Anyone here with PCOS?

kleavitt1992
kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
edited September 27 in Introduce Yourself
I've lost 37lbs so far but if you have pcos and have any advice that would be great

Replies

• brendi_lynn
    brendi_lynn Posts: 19
    I have pcos. the medication Metformin works great.
  • ruchilady
    ruchilady Posts: 8
    Yes! Good job on the weight loss....I'm down 21 pounds. I also have hypothyroidism :( What advice do you need?
  • kleavitt1992
    yea i take met too i really want to get off it tho cause college student with no alcohol is kinda hard...
  • msmokie
    msmokie Posts: 16
    What is PCOS? And isn't metformin used for MS?
  • kleavitt1992
    and more of a comparision so with pcos we store weight in our mid section do you have kind of a w (not that severe but still shape i have like a weird fat pucker that has i guess developed as i lost weight and wondered if anyone else had that lol like not oh and if anyone tried a low gi diet compared to a traditonal one and if it worked faster or better
  • springfan
    springfan Posts: 39 Member
    I also have PCOS and Hypothyroidism. I also take Metformin for the PCOS, switched to a low GI diet, and go to the gym five days a week. I am now down 81 pounds. Congrats on your weight loss also!
  • kleavitt1992
    PCOS is polycystic ovary syndrome its where instead of having a period that month u develop a cyst on your ovary because it didnt get the sginal to drop it most woman that have pcos have insulin resistance and metformin is a diabetes medication which helps lower insulin levels which insulin is a hormone so it helps regulate all the other hormones in your body making your periods more reg
  • msmokie
    msmokie Posts: 16
    Did have it but had my ovaries removed a few months ago. Already passed the child bearing years. Also about metformin, I forgot that it is used to treat diabetes. Your weight loss is great & you look stunning.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I have not been diagnosed with PCOS. As a matter of fact, after nearly one year, two doctors and one minor surgery, I haven't been diagnosed with anything. To their credit, my symptoms are not particularly well lined up with PCOS. However, I am following the diet guidelines for insulin resistance in the hopes of straightening my hormones out. Double bonus since so many of my cousins have recently been diagnosed with diabetes.

For me, the most frustrating part is that getting a complete picture involves so much research. Nothing I read about PCOS or insulin resistance mentioned the potential issues with soy. Having adopted an insulin resistance diet, I recently read a study about high protein diets causing ovulatory infertility (basically, what leads to some of the symptoms of PCOS, and so, by my logic, not likely to straighten out hormonal issues) - I had to take a really close look at their numbers to realize that although many consider my diet high protein, it was on the low end of their scale (77 being low, ~150 being high).
  • kleavitt1992
    @concordancia I have no idea if this will be helpful for you or not but when i've had alot of problems for the past 6 years the doctors telling me they were all dif. unrelated issues the skin on the back of my neck that before almost looked like leppercy (acanthosis nigricans) when insulin is seeping out of your pores. i was told it was a birthmark even tho i said to them multiple times i had not had it since i was born. my periods being irregular i was told i was still young and they would even out or i could just be put on birth control, excess hair i could get waxed gaining 10lbs each year for 4 years was all my fault. Then i went on WebMD and figured out i had all the symptoms of PCOS so i presented that to my doctor then she started doing tests etc. then abandoned her practice without telling me finally took all those blood test results and many more that my current doctor took (and endocrinologist and in December was offically digagnosed with PCOS and started taking metformin) anyway all in all webMD put in every little thing that bothers you and see what it says also if ur not going to an endocrinologist u should
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I was actually evaluated for PCOS in the past, but it was determined that the hair loss and fatigue were more consistent with stress (I was in grad school).

My current symptoms are not consistent with PCOS - no further hair loss, no hirsutism, no missed periods...however it seems most likely that the cause is hormonal and the two doctors in a row have thrown BC at me when they ran out of other options. I am just giving a concentrated effort to a dietary fix before opting for extremely invasive surgery. I know that my endometrium isn't working properly, but I am not quite ready to burn it out, especially since I am still a few years shy of the ideal age for ablation.
  • I have struggled with PCOS for almost 10 years. I reached my first weight loss goal of 50lbs this January and I'm now just trying to lose enough for my other symptoms to go away. I will have to check into the Metformin, I've never heard of it, I'm currently on BC and that helps keep my hormones sort of normal haha. I'm also trying to correct it by cutting out dairy, soy products and basically any processed foods from my diet. Let me know if anyone's had success with that approach before!
This discussion has been closed.