeable amount of muscle which has given me the shape I'd been hopelessly trying to achieve through dieting and wishing, participated in 5K and 10K running events which I loved, and generally become much fitter, stronger and happier. I have a greater appreciation for my body than I did before, and mentally I'm working to overcome bad habits like emotional eating, being too strict, and feeling pressured to eat food I don't actually want.

The road to satisfaction and acceptance of your body and weight is a long one that often goes beyond just losing weight and then reaching 'the goal'. You have to be both persistent and willing to listen to advice and adapt. Be proud of what you achieve, whether that's a 10lb goal, trying a new exercise class, or learning how to cook rather than order takeaway. And be kind to yourself on days that don't go to plan.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    ive gone from 387lb to 222lb

from a uk size 32 to a uk size 18 ( occasionally a 16 )
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'10" white boy with a 36" vert...pretty sure when I'm done with this cut I'll be able to hit 42" or at least be close. I've been working on a lot of plyometrics stuff along with my Oly lifting.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Since February 2014 I've lost 89 pounds, started running, dropped 4 pant sizes, and feel so much better about myself.