met with a diet coach today...was a good experience BUT

Options
Best weight loss coach (of course i have never really had one but most personal trainers that i have had bad experiences with think they are coaches and nutritionists, lol) i have ever me with as this person did not tell me what to eat, how to eat it, or anything. This was more of a mental training which i found amazing. I agree with everything they suggest (they make it so simple) except they want us to "journal" (like written journal) everything. I LOVE MFP and they said we can use those apps to find calories but do not use them to track as if we add is exercise it will just confuse us and encourage us to eat more. I sort of agree with this as i am one of these people who likes to exercise ....just to get my stress out honestly...and I also like to see the rewards of burning the calories but not sure we should be eating back those calories. They recommend the typical 1200-1400 per day calories (i have over 100 lbs to lose) but i also like to exercise. My coach said i could log on MFP and then also keep a manual journal as well for her to see which i can do and have no problem with but not to log my exercise. Can we turn this off somehow on MFP. Can we log it and see the calories but not have it effect our calories for the day?

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the calories manually. Just put '1' in place of MFP's assumed calorie burn.
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use to log in my exercise and not eat the calories, but now I have a polar and it tells me how many calories I burn and how many steps I take every day so I just put the information in my notes at the bottom of the diary page. Remember to save the post before you close your page.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I recently changed my calorie setting to be based off my activity level (TDEE method) which gives me a set number to eat daily instead of MFP's system of eating back exercise calories. I do still log my workouts, but I ignore the calories left and stick to my set number
  • laralosingit42
    laralosingit42 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    no the coach is not using the TDEE method. They are using the eat between 1200-1400 calories per day method and dont log exercise...."losing weight is just math" so they do not want me to log my exercise as they say the apps are confusing and if you eat back your exercise calories you will not lose weight as fast. they don mind me to lose the app in order to log daily but i still have to write it all down each day and show them a manual journal. I actually agree with all these apps the "net calorie" thing is a confusing approach. I wish we could disable it or something
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    that is a very low calorie range with so much to lose.
  • laralosingit42
    Options
    yes i know...that is the part about it i am not sure about. I am sure I will lose weight at that level but knowing me i will be starving. i love the coach and MFP so not sure what to do.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    that is a very low calorie range with so much to lose.
    +1, Why so aggressive of a deficit? With 100 lbs to lose, regardless of your height and weight, you should be able to lose weight on a fair bit more calories. Plus it leaves you room to reduce calories later if needed. At a 1200 calorie starting point, you've left virtually no room to reduce if necessary.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I do wonder if there is a presumption you will not weigh or measure your intake accurately enough and that is the wiggle room.

That, or you have a physical condition that prevents hard core exercise.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I recently changed my calorie setting to be based off my activity level (TDEE method) which gives me a set number to eat daily instead of MFP's system of eating back exercise calories. I do still log my workouts, but I ignore the calories left and stick to my set number

I do this^ but log exercise using "1" as calories burned to avoid confusion.

However if you have 100lb to lose, eating 1200-1400 cal a day seems unsustainable, unless you have a medical condition that makes the comparative benefit of losing the weight quickly greater than the comparative health risks (not to mention discomfort...)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I have 93 to lose. I'm eating more like 1780. I also swim 5-6 miles a week.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Best weight loss coach (of course i have never really had one but most personal trainers that i have had bad experiences with think they are coaches and nutritionists, lol) i have ever me with as this person did not tell me what to eat, how to eat it, or anything. This was more of a mental training which i found amazing. I agree with everything they suggest (they make it so simple) except they want us to "journal" (like written journal) everything. I LOVE MFP and they said we can use those apps to find calories but do not use them to track as if we add is exercise it will just confuse us and encourage us to eat more. I sort of agree with this as i am one of these people who likes to exercise ....just to get my stress out honestly...and I also like to see the rewards of burning the calories but not sure we should be eating back those calories. They recommend the typical 1200-1400 per day calories (i have over 100 lbs to lose) but i also like to exercise. My coach said i could log on MFP and then also keep a manual journal as well for her to see which i can do and have no problem with but not to log my exercise. Can we turn this off somehow on MFP. Can we log it and see the calories but not have it effect our calories for the day?

Uh. Your diet coach is shite. You SHOULD be encouraged to eat as much food as possible. MFP does NET calories, meaning it doesn't include your exercise burns. This is why you are SUPPOSED to log and eat back at least half of those calories. And for a coach to advise that you gross 1200-1400 without basing it on any actual personal stats, especially with you needing to lose 100lbs, that's just TERRIBLE.

If you paid for this, I suggest demanding a refund.
  • ana3067
    Options
    no the coach is not using the TDEE method. They are using the eat between 1200-1400 calories per day method and dont log exercise...."losing weight is just math" so they do not want me to log my exercise as they say the apps are confusing and if you eat back your exercise calories you will not lose weight as fast. they don mind me to lose the app in order to log daily but i still have to write it all down each day and show them a manual journal. I actually agree with all these apps the "net calorie" thing is a confusing approach. I wish we could disable it or something

Your coach is horrible. This person should not be giving this kind of advice to people.

If net is confusing to you then estimate your TDEE properly through websites like health-calc.com or exrx.net, and include your regular exercise in the equation, and then subtract 20% from the number to achieve a ~1lb/week loss rate. If you lose significantly faster than this after your first month, then increase your calories by 100.
  • laralosingit42
    Options
    well the coach is great because they break it down in simple terms.... both of the coaches (women who own the company) lost weight very quickly without even exercising in saying weight loss is just math and nobody can argue with that. I just like to exercise and like to log it as it makes me feel good about myself (that i exercise...mostly for stress related anxiety). I believe their approach is good however do not agree with the range of calories. Also i know there is a huge debate if one should eat back exercise calories.....what does everyone do here? eat back or not? I totally agree i need more than 1200 calories per day. That part i do not agree with my coach. I will feel starved and end up binging.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Diet coach?

Don't take nutrition advice from anyone except a registered dietician.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    You can always log your exercise and then change the calorie burn to a lower number if you think it is inflated. Another thing you can do is list your exercise in the notes section, but not actually log it for calories. However, you can log the exercise and eat back the calories, and still lose weight, as long as you are doing everything correctly and stay in a deficit. It is just math. You do burn more calories when you exercise, so you do get to eat more without erasing your deficit.
  • laralosingit42
    Options
    okay so this is more of a mental coach, somebody who is helping me with my emotional eating issues. Yes I agree that i should not take nutrition advice from them and they say upfront they do not offer than but more of emotional support once per week but the only thing that stumped me was the 1200-1400 range and also not to count my exercise in my calories as that is just a bonus. They also want me to write everything down and that seems annoying as i HATE paper/pen stuff, i type faster than i write. They told me not to use apps like MFP (well i could use it but then need to still write it down or just to look up calorie counts) as they are confusing ....this subject on which i completely agree. The net calorie thing on most weight loss apps screws with my head completely. always has.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So, are you saying that these diet coaches don't exercise and that exercise is not part of their "plan"? If so, what is it they do? You said they don't tell you what to eat, just how many calories to eat. What else? I'm honestly curious. I wonder why they don't encourage exercise.

55835802.png
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I think trying to stick to 1300 calories while exercising might mess with your head even more.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100lbs at 1700 calories per day. What they are suggesting is wrong. When you do lose at 1400, you will have no place to go.
  • ana3067
    Options
    well the coach is great because they break it down in simple terms.... both of the coaches (women who own the company) lost weight very quickly without even exercising in saying weight loss is just math and nobody can argue with that. I just like to exercise and like to log it as it makes me feel good about myself (that i exercise...mostly for stress related anxiety). I believe their approach is good however do not agree with the range of calories. Also i know there is a huge debate if one should eat back exercise calories.....what does everyone do here? eat back or not? I totally agree i need more than 1200 calories per day. That part i do not agree with my coach. I will feel starved and end up binging.

Weight loss IS just math. And they are not using math to help you. They lost weight in an unrecommended/unhealthy manner, assuming they use the same advice they are peddling to paying customers. If you use net calorie method then you need to eat your exercise calories.

Let's say that without exercise, you can eat 2600 calories to maintain your weight. You set up a reasonable net goal of 2080 calories (~1lb/week loss). You exercise and burn 200 calories, and let's say that we know that this is actually how much you burned. This means that your day's maintenance is now 2800 calories. If you only eat 2080, you have a 720 calorie deficit now instead of a 520 deficit. You will lose faster, but it's also not an ideal approach. You need to nourish your body and fuel it to help sustain your lifestyle.

When to eat back calories: Using net maintenance approach
    When NOT to eat back calories: Using TDEE approach, which already accounts for your exercise burns.

If your exercise is consistent then go ahead and estimate your TDEE. If it isn't then stick to net, log the exercise, and eat at least 50% of those calories. Logging 50% of the time would make this easier because then you can still eat to your full calorie goal.